Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Poll: If you stopped watching the most recent ER (or never started), what was your main reason for doing so?

• 126 results
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By CL60

@DoctorWelch said:

My main reason for stopping watching it and objecting to the creation of it from the beginning is that they went about creating this ER in the same way that they went about creating the other ERs without trying to replicate what made the ERs entertaining. My basic explanation of that is as follows:

If you somehow stumble upon something that is unique and entertaining to people (in this case the ER) you do not recreate it by stumbling into it again. You instead try to understand what made the last thing entertaining and enjoyable for viewers and recreate those parts. In other words, just because Jeff and Vinny stumbled into the ER the first time by just playing a game that they never would have played if they had not made the ER, does not mean that's what made the ER entertaining. What made the ER entertaining is the story driven game combined with the specific commentary you get when you have Jeff watching and participating with Vinny in play a game. Therefore, the choice of game and choice of players runs completely counter to anything and everything that makes an ER entertaining.

This combined with their constant bitching about people asking for a new ER displays a lack of professionalism and pure childishness on the part of the GB crew (all except Vinny cause that guy is always super nice and awesome...and Brad too cause I dont think he really cares either way).

Nailed it.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By huntad

I wanted to finish it for myself, for the first time, before watching it. If I had to choose another reason it's that it just wasn't funny. I watch them for the humor and hardly for the games themselves.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By George_Hukas

I couldn't appreciate the boys' commentary like I did with past ERs. Patrick was being a bit of a "backseat driver" at times, but it just seemed like he wanted to play. Not going into this blind didn't help, any previous knowledge of Chrono Trigger tainted a blissfully ignorant experience.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By Vorbis

Patrick and his spoilers, either it was lucky guesses or he remembered more than he was letting on, some of it might of seemed obvious to him but for someone who hadn't seen the game before, it was pretty infuriating.

The fact he had already played it and knew what was coming killed what made the other ERs great. Jeff may have had a couple of things spoiled for him while playing P4, but he didn't know everything.

Wasn't the main reason though, I didn't have time to keep up but I guess the fact he had already played it meant I didn't try to make the time for it. Will watch it all eventually.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Aetheldod

@Cincaid said:

Had to vote "Other" since I watched and loved it, but wanted to see the results.

I did this too :P

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By hawkinson76

When they forgot about 2poc, their time ship, and WALKED back to the future, the frustration made me a little queasy. Despite that I started the next episode, but then they jumped right back into the time ship without explanation I felt weird, dissapointed? or like I was being played? Addressing their mistake could have been funny, or at least mentioning that there was an offline discussion about the error might have helped. In the other endurance runs Jeff was always up front about when he was using outside info (like the quiz answers in Persona). Anyway, the result is a negative sentiment that sours my interest for now. I may go back.

Edit: upon viewing other comments, I want to stress that it is NOT the genre that turns me off. The persona endurance run was my favorite, I watched every grindy, fusing minute, and it inspired me to play through the game my self, ending at around 100 hours of play time. my kids watched a lot of it too, and for them giant bomb is just another channel on TV. If genre had any negative effect, it was due to Ryan and Patrick being slow to pick up the mechanics, I assume that Jeff or Brad would have handled the game's systems better (that said, Ryan did well in some tough boss fights).

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By Zleunamme

I fell behind and didn't catch up. This endurance run didn't have same charm as the last two. Another question people should ask if this endurance run encouraged people to play Chrono Trigger? One of the points for the endurance run was for the GB staff to play a game that will probably never get a chance to. A 16-bit JRPG is a huge time investment and they have a website to run.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By galiant

"Other" because I enjoyed it and wanted to see the results.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#59  Edited By Kidavenger

I watched and enjoyed most of it, only problem I had was that I tend to watch them a few weeks after they come out and since I was drawn in to watch the finale live, I don't know if I'll go back to watch the ten or so that I missed.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Patrick. Sorry, man.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By penguindust

"Other" - Never started it because I just don't have the time to get involved with an ER. I have enough trouble keeping up with the Quick Looks.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By david3cm

@SteamPunkJin: if you dont have time to watch people play games, what do you do on this site?

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By Elazul

@ShadowConqueror said:

Patrick. Sorry, man.

Y'know, I just came in here to see the results, but Patrick's totally the reason my buddy didn't watch it despite watching both of the previous ERs. Ironically, the fact that I "put up" with Patrick's commentary at first and ended up watching the whole thing actually made me warm to him a great deal.

coruptai125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By coruptai125

I put general dislike of the game because I generally find the game boring. I tried to play it on the DS but I think it's time has passed for me. Even still I think Ryan and Patrick just don't make a good pair. Vinny and Jeff always seemed very natural when commentating on their endurance runs. It's kind of a trifecta of reasons for me as to why I gave up on this endurance run. Boring to watch, Boring commentary, and an overall lack of spirit from both the community and the staff.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ShaggE

I like waiting until it's complete before diving in.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By 49th

I don't really like watching people play through games any more, it's just not something that I find fun. Especially with something like Chrono Trigger, I've never played it so I don't have that nostalgic thing going on, and I'm probably never going to play it because I'm not into that type of game so watching it is just like a waste of time because I don't give a shit overall.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jack268

I don't care about the game at all and I can barely enjoy quicklooks without Vinny in them so I'm not very interested in watching like a hundred hours of Ryan and Patrick unfortunately. 

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By phantomzxro

Just think it was a bad pairing with a bad choice of game. I think ryan pat play well off of others but does not work when they are both together. What made the ryan and brad DP run fun was Ryan knowledge of twin peaks and brad often sucking at games sometimes.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By liako21

my cocaine addiction...oh wait................................................................

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By Klei

I don't care about Endurance Run made by GiantBomb. I watch Let's Plays on youtube, and their tons better to me. I don't really know why.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Klei said:

I don't care about Endurance Run made by GiantBomb. I watch Let's Plays on youtube, and their tons better to me. I don't really know why.

Quality control. There's more quality control.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I had to stop watching cause well..it kinda ended 

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Swoxx said:

I watched one episode.

E, because the game isn't bad, but it's too old and lacks voice acting which makes for a really boring viewing experience, in my opinion.

This.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Hunter5024

I watched the whole thing, and just didnt enjoy it as much as p4 (I couldnt even finish deadly premonition though because that game was so boring) I think all of those reasons are pretty valid, I think ryan and patrick are great but they rarely had anything interesting to say about this game, and that may be my fault because i've played it a ton. Im pretty happy that they tried something different at least though.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ReVamp

Yeah, personally it had to do with the game and its age.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By hughesman

I skipped quite a few episodes just due to not quite having the time to watch all of them, but i thought the ER was fantastic. It actually gave me an appreciation of JRPGs in general and im excited to start playing a whole genre i was negleting. I know this isnt what this topic is about but if anyone has any suggestions of a good classic JRPG to start out with it would be appreciated.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By GunslingerPanda

It was boring. Poor game choice and Ryan and Patrick didn't make a very enjoyable commentary team.

pacmanlh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By pacmanlh

The game got repetitive and the only thing that would have saved it for me was Patrick and Ryan talking more, but they mostly got quiet and were too serious about the game (if that makes any sense). It just ran out of steam and I could give a shit what happens to Lavos now. It's a shame really.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#79  Edited By project343

Sort of a multi-part answer. Dislike JRPGs, especially watching them. And I generally don't have the time to invest in an Endurance Run.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#80  Edited By Zippedbinders

I didn't watch the P4 ER, since I wanted to avoid spoilers as I was playing it at the time. I loved the Deadly Premonition one since its such a bizarre game and I knew I was never going to play it myself.

With CT, I'm just not interested in seeing these guys play this game, its a highly known quantity (everyone and their mother have done a play through of it) and just doesn't seem like it would be that interesting to watch.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Subjugation

Other. I can't believe you didn't put an option for "I don't have enough time."

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just wasn't a very enjoyable viewing experience for me. The commentary wasn't particularly interesting, and Patrick and Ryan often seemed completely detached from the game to even make interesting commentary anyway. Couple that with the fact that it's a SNES game, so there's almost never very interesting activity going on on-screen and there's certainly no voice acting, and you have the makings of a whole lot of dead air. It reached the point where I finally told myself "I am not getting anything out of watching this that I wouldn't find in a no-audio Let's Play." and I quit watching.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By iPliskin

Does Let's Play has funny commentary? that's what makes an ER watchable for me, and i don't see Red Dead on the list, that's the only console game i'm interested in. If you know those guys or post at SA, please tell them to make an ER of that game.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By MeierTheRed

Game is equally as boring as Persona 4.

Progman9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#85  Edited By Progman9000

I watched the first half a dozen episodes or so. Then I remembered that I've never beaten Chrono Trigger and would really like to do so one day. So I stopped watching.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Kyreo

I don't have enough time.

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Brother_PipPop

I really liked it for like the first ten episodes. Then I stopped for a few. Then I came back in the middles for a few episodes. Then finished with watching it live. I liked it overall and when a new video was posted I would watch it/skim through it. But there was just something that didn't suck me in like Deadly premonition and Persona. And no it wasn't Ryan and Patrick, I really enjoyed listening to them. I don;t know I guess I just couldn't...endure.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Legend: @CL60: Thanks :)

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By phrali

because chrono trigger ugh.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im gonna pick other because I just never had time to watch them

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#91  Edited By SMTDante89

Other. I got to watch the first episode and part of the second, then I had to focus on papers and my finals and I just never quite recovered enough to start watching them again.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#92  Edited By tallTuck94

I chose E

After 20 episodes i was bored out of my mind with the generic rpg crap, Patrick and Ryan's commentary was the only reason i kept watching for so long

It didn't even have the quirkiness of persona or deadly premonition and that's why this ER was destined to fail in my eyes

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By kindgineer

I found myself turning them off before episode ended merely because I just didn't fin Patrick or Ryan funny. I can't say that the other ER's had me rolling around the floor laughing, but it seemed more like they were just putting out reactionary jokes instead of being witty and I just got bored. I didn't voted because I watched them to the end, but at the same time I did cancel out a good bit because of that.

Soren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Soren

I checked out at around episode 10, at which point I was simply bored to tears. Not that I'd have enough time to stay caught up with it either way.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#95  Edited By Dimsey

I'd love to watch it but it basically came down to time.
    I watched the first 15 or so episodes and they were great but I've trouble squeezing time for this in amongst everything else I'd like to or have to do, so this lost out for now.
    Would like to go back at some point and see it through.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I stopped watching when George Clooney left though my heart wasn't in it after William H. Macy left.  To be honest that is just when my mom stopped watching.  In retrospect it was one of the better medical dramas but I think that was due to Michael Crichton being the brains behind the show.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching an old arse JRPG with outdated visuals, no voice-acting, and constant repetitive music is very boring, especially if you have no nostalgia for the game whatsoever. And having Ryan play the game was a mistake in my opinion, cause he was too busy trying to figure out how to play said old arse JRPG and wasn't making any funny commentary most of the time. Also it didn't help that the game didn't seem to provide much material for comedy. I probably watched a handful of the episodes, then tried having a few episodes on in the background while doing other stuff, but it was boring either way, so I stopped altogether.

I'm a huge fan of the first two ERs and think they are some of the best content GB has done. But this time it really didn't work for me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By BisonHero

@bartok said:

I stopped watching when George Clooney left though my heart wasn't in it after William H. Macy left. To be honest that is just when my mom stopped watching. In retrospect it was one of the better medical dramas but I think that was due to Michael Crichton being the brains behind the show.

Well played, sir. Well played.

mkskillz16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By mkskillz16

Have had no time to watch it.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#100  Edited By emem
    @Brother_PipPop said:

I really liked it for like the first ten episodes. Then I stopped for a few. Then I came back in the middles for a few episodes. Then finished with watching it live. I liked it overall and when a new video was posted I would watch it/skim through it. But there was just something that didn't suck me in like Deadly premonition and Persona. And no it wasn't Ryan and Patrick, I really enjoyed listening to them. I don;t know I guess I just couldn't...endure.

Strangely enough that's exactly what happened to me and I agree with everything you wrote. :) Hopefully they will keep doing ERs... the demand is still way higher than the number of annoying little brats who posted negative comments (not criticism, insulting nonsense) on this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.