Thoughts on the new Endurance Run after the first episode

• 116 results
#1 Posted by Joker369 (882 posts) -

Hey guys,

I'm just making this thread for a outlet for people to sound off about what they think about the new ER after the first episode. I enjoyed it but it is not hooking me like the DP or P4 endurance runs. This may be because there is no Vinny :)

#2 Posted by Aas (604 posts) -

Vinny is vital, though this is still looking very good.

#3 Posted by Dogma (975 posts) -

@Joker369 said:

but it is not hooking me like the DP or P4 endurance runs.

Were you really THAT hooked after one episode? I say...give it time. I liked it so far. Ryan and Patrick works as far I'm concerned. I thought quite a lot of stuff that went down at the fair was entertaining. But as I first said, it has barly started yet.

#4 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2056 posts) -

It made me want to pick up Chrono Trigger for the DS. I'll have to check that out sometime.

#5 Posted by leinad44 (523 posts) -

I think Ryan and Patrick play off of each other well. I'm not gonna be one of the people immediately jumping onto the hate train.

#6 Posted by Malphye (413 posts) -

I liked it even though it was a little short. I'd prefer 1 hour episodes but hey, small beans.

#7 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

@Dogma said:

@Joker369 said:

Were you really THAT hooked after one episode? I say...give it time. I liked it so far. Ryan and Patrick works as far I'm concerned. I thought quite a lot of stuff that went down at the fair was entertaining. But as I first said, it has barly started yet.

This. It wasn't comic gold but entertaining and I think Brono is a shitty joke that I can handle for 40 hours.

Made me also want to get the game for myself and start playing but I'll try resist that urge.

#8 Edited by BulletproofMonk (2725 posts) -

I really enjoyed it. As leinad44 said, Ryan and Patrick play off each other well and the great music makes up for the lack of voice acting. Some of the comments by other people saying that CT is notorious for erasing save files has me kind of worried, though. I'm really interested in seeing the whole game now. Anyways, can't wait for tomorrow's episode!

#9 Posted by Maajin (1074 posts) -

As far as first episodes go, this hooked me WAY more than P4 or DP. And it's being really nice to see that my good memories of Chrono Trigger weren't just nostalgia. What a pleasantly looking and sounding game!

#10 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

If they lose their save file like 1/4 of the way through and give up I'll be really bummed out.

#11 Posted by Maxtown (44 posts) -

@yoshimitz707 said:

If they lose their save file like 1/4 of the way through and give up I'll be really bummed out.

These were my thoughts exactly.

#12 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

I will be amazed if they actually finish the game.

Between CT's history of randomly erasing save files, not knowing the state of the cart's battery, and playing the game on an actual SNES, I will be shocked if they actually make it to the end. I will enjoy it while it lasts, though.

#13 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

Pretty good. I just wish they'd chosen to play it without the ATB system, because I'd rather watch them talk out what their next moves are going to be instead of rushing into actions.

#14 Posted by Tebbit (4473 posts) -

I am a well documented Vinny fanboy, so I miss the fact that he isn't in it, but Ryan and Patrick are a good duo. I don't know why, but it's kind of disappointing that Patrick has already played through it (albeit a billion years ago), because some of the most hilarious moments of the previous endurance runs have revolved around the players discovering something and being genuinely surprised by it. BUT, full steam ahead, I say. I'm really looking forward to this, because I've played through the first 10ish hours of Chrono Trigger four or five times, and I never managed to finish it.

#15 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

I will be amazed if they actually finish the game.

Between CT's history of randomly erasing save files, not knowing the state of the cart's battery, and playing the game on an actual SNES, I will be shocked if they actually make it to the end. I will enjoy it while it lasts, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a large portion of it recorded unless they just did the first episode much earlier to test their hardware. Patrick mentioned in the first episode that Halloween was coming up.

#16 Posted by BleedingStarX (281 posts) -

Enjoyed what I saw, looking forward to the next one

#17 Posted by A_Dog (744 posts) -

I thought it was good. I'm curious to see how they messed up at the carnival. They didn't do anything obviously wrong...

#18 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -

It was good! A lot of people seem annoyed by Patrick, which I don't get at all. He's a cool guy.

#19 Posted by SlashDance (1828 posts) -

@Dogma said:

@Joker369 said:

Were you really THAT hooked after one episode?

You know, that's a good point. I did find the first few episodes of the last ER boring as shit.

No Vinny is still a pretty big bummer though. :/

#20 Edited by DeeGee (2141 posts) -

I enjoyed it.

That said, the fact Patrick has finished the game really bugs me. The plot isn't a surprise to him, he knows what happens when and how to do it. I'm worried it will just be full of him hinting at stuff that's to come, or telling Ryan how to solve stuff instead of letting him figure it out. I mean, he totally just flat out spoiled that Marle was the Kings daughter. I have never played this game, I didn't know that. I bet everyone will be all "But it was obvious!". I didn't immediatly think that.

Maybe I'm wrong though, totally pumped for a new Endurance Run.

#21 Posted by Dogma (975 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

I enjoyed it.

That said, the fact Patrick has finished the game really bugs me. The plot isn't a surprise to him, he knows what happens when and how to do it. I'm worried it will just be full of him hinting at stuff that's to come, or telling Ryan how to solve stuff instead of letting him figure it out. I mean, he totally just flat out spoiled that Marle was the Kings daughter. I have never played this game, I didn't know that. I bet everyone will be all "But it was obvious!". I didn't immediatly think that.

This. Patrick has to play along with less spoilers. The moment you pointed out irked me too. Yeah..mabey it's simple to figure out and almost 20 years later that has become and easy RPG trope that ain't that supprising but still, it's annoying if he will continue make of hand remarks that actually spoil stuff. To bad you got it spoiled for ya.

#22 Posted by BrickRoad (704 posts) -

I thought it was pretty good. I think Ryan already knew GIRL was the King's daughter. Come on, give him some credit. So yeah, liked it. Once Ryan is fully up to speed with the battle system it'll get even better.

#23 Posted by Bocam (3785 posts) -

It makes me want to play that copy of Chrono Cross I have. Even though I never played the 1st game, is that a bad idea?

#24 Posted by Dogma (975 posts) -

@Bocam said:

It makes me want to play that copy of Chrono Cross I have. Even though I never played the 1st game, is that a bad idea?

Thay kind of work together but you don't have to have played Chrono Trigger to enjoy Chrono Cross. You get some nice subtle hints but nothing extremly important (of what I can remember). Why not watch the ER and then play Cross?

#25 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Hey it's been one episode, people shouldn't be talking about this Endurance Run being bad or good yet.

#26 Posted by A_Dog (744 posts) -

@DeeGee: Marle?

Oh, you mean Barle...

#27 Posted by Cake (212 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

I enjoyed it.

Yup this. Kinda takes away from the whole experience, for me anyway.

#28 Posted by Shadowjester (93 posts) -

I don't know if this is spoiler or not so I'll go ahead and tag it.

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. I was really scared that Ryan was going to activate that right hand teleporter when he jumped on it. Would have been the shortest ER yet :).

Actually, I can't remember if it worked the first time through the game or only on a new game plus.
#29 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

@DeeGee: it wasn't perhaps obviously, but not much of a logical leap to work out who she is whether you've played the game or not

anyway, stuff remembered from that long ago will quickly diminish as they play on

#30 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Why can't you guys do this in the comments of the video?

#31 Posted by Greatgrey (55 posts) -

pumped

#32 Posted by Weltal (2274 posts) -

Seemed alright.

Am I the only one who heard Patrick say, "It's almost Halloween", though? Bad joke or was this really recorded that long ago?

#33 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

I liked it for the most part.. Haven't watched the other ERs though.

For someone who hasn't gone through the gamet multiple times, Can you guys say what happens when you mess stuff up at the fair? I wasn't aware that that stuff effected anything later in the game.

#34 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

It was decent, I don't really care for Patrick and the fact that there's no voice acting at all is bothering me way more than I thought it would.

#35 Posted by TwoLines (2819 posts) -

Already way better than the DP one. Way, way better.

#36 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

You know that part where Ryan and Patrick laughed about Brono moving his head? That would have been 100x funnier with Jeff and Vinny. Their laughter alone is funnier.

#37 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I liked it, though i miss vinny.

#38 Posted by TobbRobb (4752 posts) -

I thought it was pretty funny. Liked it overall. Though I hope Patrick will chill out on the spoilers, that bummed me out a little.

#39 Edited by SSully (4234 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

I enjoyed it.

That said, the fact Patrick has finished the game really bugs me. The plot isn't a surprise to him, he knows what happens when and how to do it. I'm worried it will just be full of him hinting at stuff that's to come, or telling Ryan how to solve stuff instead of letting him figure it out. I mean, he totally just flat out spoiled that Marle was the Kings daughter I have never played this game, I didn't know that. I bet everyone will be all "But it was obvious!". I didn't immediatly think that.

You make a good point. It is good going when everyone going into the game has no experience with it, but I dont expect it to ruin the endurance run. And for the record I thought it was pretty obvious who she was. Right after getting her to follow, Ryan went to an NPC who talked about her and it was a really obvious light bulb moment.

#40 Posted by DonChipotle (2785 posts) -

I may not like Chrono Trigger, but I gotta say the first episode has me convinced that this is totally gonna be worth it.

God I hope they get the best ending.

#41 Posted by Tesla (1932 posts) -

I love it. Patrick and Ryan have a good chemistry in general, and a classic rpg like Chrono Trigger is fun to watch even without commentary. I have it on my second monitor here at work and just hearing those classic tunes is making me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I'm looking forward to the future episodes.

#42 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

I thought the first episode was okay. Bit of a slow start but that's to be expected of RPGs like Chrono Trigger. I'm a bit worried about the fact that Patrick has played the game to completion. Granted it was back when the game first came out in America for the SNES but that may not stop him from remembering something that will spoil a twist in the story. I know I shouldn't be worried about spoilers because the game is quite old but the SNES version never came out in Europe and we only got the DS version a couple of years ago. I'm more worried he'll spoil something for Ryan who stated he didn't play much of the game. Even so, Patrick and Ryan are an interesting video matchup, may not be as funny as the Vinny/Jeff Matchup of the previous endurance runs but I'm hoping that as the endurance run goes on it will provide me with some entertaining video content

#43 Posted by CornBREDX (5631 posts) -

The thing about Barle: the game makes it incredibly obvious shes hiding something and flat out tells you who she is not to long from where they are at in the game at the end of this episode. So telling you when he did really spoils nothing as there is other things much more interesting to come. It's also a trope from these RPGs as there is several with a similar character. Who Barle is, is not a spoiler.

I do hope he doesn't keep doing that though and remembers not all of use have played the game. I have... but I do agree the ones here who haven't have the right to not be spoiled. I would be ok if he went into any detail he knows about the history of this game (development or whatever) as I know very little of that. They talked a little about that in this episode and that seems to be something Patrick is good at.

Just my thoughts, I'm lovin' it.

@HotSauceMagik: It wont take long for their choices at the fair to have affects in the story. Maybe episodes 3 or 4 depending on how long the episodes are and how much they mess around or explore certain things..

#44 Posted by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass said:

It made me want to pick up Chrono Trigger for the DS. I'll have to check that out sometime.

Same here, it'd be a reason to bring the old girl back out.

#45 Posted by DonChipotle (2785 posts) -

Considering that Patrick didn't know to talk to Melchior to advance the plot or how to get to the screen to equip weapons or that you could save on the world map, I doubt he'll suddenly remember about the plot points ten hours down the line.

#46 Posted by FritzDude (2269 posts) -

It was OK, but nothing memorable at this point. I still think Chrono Trigger is a bad choice for an endurance run, and I'm not talking about the game quality.

#47 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

After the 1st minute I already have a complaint. I wish it was Pat who was playing and Ryan on the passenger seat.

#48 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

seems good so far. I don't understand the hate. It might help that I never played Crhohno Trigger.

#49 Posted by alternate (2717 posts) -

What does this thread do that the comments section of the video couldn't? Just saying.

#50 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

enjoyed the first episode a lot they had some good banter. haveing played the DS version over the summer i can't wait for more

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.