Was the ER all recorded like two months ago?

• 90 results
#51 Posted by Korwin (3044 posts) -

They probably had to back film several episodes to cover the christmas break. After all, nothing stops the endurance run.

#52 Posted by Fobwashed (2249 posts) -

@JeffGoldblum said:

@Xtrememuffinman said:

The past two weren't, as they used the comments to help them. But if this one was, that would be severely disappointing.

During the past two they would record as many as they could in one sitting. So sometimes it would be days before they could respond to comments. Maybe this time they just got a head start.

While I didn't follow the previous ERs as they were releasing, I did hear some chatter on bombcasts about jerkies commenting spoilers and such about the game they were playing. The quality of the vids are the same regardless of when they were made to me so I don't care when they were made. Just happy they're available to watch.

#53 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -

Aside from it being easier to do that way, maybe just maybe they did it due to the very nature of the game itself kind of as a joke.

#54 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@dudeglove

OH THE HUMANITY

First it was how bad the choice of game was, now it's about when the fucking thing was recorded.

#55 Edited by VictoryBlixt (122 posts) -

If it was infact recorded well in advance, and given that this game isn't that long, it makes this just seem like a dick move because it means they recorded all of the episodes and are just giving them out one at a time to keep people coming back to the site, It's a good business strategy, but its not what the site used to be. I guess I can't really fault them for it, but it still sucks either way,

also patrick totally remembering stuff and then commenting on that stuff really sucks, at least keep that stuff to yourself and try and create an illusion that you don't know what you're doing

#56 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1822 posts) -

I never want this site to do another Endurance Run ever again. People have complained about ever single little fucking thing about this one. It's gotten beyond ridiculous.

#57 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said:

I never want this site to do another Endurance Run ever again. People have complained about ever single little fucking thing about this one. It's gotten beyond ridiculous.

seriously for fucks sake, considering how long everyone begged for an endurance run, can't they just be happy?--oh wait it's the internet.
#58 Posted by WilyBoy (163 posts) -

The primary reason they never wanted to do another ER was how much time it took out of each day. Keep in mind the previous two ERs were before live content and before subscriptions. The GB crew is busier now than they ever have been before, so if they have to prerecord the ER in order to get it up on schedule I'm fine with that. The people who are complaining probably don't realize the options were literally A) prerecord it or B) no ER at all.

#59 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I really can't wait to log in tomorrow to see what fresh, new, pointless, tiny detail people have decided to complain about. For the love of Christ, this is getting ridiculous.

#60 Posted by Marokai (3155 posts) -
@VictoryBlixt said:
also patrick totally remembering stuff and then commenting on that stuff really sucks, at least keep that stuff to yourself and try and create an illusion that you don't know what you're doing
Yep. Which is exactly the sort of thing the comments could've told them to stop doing.. if they were being recorded anywhere near real-time.
#61 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@VictoryBlixt

If it was infact recorded well in advance, and given that this game isn't that long, it makes this just seem like a dick move because it means they recorded all of the episodes and are just giving them out one at a time to keep people coming back to the site, It's a good business strategy, but its not what the site used to be. I guess I can't really fault them for it, but it still sucks either way,

Yah, one at a time is a stupid way to put out episodic content. I could probably watch four movies at the same time. So why not give out like four movies at once. Also how is pat going to remember crap from 16 years ago and think that people will stay calm. How are we supposed to stay calm when he goes on a remembering rampage. Some one should remember stuff about hom and see how he likes it.
#62 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@MythDarK said:

@TheMustacheHero said:

It doesn't really matter if it's recorded in the past or not. What does matter is Ryan and Patricks humming of the battle theme. That's getting old.

I'm doing that whenever I play a game with catchy music, such as Chrono Trigger. Never gets old. =D

You don't have thousands of people needing to listen to your humming of catchy music.

We get it, FluxWaveZ, you don't like the new Endurance Run. The great thing about Giant Bomb is that it already has hours upon hours of content, and even past Endurance Runs for you to continue to enjoy. There's no sense in clogging up every related topic attempting to undermine and be condescending in regards to Patrick and/or Ryan in reference to the Endurance Run. I say 'undermine', because with or without you, at the end of the day, no matter how many times you post, the Endurance Run will continue.
#63 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@Napalm said: 
We get it, FluxWaveZ, you don't like the new Endurance Run. The great thing about Giant Bomb is that it already has hours upon hours of content, and even past Endurance Runs for you to continue to enjoy. There's no sense in clogging up every related topic attempting to undermine and be condescending in regards to Patrick and/or Ryan in reference to the Endurance Run. I say 'undermine', because with or without you, at the end of the day, no matter how many times you post, the Endurance Run will continue.
Uh, sorry, but how does this have anything to do at all with the topic at hand? And please point me to a comment in this thread, any at all, that I've made that has been irrational and/or condescending towards Patrick and/or Ryan. Please do, because I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The person I was replying to above tried to justify the staff's humming to the battle theme and I gave a reason as to why his argument is weak. So again, what are you even saying, especially given the fact that I'm watching this current Endurance Run?
#64 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

It just makes me want to go back and watch the P4 and DP (VJ of course) ERs all over again.

#65 Posted by dudeglove (8312 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Fattony12000 said:

#66 Posted by dudeglove (8312 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

@JeffGoldblum said:

@Xtrememuffinman said:

The past two weren't, as they used the comments to help them. But if this one was, that would be severely disappointing.

During the past two they would record as many as they could in one sitting. So sometimes it would be days before they could respond to comments. Maybe this time they just got a head start.

While I didn't follow the previous ERs as they were releasing, I did hear some chatter on bombcasts about jerkies commenting spoilers and such about the game they were playing. The quality of the vids are the same regardless of when they were made to me so I don't care when they were made. Just happy they're available to watch.

I distinctly remember Brad noting that, during some live stream (I think it was an episode of the Deadly Premonition ER), some dick decided to spoil the end-game plot twist in the chat and he was trying to block it out of his mind. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned during one of the gallery episodes.

#67 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1772 posts) -

Bitches be bitching.

#68 Edited by TruthTellah (9484 posts) -

I do believe there is merit to the idea that they may be recording these early so as to better pace themselves for the challenge and get out content consistently.

I seem to remember them saying in the Second Annual Big Live Live Show, Live! This Time We're Doing It Live! that the new Endurance Run would be done differently, thanks to lessons they had learned from previous Endurance Runs. I think they mentioned how inconvenient it was to set it up every day just for the added impression that it's more current, and it led to times where ERs went up late and people moaned about it. They're simply too busy to do an ER like that again. Now, I don't remember them mentioning if it'd all be filmed beforehand in large chunks, but judging by what they have said in the past about the new ER, I can imagine that is a great possibility.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, and I'm increasingly surprised how much I am enjoying the ER despite the fact that I've perhaps played Chrono Trigger twenty times. Patrick is coming into his own and figuring out the format, and Ryan is just being Ryan. To me, that's pretty darn great. I look forward to seeing the rest of this. :)

#69 Posted by Merricks (27 posts) -

Maybe they recorded it in advance 16 years ago.

#70 Posted by Subjugation (4744 posts) -

Thank you internet. You never cease to amaze me as to what pointless thing you will whine about next.

#71 Posted by TruthTellah (9484 posts) -

@Merricks said:

Maybe they recorded it in advance 16 years ago.

Indeed. Perhaps they harnessed a Time Machine to inform their past selves about the future success of the Endurance Runs, and in a bid to do less work in the present, they pushed the ER off on younger beardless Ryan and 10 year old Patrick, only to upload those videos this week. hmmm... It all makes sense now.

SCIENCE!

#72 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

This makes sense considering how much of a detriment the comments were to the other endurance runs

#73 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

Sucks if true as we don't have any input for what goes on in this ER.

Eh, I'll watch anyway.

#74 Posted by elcalavera (351 posts) -

Can't more people comment on how they wish it was Jeff & Vinny rather than Ryan & Patrick? Cus' that's fun to see everywhere the new ER is discussed, awesome in fact.

#75 Posted by TruthTellah (9484 posts) -

@elcalavera said:

Can't more people comment on how they wish it was Jeff & Vinny rather than Ryan & Patrick? Cus' that's fun to see everywhere the new ER is discussed, awesome in fact.

I'm actually starting to get the sneaking suspicion that this -is- Jeff and Vinny. They're just doing their best Ryan and Patrick impressions. It's really quite ingenious. Get people all riled up while they are really getting exactly what they think they want. It's brilliant. Only Vinny "Hotspur" Caravella could think of such a dastardly plan...

#jk

#76 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@Napalm
@FluxWaveZ said:

@MythDarK said:

@TheMustacheHero said:

It doesn't really matter if it's recorded in the past or not. What does matter is Ryan and Patricks humming of the battle theme. That's getting old.

I'm doing that whenever I play a game with catchy music, such as Chrono Trigger. Never gets old. =D

You don't have thousands of people needing to listen to your humming of catchy music.

Over reaction much?
#77 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

@Marokai said:

@Deusx said:

Well, if it is true... That kinda sucks. It makes everything feel a little bit false for some strange reason.

It's a difficult feeling to properly express, but yeah, I completely agree with you. It feels cold, it feels easy. Everytime I think of how long ago they were recorded, all it does is remind me of all the changes Giant Bomb has gone through in the last year into a more businessy-business-like place. What made the Endurance Run shine was how crazy the very idea of it even was, that it took time, and that it was all new. That they involved the community in that adventure. It's just another piece of content now. They've got to plan it out! They've got to upload it at the proper time of the year! They've got to keep those subscriptions rolling in and video up at a steady pace! Business, business, business! It's not that people are complaining about having a new Endurance Run; it's that people are worried what this Endurance Run says about the future of that feature. Will we ever get a reasonably long ER again? Will we ever be able to experience a game alongside the GB crew like P4 or DP ever again? Will we ever see Jeff and Vinny together in an ER again? Even if we do, it might take over a year or more to get there. It's just a shame all around. But some content is better than no content, I guess. I wish I could be one of the Johnny-come-latelys that are enjoying it because of their reduced expectations and not having seen the previous ERs before. That ignorance is bliss.

what a load of utter drivel.

#78 Posted by Zidane_24 (740 posts) -

To me, recording in advance has advantages and disadvantages. We won't get to have input on what Ryan and Patrick do, but at least some dick won't spoil the game like what has happened in past ERs.

Honestly, I think it's fine if they recorded in advance. I'd rather have slightly outdated references than have the story spoiled for the guys.

#79 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

i hope GB are reading this thread and thinking what a bunch of petty ungratefully mother fuckers and never do another one again.

'oooh its not exactly as i expected it to be, and now im DISAPPOINTED'

lol!!!! DISAPPOINTED

#80 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@jetsetwillie

@Marokai said:

@Deusx said:

Well, if it is true... That kinda sucks. It makes everything feel a little bit false for some strange reason.

It's a difficult feeling to properly express, but yeah, I completely agree with you. It feels cold, it feels easy. Everytime I think of how long ago they were recorded, all it does is remind me of all the changes Giant Bomb has gone through in the last year into a more businessy-business-like place. What made the Endurance Run shine was how crazy the very idea of it even was, that it took time, and that it was all new. That they involved the community in that adventure. It's just another piece of content now. They've got to plan it out! They've got to upload it at the proper time of the year! They've got to keep those subscriptions rolling in and video up at a steady pace! Business, business, business! It's not that people are complaining about having a new Endurance Run; it's that people are worried what this Endurance Run says about the future of that feature. Will we ever get a reasonably long ER again? Will we ever be able to experience a game alongside the GB crew like P4 or DP ever again? Will we ever see Jeff and Vinny together in an ER again? Even if we do, it might take over a year or more to get there. It's just a shame all around. But some content is better than no content, I guess. I wish I could be one of the Johnny-come-latelys that are enjoying it because of their reduced expectations and not having seen the previous ERs before. That ignorance is bliss.

Why do you think that is a load of drivel, is it just because you dont agree with it?
#81 Posted by TromboneTony (162 posts) -

It's really funny to think that if Patrick had not mentioned Halloween, no one would have even known any better. If you don't like it, don't watch the ER. Let the rest of us enjoy them without the idiotic commentary and complaining that seems to happen every time something's done slightly differently.

#82 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@jetsetwillie

@Marokai said:

@Deusx said:

Why do you think that is a load of drivel, is it just because you dont agree with it?

no, i just though it was pure conjecture and writen as if your owed something

and i hate the attitude that GB is somehow betraying it fanbase by wanting to run a profitable website.

#83 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

I thought he was joking about Halloween. I think they are doing it like they did P4, but on a slightly different scale. I think that they are recording in large blocks. Obviously the first 3 so far have been recorded together due to call backs Patrick made. But I think they recorded these early ones a few days in advance. I don't think they recorded a month in advance.

#84 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -
#85 Posted by csl316 (9522 posts) -

Interesting how this would've been recorded during the crazy release season.

#86 Posted by NoRemnants (386 posts) -

No they were not. Patrick mentions UC Davis in one of the videos which happened a couple weeks ago.

#87 Posted by TheLagerMeister (44 posts) -

Ryan also tweeted about getting rickrolled from a most surprising source. That was maybe last week or 2 weeks ago. Then when I watched the ER yesterday, I see what he meant. So I think it's being prerecorded, but only a week or 2 in advance. Just in case they get busy, you still have some time before delaying videos on a daily basis.

#88 Posted by Winternet (8060 posts) -

Maybe starting a ER few weeks before they all go on vacation was not the best timing.

#89 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

There seemed to be a very wide gap between #3 and #4 with them not rembering the story, forgetting Barle and the save losing power

#90 Posted by laserbolts (5371 posts) -

You'll still get annoying people complaining about them missing stuff and trying to tell them how to play in the comments. At least that's what was in the comments of the first 2 episodes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.