Why Chronotrigger is a terrible choice for an Endurance Run

  • 132 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by Old_Corncob (134 posts) -

NO VOICE ACTING!

I always listened to the Endurance Run while doing something else, and then 'tuned-in' to watch the screen whenever something cool was happening, or Chie was being sexy.

But if they play Chronotrigger, I would have to be staring at the screen for 40 hours to follow the story. That is really not possible.

So, cute thought guys, but Chronotrigger is just not practical. But of course Ryan will insist on doing it anyway, because trolling seems to be his primary way of enjoying life.

#2 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4297 posts) -

@Old_Corncob said:

...or Chie was being sexy.

As if Chie is ever not sexy.

Online
#3 Posted by animathias (1170 posts) -

I load random quick looks and TNTs to play in the background while doing something else, so I can kind of see where you're coming from. New content, though, usually gets my full attention.

Other than that, I have no opinion about the ER. I barely know anything about Chrono Trigger. I'm optimistic, though.

Online
#4 Posted by onarum (2016 posts) -

So they shouldn't do a particular game because of YOUR specific way of "watching" them?
 
I myself actually WATCHED all the ERs, that's why they are, you know, videos not sound files.

Online
#5 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

Oh no! You'll actually have to watch the ER with your eyes? Call it off!

#6 Posted by cornwalliz (214 posts) -

After finishing it they can jump to Chrono Cross and be done with it all

#7 Posted by obcdexter (580 posts) -

There was a large amount of read-only text in Persona 4 - including ALL of the Social Link events -, I can't see that becoming a real problem, especially since our ear-p*** will be gently penetrated with some fine 16-bit era Midi compositions.

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The problem isn't the game, the problem is it's Patrick and Ryan.

#9 Posted by DeF (4808 posts) -

@Fripplebubby said:

Oh no! You'll actually have to watch the ER with your eyes? Call it off!

not acceptable. not amused. not ever.

WATCHING videos? I mean this shit is ... fucking ridiculous!!!

#10 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

great, another one of these threads.

#11 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

The music is better than any voice acting possible.

#12 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

@Old_Corncob said:

NO VOICE ACTING!

I always listened to the Endurance Run while doing something else, and then 'tuned-in' to watch the screen whenever something cool was happening, or Chie was being sexy.

But if they play Chronotrigger, I would have to be staring at the screen for 40 hours to follow the story. That is really not possible.

So, cute thought guys, but Chronotrigger is just not practical. But of course Ryan will insist on doing it anyway, because trolling seems to be his primary way of enjoying life.

Yes, they are doing this game primarily to troll you. Personally.

Congratulations!!!

#13 Posted by Old_Corncob (134 posts) -

So, 70 percent of the responses are baseless rejections, and vicious insults.

That is to be expected on the Giantbomb forums, so I'm over it.

#14 Posted by ModernAlkemie (358 posts) -

The only solution is for Patrick and Ryan to make up funny voices for all the characters and read the dialogue aloud.

#15 Posted by Malphye (413 posts) -

Why IMO Chronotrigger is a terrible choice for an Endurance Run

#16 Posted by Sauson (560 posts) -

People beg for an Endurance Run and when they finally decide to do it, it isn't good enough. Unreal.

#17 Posted by onarum (2016 posts) -
@Old_Corncob said:

So, 70 percent of the responses are baseless rejections, and vicious insults.

That is to be expected on the Giantbomb forums, so I'm over it.

Baseless? you say something can't happen because of your own personal reasons, you complain about having to actually watch A FREAKING VIDEO!!!! what else did you expect? seriously....
Online
#18 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

@Old_Corncob said:

So, 70 percent of the responses are baseless rejections, and vicious insults.

That is to be expected on the Giantbomb forums, so I'm over it.

When you cite your reason for the endurance run game being a bad choice is that you can listen to the video content, you should expect people to react as they have its a pretty ridiculous statement being unhappy that you are actually going to have to watch a video.

#19 Posted by OldGuy (1517 posts) -
@Sauson said:

People beg for an Endurance Run and when they finally decide to do it, it isn't good enough. Unreal.

Welcome to the internet. It's good to have you here. (Oh, wait... that last sentence isn't right... let's try that again...) You &#(&% piece of &$)(*@# you're a *)#*@^&, *(#&$)! (...that's more like it...)
#20 Posted by DeeGee (2116 posts) -

@Old_Corncob said:

So, 70 percent of the responses are baseless rejections, and vicious insults.

That is to be expected on the Giantbomb forums, so I'm over it.

Try not to make stupid comments and you won't get insulted : D

"Guys, making a video series that I have to watch is a terrible choice!"

Hint: it's not a podcast. It's a video. You watch it. With your eyes.

#21 Posted by Sauson (560 posts) -

@OldGuy said:

@Sauson said:

People beg for an Endurance Run and when they finally decide to do it, it isn't good enough. Unreal.

Welcome to the internet. It's good to have you here. (Oh, wait... that last sentence isn't right... let's try that again...) You &#(&% piece of &$)(*@# you're a *)#*@^&, *(#&$)! (...that's more like it...)

Giant Bomb is generally less douchey then most internet communities so this is pretty uncharacteristic. Or maybe it's always been this way and I've been fortunate enough to avoid it up until this point.

#22 Posted by TekZero (2665 posts) -

I would've preferred a mulitplayer ER. Like Secret of Mana.

#23 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@Sauson said:

People beg for an Endurance Run and when they finally decide to do it, it isn't good enough. Unreal.

I didn't beg. Now I'm just bummed out they decided to go with one just to appease the masses, especially considering Patrick's already beaten Chrono Trigger.

#24 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I love Chrono Trigger, but it would make a terrible Endurance Run or two reasons reason: it's not awful or weird..  To me,  Endurance Runs are good for two reasons: They cover a game that's either bad or awkward enough that I'd never play it, but it's interesting enough to be worth seeing, and because said bad/awkwardness creates funny potential. 
 
Chrono Trigger has neither of that. I'm not really too interested in watching people play a great game I could play myself. 
 
Edit: Oh, it was already chosen to be the new ER? Alright well, I disagree, but whatever. I'll probably watch it at first and see if it's worth it.

#25 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@Sooty said:

The problem isn't the game, the problem is it's Patrick and Ryan.

Yeah this too. I don't want to listen to Patrick talk for 40+ hours. I am not a fan of him on bombcasts and quicklooks. He always comes off as trying too hard.

#26 Posted by Shadowsquire (362 posts) -

@DrCornwalliz said:

After finishing it they can jump to Chrono Cross and be done with it all

Yes.

#27 Posted by OldGuy (1517 posts) -
@Sauson said:

@OldGuy said:

@Sauson said:

People beg for an Endurance Run and when they finally decide to do it, it isn't good enough. Unreal.

Welcome to the internet. It's good to have you here. (Oh, wait... that last sentence isn't right... let's try that again...) You &#(&% piece of &$)(*@# you're a *)#*@^&, *(#&$)! (...that's more like it...)

Giant Bomb is generally less douchey then most internet communities so this is pretty uncharacteristic. Or maybe it's always been this way and I've been fortunate enough to avoid it up until this point.

It happens (a little) less here... but it still happens (because, you know, winging is the default state of most people on the net)... You don't even have to look that hard -- I don't even go into the forum view, I only look at the ten most recent ones on the front page, and here's what I've seen recently (paraphrased): "TNT sucks." "Brad sucks." "Patrick sucks." "Quick looks are awful now." "Aaaghhh. Do another endurance run!" "You aren't doing what I want!" "Ryan sucks." "That review sucks. Game X is way better/worse than X stars!"
 
Mostly I ignore them... which brings up the question... why am I in this thread? Oops. :-)
#28 Posted by Old_Corncob (134 posts) -

Just wishing that Jeff would be doing it instead goes without saying. I am addicted to him. I need to listen to Jeff every day just to feel normal.

#29 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1916 posts) -

@Old_Corncob said:

Just wishing that Jeff would be doing it instead goes without saying. I am addicted to him. I need to listen to Jeff every day just to feel normal.

whelp, this thread just went from creepy to extremely creepy, awesome.

Also, Giantbomb sucks because they don't do every single thing I want them to, and the staff is cool but not as cool as they should be. I like to watch their videos, that I hate and am completely unobligied to do, in order to build up my hatred for life.

Online
#30 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

I'm not sure a SNES game would make the best endurance run unless it was emulated, because if the battery in the cart is dead or dies during the run, no more save games 4 U!

#31 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

@Buzzkill: NOTHING STOPS THE ENDURANCE RUN

#32 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

I love Chrono Trigger, but it would make a terrible quicklook for one reason: it's not awful. To me, quick looks are good for two reasons: They cover a game that's either bad or awkward enough that I'd never play it, but it's interesting enough to be worth seeing, and because said bad/awkwardness creates funny potential. Chrono Trigger has neither of that. I'm not really too interested in watching people play a great game I could play myself. Edit: Oh, it was already chosen to be the new ER? Alright well, I disagree, but whatever. I'll probably watch it at first and see if it's worth it.

First a Endurance run is not a quick look; second Persona 4 was the best Endurance run by far, and that was not a bad game. it was a different game, and very Japanese but it was not terrible.

#33 Posted by Nux (2306 posts) -

Who wants to watch a video on a video heavy site? But really if its going to be that big of a deal for you to watch then don't.

#34 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

They cover a game that's either bad or awkward enough that I'd never play it, but it's interesting enough to be worth seeing, and because said bad/awkwardness creates funny potential.

Persona 4 isn't bad, it's by far the best RPG in years; the 360 and PS3 wish it had a JRPG this good, and it's not really even awkward. It just has great humour, of course some of it is a bit zany. (it's a Japanese translation after all)

#35 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@Pinworm45 said:

I love Chrono Trigger, but it would make a terrible quicklook for one reason: it's not awful. To me, quick looks are good for two reasons: They cover a game that's either bad or awkward enough that I'd never play it, but it's interesting enough to be worth seeing, and because said bad/awkwardness creates funny potential. Chrono Trigger has neither of that. I'm not really too interested in watching people play a great game I could play myself. Edit: Oh, it was already chosen to be the new ER? Alright well, I disagree, but whatever. I'll probably watch it at first and see if it's worth it.

First a Endurance run is not a quick look; second Persona 4 was the best Endurance run by far, and that was not a bad game. it was a different game, and very Japanese but it was not terrible.

I just woke up. Brain fart. I meant Endurance Run. And I meant that Persona 4 was awkward/weird. 
 
@Sooty
said:

@Pinworm45 said:

They cover a game that's either bad or awkward enough that I'd never play it, but it's interesting enough to be worth seeing, and because said bad/awkwardness creates funny potential.

Persona 4 isn't bad, it's by far the best RPG in years; the 360 and PS3 wish it had a JRPG this good, and it's not really even awkward. It just has great humour, of course some of it is a bit zany. (it's a Japanese translation after all)

It was an awkward/weird game to me. Even if you don't think it was, I think you can agree that it's different enough that it can be funny watching the crew play it, in a way that I don't think Chrono Trigger will even come close to matching. 
 
The bad part of "bad or awkward" was referring to Deadly Premonition.
#36 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@BabyChooChoo said:

@Old_Corncob said:

...or Chie was being sexy.

As if Chie is ever not sexy.

You are a winRAR.
#37 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

@Sooty said:

@Pinworm45 said:

They cover a game that's either bad or awkward enough that I'd never play it, but it's interesting enough to be worth seeing, and because said bad/awkwardness creates funny potential.

Persona 4 isn't bad, it's by far the best RPG in years; the 360 and PS3 wish it had a JRPG this good, and it's not really even awkward. It just has great humour, of course some of it is a bit zany. (it's a Japanese translation after all)

It was an awkward/weird game to me. Even if you don't think it was, I think you can agree that it's different enough that it can be funny watching the crew play it, in a way that I don't think Chrono Trigger will even come close to matching

It's definitely different, you can't really argue otherwise there, but I don't think different has to mean awkward. I think the only awkward part about the game is the idol stuff with Risette, but that's just a cultural thing I will always find a little odd.

#38 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Sooty said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Sooty said:

@Pinworm45 said:

They cover a game that's either bad or awkward enough that I'd never play it, but it's interesting enough to be worth seeing, and because said bad/awkwardness creates funny potential.

Persona 4 isn't bad, it's by far the best RPG in years; the 360 and PS3 wish it had a JRPG this good, and it's not really even awkward. It just has great humour, of course some of it is a bit zany. (it's a Japanese translation after all)

It was an awkward/weird game to me. Even if you don't think it was, I think you can agree that it's different enough that it can be funny watching the crew play it, in a way that I don't think Chrono Trigger will even come close to matching

It's definitely different, you can't really argue otherwise there, but I don't think different has to mean awkward. I think the only awkward part about the game is the idol stuff with Risette, but that's just a cultural thing I will always find a little odd.

Ehh... I found a lot of stuff in that game awkward. Maybe it's because I don't generally watch anything anime/Japanese and I'm not used to it. Either way, I think you know what I meant. Maybe Awkward wasn't the best word. How bout Different. 
 
And I'm not trying to say that this is a bad thing. I like things that are different or unusual or whatever, I'm just trying to say that I'm not sure Chrono Trigger will fit that bill, even though it's my favorite game. But I probably shouldn't judge until I see it.
#39 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Kind of a fair point, even when watching the videos, not having voice acting in this day and age can be difficult to deal with. There's a lot of just music going on in that game, and it's not super interesting to watch, either, so they will need to be on their shit and not let any dead air exist. Deadly Premonition and Persona are both much easier to just let the game take over a bit than Chrono Trigger will be. Even with it having a pretty great story and excellent audio, it's going to be a very different experience, and it's fine for people to not want that.

That said, it should be stated with a little more respect toward's other people such as myself looking forward to the content, even if there are other's I could think of that might present a more traditional ER experience (That Layton quicklook, amirite guys? Really Vinny just needs to be involved with ever ER. But I know that'd kill him so I'm ok with him getting some time away from it.)

#40 Posted by Old_Corncob (134 posts) -

What about reading speed?

Is Ryan going to just button through the text at his own reading speed, or pause a few seconds for disabled people, who read extra slowly, to read it too?

Or will disabled people have to hit "pause" every few seconds to finish reading the text.

By the way, I am mentally disabled! So don't hate, you geniuses.

#41 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4930 posts) -

@Dtat said:

@Sooty said:

The problem isn't the game, the problem is it's Patrick and Ryan.

Yeah this too. I don't want to listen to Patrick talk for 40+ hours. I am not a fan of him on bombcasts and quicklooks. He always comes off as trying too hard.

This. I like Patrick's articles, but when I hear him laughing...

#42 Posted by masterpaperlink (1829 posts) -

cuz its boring to watch?

#43 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Why didn't you post this in the "official" thread?

#44 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

My stated reason for Chrono Trigger being a poor choice for an ER is that it just isn't a very compelling game and it has the depth of a puddle.

#45 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

An old school endurance run is a really good idea.

It would have been a better idea if they'd done Earthbound though!

#46 Posted by Bribo (593 posts) -

Turn off the volume and listen to something else if you must, but never not be watching.

I'm going to grammar hell for that sentence.

#47 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3700 posts) -

@Sooty said:

The problem isn't the game, the problem is it's Patrick and Ryan.

If you don't like 2/5 of the content contributors of this site, maybe you should find a different site.

#48 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3700 posts) -

@QuistisTrepe said:

My stated reason for Chrono Trigger being a poor choice for an ER is that it just isn't a very compelling game and it has the depth of a puddle.

So they shouldn't cover one of the most revered RPG's of all time because YOU don't like it? I mean if you knew anything about video game history it would be very clear you have an abnormal opinion of this game.

#49 Posted by rachelepithet (1350 posts) -

It just means Patrick will have to read all the text aloud.

#50 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@JeffGoldblum said:

it would be very clear you have an abnormal opinion of this game.

The other thread begs to differ.

Chrono Trigger is a genre-defining classic-- but that doesn't necessarily translate to good video.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.