Wiz Khalifa and Rick Ross Sample Chrono Trigger in a Song

#1 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

So today I heard Wiz Khalifa's most recent mix tape Taylor Allerdice and the song "Never Been Part II ft. Amber Rose and Rick Ross" samples the "Secret of the Forrest" from the Chrono Trigger soundtrack.

I did not play the game but I watched the Endurance Run and I recognized it immediately. They sure spent a lot of time in that forrest.

I wonder if the producer Sledgren played the game when he was a kid. I know others have used video game music in this kind of way but I don't know of anyone this mainstream unless I'm mistaken. Is there anyone I'm missing?

Just kind of cool to hear.

#2 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

"This mainstream"? I've only ever heard of the (in)famous Rick Ross.

But yes, that's absolutely the song.

edit: also this tune does fit a weed track really well.

#3 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

I would never be able to write to this instrumental...  Oh wait, that flute like thing just kicked in.  Shit, I want to write to this now.  No that would probably be a bad idea.

#4 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

And he sampled Chrono Trigger on the first Never Been song too.

#5 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

"This mainstream"? I've only ever heard of the (in)famous Rick Ross. But yes, that's absolutely the song.

If you've heard Rick Ross I'd have to believe you've heard "Black and Yellow" by Wiz Khalifa. But yeah he's pretty big.

@Doctorchimp said:

And he sampled Chrono Trigger on the first Never Been song too.

Ah. I really liked that mix tape but I haven't heard it in a while. Before I watched the Endurance Run in fact so that makes sense why I didn't realize that.

#6 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

@MrKlorox said:

"This mainstream"? I've only ever heard of the (in)famous Rick Ross. But yes, that's absolutely the song.

If you've heard Rick Ross I'd have to believe you've heard "Black and Yellow" by Wiz Khalifa. But yeah he's pretty big.

Well I'm a dumbass. I read Rick Ross and thought Rick Rubin. I think I did that last time I came across something featuring Rick Ross too. One of these days I'll learn.
#7 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

The sample is the best thing about the song.

#8 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

@MrKlorox said:

Well I'm a dumbass. I read Rick Ross and thought Rick Rubin. I think I did that last time I came across something featuring Rick Ross too. One of these days I'll learn.
I looked at this thread again and that post just made me laugh...  Oh dear....
#9 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@MrKlorox said:
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

@MrKlorox said:

I looked at this thread again and that post just made me laugh... Oh dear....

I did laugh but I had to read it a few times.

#10 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

/lowers head in shame

I should watch more MTV 3 through 57 I guess?

#11 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

/lowers head in shame I should watch more MTV 3 through 57 I guess?

No Rick Rubin is a great I just could never see him working with Wiz Khalifa or sampling Chrono Trigger. And I hate MTV too.

#12 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Well, it's not terrible.

#13 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Im a sucker for that fucking flute and those heavy ass drums....  Goddamnit, Im actually listening to this song

#14 Posted by Pacmanlh (77 posts) -

Method Man has got to jump off the Sour Patch Kids train and hop on the Chrono Trigger express.

#15 Edited by theveej (812 posts) -

The song was pretty decent, specially the sample from chrono trigger, then the song got rick ross'd........

Rick Ross............ I have never been more unimpressed with a talentless rapper before.

Wiz should just stay away from that "thing", that fat piece of shit can slowly and painfully siphon any talent from anyone he collaborates with.

I rather listen to Vanilla Ice or the most generic auto-tone rap than that piece of shit. Okay, I'll be real he isn't as bad as V-Nasty, but that's pretty close to scraping the bottom of the barrel.

#16 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4306 posts) -

@theveej said:

The song was pretty decent, specially the sample from chrono trigger, then the song got rick ross'd........

Rick Ross............ I have never been more unimpressed with a talentless rapper before.

Wiz should just stay away from that "thing", that fat piece of shit can slowly and painfully siphon any talent from anyone he collaborates with.

I rather listen to Vanilla Ice or the most generic auto-tone rap than that piece of shit. Okay, I'll be real he isn't as bad as V-Nasty, but that's pretty close to scraping the bottom of the barrel.

lol well damn. I don't think I would put it as harsh as that, but I agree. I can't stand Rick Ross and I honestly don't understand what the fuck makes him so popular, but to each his own and all that shit.

#17 Posted by ch3burashka (5017 posts) -

In 'rappers use video game tunes' news, I found a good one - a dude named Da$h sampling Bramble Blast (DKC2).

#18 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2140 posts) -

I don't like either rapper, but they get some respect for sampling Chrono Trigger,

#19 Posted by ThunderSlash (1572 posts) -

He has done it before. I'd like to see him incorporate something like World Revolution (the song that plays in the second Lavos fight).

#20 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@theveej said:

lol well damn. I don't think I would put it as harsh as that, but I agree. I can't stand Rick Ross and I honestly don't understand what the fuck makes him so popular, but to each his own and all that shit.

I don't like Rick Ross as a rapper but in his defense I will say I think he has good taste in Hip-Hop at least. He collaborates with some talented people and especially in production he has good taste in the producers he chooses for his mix tapes or albums.

#21 Posted by TheHT (10930 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

The sample is the best thing about the song.

#22 Posted by BoG (5185 posts) -

Wiz Khalifa is coming to the University of Utah soon. I'm not going to go, but this just made me a touch more interested.

#23 Posted by Marz (5646 posts) -

wiz khalifa did it before with another song, i think the schala song.

#24 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

There's an Eminem song that uses parts of a song from Soul Calibur.

#25 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

I've only ever heard that one song with Snoop that comes on the radio every now and again, but colour me interested now.

The first rapper who samples the Phoenix Wright soundtrack gets me to buy everything from them ever.

#26 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Hodgy beats has used the Chrono Trigger beats as well.

Also thought this was pretty funny

BASED!

#27 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

I dont even know why Amber Rose is on this track....  She doesnt contribute to anything in this world other than arguably having a better ass than Kim Kardashian 

#28 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

Now I want a comprehensive list of all video game samples in music.

#29 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

@Origina1Penguin said:

Now I want a comprehensive list of all video game samples in music.

Agreed that would be a very cool project. Some people have mentioned some others, but I feel like a lot of it would be underground (nothing wrong with that btw, just hard to keep up with underground Hip-Hop at this point) or in the "nerd music" scene, but either way that'd be cool to hear that stuff and I have to imagine this is something that will continue to happen in more popular or mainstream music.

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

I dont even know why Amber Rose is on this track.... She doesnt contribute to anything in this world other than arguably having a better ass than Kim Kardashian

I agree... but that ass.............

#30 Edited by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

Excuse to post this:

Recognition for most who played the game or watched the ER comes at about 2:36-ish. You should just listen to it all though w/o looking at the time. The surprise of the recognition is better that way.

#31 Posted by Linkin10362 (602 posts) -

Logic's new mixtape came out today and it looks like he joined the Chrono Trigger sample bandwagon. Also, it was with my favorite song from the game: Corridors of Time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.