Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Would you be interested in a handheld Chrono Trigger 2?

• 100 results
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

In light of the success of A Link Between Words on the 3DS, would you be interested in Square Enix revisiting Chrono Trigger, and making a Chrono Trigger 2 (on the 3DS or Vita), that plays from a top-down perspective, and has more of an adventurous, fun story that continues how Chrono Trigger leaves off, compared to super-up-its-own-ass-story, not-the-sequel-anyone-was-expecting Chrono Cross?

I know there are like a million JRPG series that have gone dormant in recent years, and Chrono has been dormant longer than most, but that one just makes a lot of sense to bring back. And it honestly sounds like a much safer idea than doing a full-on sequel to Chrono Cross, which doesn't have nearly the fan following that Chrono Trigger does.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I'd rather they made an original clone/knockoff with its own whosits and whatsits and characters and lore, even if the game and story are almost straight retellings or reimaginings of CT.

Also if I'm not mistaken there was a follow-up/spiritual successor called Radical Dreamers, but it seemed as up its own ass as Chrono Cross, and it only came out in Japan. I'm sure someone knows more.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not really. Chrono Trigger is enough for me.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmm i think SE cares about FF and DQ out of their old rpg ip, they do make new ip jrpg like bravely default

i don't they will bring back ps one/snes rpgs like Chrono Trigger or Xenogears

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Considering how people reacted to Chrono Cross' story, I don't think it'd be a smart move to bring back the old characters and stuff.

I'd prefer another Xenogears.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be all for a new entry in the series, though I liked Cross quite a bit, and there's no way I'd want it on a portable device.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'd prefer they made something closer to Chrono Cross. I prefer that game. Sure, the story might be "up it's own ass", but there's a good cast of characters and a great world. Also the music is better.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

If we're gonna get a Link Between Worlds esque new game from Square I'd rather it be Secret of Mana based.

Or maybe a new Earthbound from Nintendo, which would force me to finally play Earthbound.

But yeah sure that'd be fine too.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

No. I love Chrono Trigger but it stands up on its own as a fantastic, contained story. However, a spiritual successor with similar themes and ideas might work well, or maybe use that as a jumping off point for a deconstruction of common JRPG tropes with a focus on Chrono Trigger in particular and I'm getting too lofty for modern Square.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@video_game_king: Picked it up about two months ago and I'm enjoying the pants off of it. Great music, battle mechanic that isn't stale after the first hundred times, ENEMIES ON SCREEN AKA NO RANDOBATTLES, and the protagonist isn't an insufferable tweener.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Justin258

@video_game_king: I was almost certain you'd have something to say. I meant Square in particular, not Atlus.

I've never heard Radiant Historia described as a deconstruction, though.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@believer258:

I guess you could consider it one, seeing what time travel does to Stocke.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Since I don't think SE could make a game as good as Chrono Trigger: No

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

That would take a lot longer than Zelda, and it's not as safe a bet as Zelda.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Turambar

@brodehouse said:

I'd rather they made an original clone/knockoff with its own whosits and whatsits and characters and lore, even if the game and story are almost straight retellings or reimaginings of CT.

Also if I'm not mistaken there was a follow-up/spiritual successor called Radical Dreamers, but it seemed as up its own ass as Chrono Cross, and it only came out in Japan. I'm sure someone knows more.

Radical Dreamers is a visual novel, and the story bits inside it were placed directly into Chrono Cross.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king said:

@believer258:

*keeps pointing to this game*
    *keeps pointing to this game*

Haha, good point. That continues to sit on my DS backlog of shame, along with The World Ends With You, GTA: Chinatown Wars, and SMT: Strange Journey (though odds are I won't have the patience to finish Strange Journey anyways, so I don't even know why I bought that). I have actually finished pretty much every other DS game I own, though!

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

@bisonhero: I'm in the homestretch of Strange Journey, after what the game reports as 71 hours (let's assume about three of those were completely idle). I've really enjoyed the plot of the game, and it's got me hankering to try out other similar nonsense like Etrian Odyssey or The Dark Spire. There's also a lot of very impressive spritework in the game, if that matters.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeffrud: I've heard people having a difficult time with it, so your account is encouraging.

I tried to play SMT: Devil Survivor (not the same thing, exactly), but really didn't like its take on turn-based combat, and really hated how limited your ability to recruit demons was (you have to buy them from an auction, and the auction only gets new stock when you advance time, but if you're stuck on a particular boss, you can't advance time, and I kinda backed myself into a corner where I needed to basically disgard my current demons to then fuse a new fire-immune team, but all the demons in the auction had complete shit stats, and I'd have to grind for hours to make them where I needed them to be, so I just quit after like 40+ hours, so I'm still mega pissed off about mainline SMT games, and decided to not buy SMT IV as a result).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@bisonhero: Devil Survivor isn't a mainline game, though.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer they made something closer to Chrono Cross. I prefer that game. Sure, the story might be "up it's own ass", but there's a good cast of characters and a great world. Also the music is better.

I guess if you toss out 50 playable characters, a handful are bound to be good.

But then you also have characters like this:

No Caption Provided

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bisonhero: Devil Survivor isn't a mainline SMT title. It's also trash. I actually made the same mistake of playing that turd and letting it color my perception of SMT.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Square Enix as they currently exist don't have any businesses making another Chrono Trigger. They'll just fuck it up.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeffrud said:

@bisonhero: I'm in the homestretch of Strange Journey, after what the game reports as 71 hours (let's assume about three of those were completely idle). I've really enjoyed the plot of the game, and it's got me hankering to try out other similar nonsense like Etrian Odyssey or The Dark Spire. There's also a lot of very impressive spritework in the game, if that matters.

Just be warned that Etrian Odyssey is very much heavier on the dungeon exploration side of things and much lighter on plot, so don't go in expecting a robust story. It does however boast some of the absolute best music in video games.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrighteous86: Fucking Poshul man, god dammit. Chrono Cross is the worst game ever made.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would probably be better if they never touch Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross again considering how divided people are on the latter game.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game ever, and I want them to make another game in that series so bad. But yeah they would probably just fuck it up. Now I'm bummed out.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hehe..... hmmmmm that's has been tried SEVERAL TIMES. Even when Mistwalker was starting up everyone kept saying "is this their next chrono trigger?" To Blue Dragon. Even Diakatana is suppose to be "Inspired by Chrono Trigger" except the Gameboy color comes closer.

hmmmm, I don't know, just considering how inconsistent Square is. It's easy to imagining how many times they HOOK you on nostalgia, Chrono Cross and the entire Mana series after the SNES. Chrono Trigger was a special bit of magic, and all of those guys are off on other studios. Plus also A Link Between Worlds also came in somewhat luke warm early reactions, some complained the art style, and some were just tired of the 2d over head zelda games especially after Phantom Tracks. So that's another case where it surprised everyone over how great it was.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Justin258

@turambar: FUCK. YES. Part of the reason I loved EOIV so much was the music.

@believer258:

I guess you could consider it one, seeing what time travel does to Stocke.

From the few hours I've played of the game, I guess I could see it going in that direction.

@jeffrud said:

Really? I found myself strongly disliking Strange Journey and its characters. All the dialogue kept getting in the way of my hardcore dungeon crawling. I did really like the dungeon crawling, though, so I stuck with it for about forty hours, I think? And I'll probably go back to it at some point, but I have the much better Etrian Odyssey IV to wrap up and EO Untold to dive into, plus I want to play The Dark Spire at some point.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BisonHero

@believer258: @hailinel:@ghostiet: The fact that Devil Survivor wasn't a mainline SMT game probably helped it a little for me, because it's half pretending to be a Persona game what with the teenage kids and the "choose who to spend your time with" aspect (and it's half-pretending to be a tactics game, except at no point does positioning even remotely matter aside from those missions where you have to save some useless NPC).

"Hardcore dungeon crawling", as you put it, is boring as fuck as far as I'm concerned, so I wouldn't play Etrian Odyssey in a million years, and it's why I've largely avoided the mainline SMT series. Again, I'm not even sure why I bought Strange Journey, but if it had enough dialogue to annoy believer258, that is actually a point in its favour for me. Though I'm guessing the split on "endless fucking corridors to walk through as you fight the same 4 monsters over and over" versus "actual story and plot events" is probably still wildly in favour of the former, from what I've heard.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Teens and relationships are par for the course in Megami Tensei. There's nothing specifically pseudo-Persona about that.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Justin258

@bisonhero said:

@believer258: @hailinel:@ghostiet: The fact that Devil Survivor wasn't a mainline SMT game probably helped it a little for me, because it's half pretending to be a Persona game what with the teenage kids and the "choose who to spend your time with" aspect (and it's half-pretending to be a tactics game, except at no point does positioning even remotely matter aside from those missions where you have to save some useless NPC).

"Hardcore dungeon crawling", as you put it, is boring as fuck as far as I'm concerned, so I wouldn't play Etrian Odyssey in a million years, and it's why I've largely avoided the mainline SMT series. Again, I'm not even sure why I bought Strange Journey, but if it had enough dialogue to annoy believer258, that is actually a point in its favour for me. Though I'm guessing the split on "endless fucking corridors to walk through as you fight the same 4 monsters over and over" versus "actual story and plot events" is probably still wildly in favour of the former, from what I've heard.

Dungeon crawlers for me are literally all about mechanics. I understand being bored by the repetitive environments, but those really do not mean much to me. I'd play the game if it were made completely out of lines (and there's a mode in The Dark Spire that does pretty much that). EDIT: And still had the same music. /EDIT

The problem with the dialogue in Strange Journey isn't so much that there's a ton of it (thought that's part of it), but there isn't much of it that's well written. I don't like any of the characters, and there's at least one that I can safely say I hate, and the story spouts more psuedo-science mumbo jumbo than it does actual plot. It meanders and doesn't get to the point.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Ah, that's unfortunate. Well, Strange Journey continues to be probably the lowest priority of those handful of DS games I still haven't started.

@hailinel said:

@bisonhero: Teens and relationships are par for the course in Megami Tensei. There's nothing specifically pseudo-Persona about that.

I guess I meant like real-world teens, which I thought were a more recent development in the series? There's obviously a bunch of Japanese games I've never played, but I thought some of the earlier, pre-Persona SMT games were way less about Japanese high schoolers talking to each other and building relationships. I could be mistaken.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hell does Chrono Trigger have to do with Zelda? Chrono Trigger is a good game that could have another sequel, but so is Vagrant Story, so is Valkyrie Profile 2, so is Suikoden. But ultimately I'd be most interested in Square making a Dark Souls type game, there's no reason every JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy shouldn't be Dark Souls.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BisonHero

@fredchuckdave said:

The hell does Chrono Trigger have to do with Zelda?

They're both classic SNES games where the sequel was then abruptly switched into 3D and into a significantly different gameplay and storytelling paradigm. That's really it, I wasn't trying to make any big connection.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Persona was essentially spun out from the school setting and concepts of Shin Megami Tensei: if.... But setting aside the high school setting, teen relationships of one form or another are at the center of a lot of these games, even if they're as tucked as in Nocturne. The social link aspect of Persona that gives it its semi-dating sim feel wasn't introduced until Persona 3.

futurstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By futurstock

i think it might be kinda cool if they did a 3d remake of chronotrigger like they've been doing with all the ff's (1-4 i think?)

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. They're a very different company now, with different sensibilities.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chrono Trigger deserves to stand on its own as one of the very best (at the very least) SNES titles of all time. Chrono Cross was okay, I appreciated the connections and if you dig deep enough into the story, they had some really cool ideas, but it was so convoluted and poorly executed that everyone wrote it off as up its own ass. A remake would be probably okay, as long as they stayed true to the style and atmosphere of the original, but a true sequel with the same characters? I'd love to play as them again in a new game, but I also really don't.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hell does Chrono Trigger have to do with Zelda? Chrono Trigger is a good game that could have another sequel, but so is Vagrant Story, so is Valkyrie Profile 2, so is Suikoden. But ultimately I'd be most interested in Square making a Dark Souls type game, there's no reason every JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy shouldn't be Dark Souls.

I'd argue no to a sequel to Valkyrie Profile 2, if only because I feel that the plot twists in that game were vile and did everything they could to punch my love of the original game in the junk as hard as it possibly could. Sort of like Chrono Cross.

As for a Link Between Worlds-style Chrono Trigger 2, I think I'd appreciate that. It has a vibrant, colorful world with some interesting characters, many of which were only lightly touched upon. And if they could make a proper Chrono sequel that didn't shit all over the cast of the original game (i.e.: Pulling a Chrono Cross; actually, just forget that Chrono Cross ever happened in the first place) set in the same world from a new angle, I'd love to see it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Would you really want the Square-Enix of today to try to make a sequel to Chrono Trigger?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Ruiner

As long as Akira Toriyama and the original dev team is on board them I'd love a Chrono Trigger 2. Chrono Chross was fine...but it never felt like a true sequel to me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would you really want the Square-Enix of today to try to make a sequel to Chrono Trigger?

They made the FFXIII series and knocked A Realm Reborn out of the park, so yeah.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

They made the FFXIII series and knocked A Realm Reborn out of the park, so yeah.

You like the 13 games as much as what they were putting out in the FF6 era?

Avatar image for noctisluciscaelum
    NoctisLucisCaelum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Another "Chrono" game would be awesome loved Chrono Cross and Trigger. Cross a little more.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I do not hold the XIII series in as high a regard as FFVI, but I still enjoy them, and Lightning is one of my favorite characters in the entire franchise.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It sure would beat getting a new Kingdom Hearts game.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

13 isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be and 6 isn't nearly as good as some people remember it to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.