Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono

Franchise »

The Chrono franchise centers around the imminent threat of a large alien creature that can devour planets, time travel, and multiple endings.

Chrono's Future

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Square-Enix's Vice President recently touched upon the possibility of more games in the Chrono Trigger franchise during a recent interview. Speaking to rpgsite.net, Shinji Hashimoto mentioned that he wasn't impressed by the sales of the franchise to date, and despite their popularity, fans will need to buy many more for any possible future Chrono game.

Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger? [after being told that the games are a very much loved] That's not what the sales tell me!. If people want a sequel, they should buy more!
    - Shinji Hashimoto Square-Enix Vice President

Chrono Trigger DS
    has done well in sales, since March it has managed to sell a little under 500,000 in Japan, a quarter of a million in the US, but oddly, a measly 60,000 copies in Europe, and this when the game was never sold here before.

Chrono Trigger DS has failed to hit the million mark because, it's a port, a game that many gamers already possess through illegal means, after waiting for so long to play it again I should add. The game also received very weak advertising.

It seems to me Square-Enix may need to take a gamble if we fans are ever to see a new Chrono game. I really cannot see the DS game shifting sufficent copies for them to realize it's potential in this gen, can you?

Thoughts?

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

I already hate that guy.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By VWGTI

I don't understand how Square could say making a new Chrono Trigger wouldn't be profitable. If you make a good game it'll sell.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

@VWGTI said:
    " I don't understand how Square could say making a new Chrono Trigger wouldn't be profitable. If you make a good game it'll sell. "

It's obviously not that simple when large project budgets are concerned, SE seem to have a policy of only investing in franchises that have proved themselves with significant sales.

Disappointing...

@kitsune_conundrum said:
    " I already hate that guy. "

I hate him too, he stands in the way of many great games.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Ten year old port of extremelly fabled JRPG didn't sell so no sequel? What kind of twisted logic is that? People have to buy the same game twice to convince them? For a direct port these sales are fucking AWESOME. Those sales are more than most developers hope for their brand-new games, and a no-effort port (as it's not a remake like their Final Fantasy re-releases) demands more..? This thing would have been profitable with less than 5K sales probably. Of course a sequel would need more than that but its sales potential can't be judged by this port, and if it could be judged then with these numbers it would actually be a YES IT'LL WORK case...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

S-E Handheld Game Sales

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I liked Chrono Trigger and loved Chrono Cross and was hoping that there would be more but this guy is a Dick so i guess that means No.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

I think it's very stupid of Square Enix to try to judge the sales of a potential title by counting the sales of a port to a specific single platform.

They'd probably find a way to make it crappy anyways if they did make a sequel though.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By tekmojo

BS, he's just trying to build hype for a game secretly in development.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Square has done  nothing short of not releaseing chrono games to try and kill that franchise they don't market it snes chrono trigger got marketing chrono cross got barely any marketing and chrono trigger DS got even less then that, Then you have all these fanmade games that rival and destroy square offiical ones. games that show a care of the gameplay and story that square doesn't have any more, And when they are talked bout BOOM sqaure kills them off with cease and desist orders not because they are worried bout property rights but because they are being made to look bad, these games with developer numbers of like 3-4 people rival any thing comming out of square interms of story and it makes square look bad simple as that.

Maybe if square would give their short end games marketing preference over their more well knowns then they'd get the sales, maybe if they didn't release an inane DS port that at most took them 3 months to put together that has no real content over the original game and try to make us pay 40 dollars for it, its like atari rereleaseing the original atari pacman with no upgrade on xbox live or psn and being suprised when no one purchases it because they have other alternatives like pacman CE which is totally remade and cool.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By vidiot

Uh-oh. They've made vidiot very angry.
    This whole situation, and quote from him sickens and infuriates me.
    Chrono Trigger was completely out of print for years, and there were two fan remakes in the works. (One of which wasn't even a remake.) More recently they shut down another fan project Crimson Echoes which got a cease and desist letter literally weeks before it's release. When fans are doing more work than you are with your own franchise, there is a problem. The solution isn't to treat them like garbage, but to actually do something constructive with it.

A port of a game that's over ten years old, is not constructive. If you've wanted to play Chrono Trigger by now, you have played Chrono Trigger. At least with the port they can now, maybe, have some leg to stand on when they get upset with fan projects that infringe on their copyright. Valve on the other hand has no problem with it.

Fuck youSquare. I'm sorry that my reaction has to devolve to such language, but c'mon!
    And he actually has the balls to insinuate a complaint to the customers as if we aren't doing something right.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

@vidiot said:
    " Uh-oh. They've made vidiot very angry.
    Chrono Trigger was completely out of print for years, and there were two fan remakes in the works. (One of which wasn't even a remake.) More recently they shut down another fan project Crimson Echoes which got a cease and desist letter literally weeks before it's release. When fans are doing more work than you are with your own franchise, there is a problem. The solution isn't to treat them like garbage, but to actually do something constructive with it.

A port of a game that's over ten years old, is not constructive. If you've wanted to play Chrono Trigger by now, you have played Chrono Trigger. At least with the port they can now, maybe, have some leg to stand on when they get upset with fan projects that infringe on their copyright. Valve on the other hand has no problem with it.

Fuck youSquare. I'm sorry that my reaction has to devolve to such language, but c'mon!
    And he actually has the balls to insinuate a complaint to the customers as if we aren't doing something right. "

Good points.

He seems totally ******* oblivious that his comments are likely to draw anger from faithful fans, those that have been attempting to support this franchise whenever possible. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#13  Edited By LordAndrew

Hashimoto should get in touch with Square Enix's legal department. They've shut down enough fan projects to prove that there is a significant fanbase.

Why the hell are they looking at the sales for a $40 DS port of a 14 year old game and using that to judge the series fanbase? I'm sure many fans have already played the game on the SNES or PlayStation and do not feel the need to pay more than a DS game should for a game they've been playing for years already. Plus there's DS piracy issues you have to keep in mind as well. When you consider all that, the game sold pretty damn well.

Don't want to make a sequel? Fine, but tell us that. Don't make up bull**** excuses for why you won't do it.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By vidiot
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "

@vidiot said:
    " Uh-oh. They've made vidiot very angry.

And he actually has the balls to insinuate a complaint to the customers as if we aren't doing something right. "
    Good points. He seems totally ******* oblivious that his comments are likely to draw anger from faithful fans, those that have been attempting to support this franchise whenever possible.  "
    He's oblivious because when it comes to anything out of the Square-Bubble, they are oblivious. They have no idea what western gamers want, as dictated time and time again, more recently with the series of interviews with Kitase. It's only going to get worse unless they get their act together. This type of introverted behavior is not sustainable in the global gaming market anymore.  
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By luce

well selling an old ass Jrpg in america for $40 (a handheld game) isn't exactly a recipe for success..even if its chrono trigger

i understand its appeal but thats still alot of money..i don't care if it's their standard charge for DS games

when i bought it i already felt like i was paying twice the reasonable amount for that game, that dude aint satisfied?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.