Chronovolt is fundamentally broken.

#1 Posted by onan (1284 posts) -

I downloaded this for free the other day on my Vita and was all set to like it, however it's set up with the now standard 3 star ranking per level, something like Angry Birds. The third star is always for beating the level in a certain amount of time.

The issue is that Chronovolt tries to have a narrative. That's great, but it interrupts gameplay with the same plot-filled text boxes every time you restart a level. When one primary aspect of your game (time trials) is suggesting you ignore another aspect of your game (plot), you may want to rethink that design document. It wouldn't be that bad if on the retry, they skipped the dialogue, or if playing through the story version of the level unlocked the time trial version. Honestly, anything. As it is, I try to launch my ball very quickly to get that time trial star and the game abruptly stops my ball for dialogue. When I click the dialogue, my ball goes flying off a ledge.

I don't want to hate on the game. I absolutely love the character design for Jessica Chase and the art for the game. After 2 levels, I gave up on the time trials, and after that, I felt like the game was penalizing me and telling me I was playing wrong when it would throw in my face I didn't "fully" beat the level with 3 stars. I feel they could have done better.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

You and I have very different ideas on "fundamentally broken."

#3 Posted by onan (1284 posts) -

Sure, mine is hyperbole because being literal is boring.

They still made some incredibly poor choices with this thing that makes it difficult to enjoy it on either a skill-based or narrative level. That's really a shame.

#4 Posted by TheDubbleJ (1 posts) -

It certainly does seem to go out of its way to make sure that nothing quite comes together in any sort of satisfying way.

#5 Posted by Kinapuff (244 posts) -

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one bothered by this.

#6 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -

Hmm, I was wondering why it has an average rating of 3 stars on the PSN store.

#7 Posted by The_EDJ (53 posts) -

I deleted this after the 4th or 5th level. Intriguing idea with frustrating controls.

#8 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

I found it boring after the 3rd level.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.