Cing Bankrupt

#1 Posted by Linkyshinks (11407 posts) -

According to Japanese financial services website Data Max, development studio CING creators of Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Little King Story, are filing for bankruptcy. Data Max's report states the studio has debts of over 250 million yen. The Fukuoka-based company began preparations for bankruptcy filings on March 1st.     

Hopefully this news will not effect Room 215's sequel - Last Window, from appearing in the West.  

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/26/looks-like-last-window-is-being-localized/
#2 Posted by TheHT (12378 posts) -

That's too bad. Little King Story looked alright and Hotel Dusk looked really interesting. Guess that's just the business though.

#3 Edited by Bigandtasty (3139 posts) -

Always sucks to see a decent game developer close, especially one making interesting, unorthodox stuff.

#4 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -

Shame nobody contracted them for more projects to keep their bills paid. Wonder if any publisher will wanna buy them out before it ends? That'd be cool. Unless they plan to form another company soon afterwards or something...

#5 Edited by Jeust (11493 posts) -

Even as a good developer how did they made a debt of over 250 million yen?! That's some serious shit!

#6 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -

It's 2.78 million USD, any of the big publishers could easilly afford it, if they were actally interested in CING. I guess they aren't.

Maybe they'll form a new studio or a team under another publisher. That or go their separate ways to different companies now.

#7 Posted by RoyCampbell (1092 posts) -

I've been trying to dig regarding the status of Cing and its developers for the longest time... anyone have any idea what's going on?

Their website led to a blank, white screen for the longest time until just recently when the whole thing was taken down. This whole thing is still a bummer!!

#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -

LINKY !

AL3XAND3R !!

THEY'RE ALIV---  oh ;(
#9 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -
@RoyCampbell: Well according to the thread they filed for bankruptcy over a year ago so.. 
#10 Posted by NinjaHunter (996 posts) -

It always freaks me out every time I see a linky thread bumped.

#11 Edited by RoyCampbell (1092 posts) -
@Azteck: Uhh, yeah. I would know, I read up on it beforehand and read the thread. My query still holds up.

Other than myself wanting to know if Cing got out of their unfortunate rut and what happened to the developers, I want another Kyle Hyde game damn it!
#12 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
@RoyCampbell said:
" I've been trying to dig regarding the status of Cing and its developers for the longest time... anyone have any idea what's going on? Their website led to a blank, white screen for the longest time until just recently when the whole thing was taken down. This whole thing is still a bummer!! "
I think that the simplest answer is that they simply went out of business after their bankruptcy filing.  It's unfortunate, but the company seemed very limited in terms of their genre scope and their audience appeal, and only one of their games (Hotel Dusk) had any real sort of international success (and it was a modest seller at best, as far as I know).
#13 Posted by RoyCampbell (1092 posts) -
@Hailinel: Thanks. I've heard next to nothing on this stuff so it's nice to have some sort of clue. I'll still hold out for that small spark of hope that Cing'll make a return!

It's nuts that I haven't seen any of the developers branching out and doing that sort of stuff when a company goes under. So much mystery; we have another friggin' Hotel Dusk on our hands with the degree of unknown going on with Cing. Hehe.
#14 Edited by RoyCampbell (1092 posts) -
@Hailinel: Oh, one more thing I find strange: Friggin' Last Window, released September of last year in Europe. Just last month I ordered and received my copy overseas. I think I remembered seeing it on a "Most Popular" list in the DS games section on the site I ordered from (Play-Asia).

Its current status is "Back ordered, ships once restocked". How are new copies being distributed with the company behind it now non-existent, and where's this money people are spending on the game going to? The debtors? Mysteries!

I mean, if it's selling good enough to warrant a place on a "most popular" list of games, wouldn't this do anything for Cing?
#15 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
@RoyCampbell said:
" @Hailinel: Oh, one more thing I find strange: Friggin' Last Window, released September of last year in Europe. Just last month I ordered and received my copy overseas. I think I remembered seeing it on a "Most Popular" list in the DS games section on the site I ordered from (Play-Asia).Its current status is "Back ordered, ships once restocked". How are new copies being distributed with the company behind it now non-existent, and where's this money people are spending on the game going to? The debtors? Mysteries!I mean, if it's selling good enough to warrant a place on a "most popular" list of games, wouldn't this do anything for Cing? "
Though it was developed by Cing, the game is published by Nintendo.  So any issues with production and shipment of new copies of the game are Nintendo's responsibility.
#16 Posted by RoyCampbell (1092 posts) -
@Hailinel: Ohhh... "Publisher"... d'oh! Thanks for that. Now if only Nintendo had acquired Cing just because...

Anyway, thanks again for being graceful with your replies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.