Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cities XL

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 09, 2009

Cities XL was an online city builder that led to the bankruptcy of French developer Monte Cristo after a few months.

Review or QL?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

I had been hoping there might be a Quick Look or a review on this upcoming, but since I don't believe I've ever heard anyone at GB say anything about the game at any time, ever, I'm not really expecting anything from it. *sigh*

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jimbo

It's worth playing.  If you have fond memories of Sim City, but aren't one of those people that spend their free time making traffic mods for SC4, then I think you'll enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Either one would be cool. It looks like an interesting game. I do love some Sim City 4

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Branthog

I actually blew the cash and downloaded this last night, but haven't even had time to finish the tutorial. I have to say that I am a little unimpressed by some aspects so far. The localization is poor. The avatar creator is awful - everyone ends up looking like a fat middle aged angry French stereotype. The presentation (of the tutorial, at least) is done through pop-up text windows with pictures of various generic characters telling you what to do (what, no audio?!). And astonishingly, the graphics are leaving me an awful lot to be desired. Perhaps once I'm full swing into the game, I'll change my mind. On initial fifteen or twenty minute glance, however, the screen-shots and videos over the last year had me expecting so much more. I thought I would launch the game and instantly be blown away by all sorts of procedural landscape candy and so forth.

It feels very much like Sim City 4 at this stage. Even graphically. I'll have to see what I come away with after a more than superficial interaction with it, though!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

The avatar creator and tutorial are probably the weakest elements of the game, but stick with it.  I haven't picked up a retail copy yet but I sunk 50+ hours into the beta and got a good deal of entertainment out of it even in beta condition, and it was improving quite significantly towards the end.

I'd be interested to hear what people are making of it so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.