Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

City of Heroes

Franchise »

A superhero MMO, operating from 2004-2012, and now taken offline.

City of Heroes Closure Stirs Emotions; Massive Fan Reaction

Amerist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Amerist

As we all know by now NCSoft is closing City of Heroes and disbanding Paragon Studios.

This is actually something of a hugely emotional event for many of the fans of the game. People who have played it since launch and even survived the transition to free-to-play (only a year or so ago.) As a result of the announcement, Facebook pages have appeared, petitions have surfaced, even some celebrity authors have gotten behind trying to save it -- Mercedes Lackey and Neil Gaiman both have thrown in their support.

Let me know if you play City of Heroes and tell me what you think about the closure.

Amerist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Amerist

As we all know by now NCSoft is closing City of Heroes and disbanding Paragon Studios.

This is actually something of a hugely emotional event for many of the fans of the game. People who have played it since launch and even survived the transition to free-to-play (only a year or so ago.) As a result of the announcement, Facebook pages have appeared, petitions have surfaced, even some celebrity authors have gotten behind trying to save it -- Mercedes Lackey and Neil Gaiman both have thrown in their support.

Let me know if you play City of Heroes and tell me what you think about the closure.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Jrinswand

What do Mercedes Lackey/Neil Gaiman have to do with City of Heroes?

I've had the game sitting on my shelf for years and have never once installed it. I guess now I never will.

Amerist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Amerist
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By welshguy

I've been playing this game for six and a half years and its one of my favorites. Its easy, not demanding for a casual player like, has one of the best character creation systems, there's a lot of freedom and honestly one of the best communities I've encountered in an mmo as well as having an interesting and fun world to play in. I used to play it every day (time and job dependent) but since that annoucement at the end of August, I've been on there once and got so bummed out I couldn't bring myself to stay on. I said my goodbyes to the supergroup I had joined and gave a heartfelt speech in the general chat that incredibly no-one mocked or criticized. And that is what made city of heroes so special; its players. I truly loved this game and the time I spent on there, I love my characters (my superman rip-off mainly) and played regularly with a lot of good people. What was amazing was that so many players expressed not just sadness at their game being shut down but grief for the developers too who had put so much time and effort into making the game what it was.

From what I understood, Paragon Studios had a lot of ideas in the pipe-line and there always seemed plenty of players on when I was on, so it seemed incredible that NCsoft would shut the studio down and kill the game. When they announced its closure I couldn't believe it at first, then disbelief turned to sadness that it was going. I won't be logging in on the final day as it will just be too damn sad.

So yes, I will miss city of heroes and quite honestly NCsoft can go fuck themselves as I will never play another one of their games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.