City of Heroes goes free to play as well

#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

What's with all these free to play game lately, is the MMO market collapsing in on itself or did everyone decide at once that microtrasnactions are the way to go?

Anyway, City of Heroes is going to go free to play with City of Heroes Freedom update later this year. City of Heroes has been offering up microtrasnactions for awhile now with costume pieces and powers for those willing to pony up the dough for additional content, so it's nice that they've finally hacked off the monthly fee for the game in favor of supporting the game this way.  What's odd is that the monthly fee isn't completely gone. Those who continue to pay on a monthly basis gain VIP status and are awarded Paragon points at the beginning of each month to spend on items and VIP rewards. Seems a bit strange if they are going to allow you to just buy most of this with money anyway, but I'm not complaining.

City of Heroes still probably has one of the best character creators in any MMO ever, and the game itself wasn't too bad either last time i tried it out shortly before the Going Rouge expansion launched so I'm definitely on board with taking another crack at it for free.

You can read more about City of Heroes Freedom here.

#2 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

rad

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (12110 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

What's odd is that the monthly fee isn't completely gone. Those who continue to pay on a monthly basis gain VIP status and are awarded Paragon points at the beginning of each month to spend on items and VIP rewards. Seems a bit strange if they are going to allow you to just buy most of this with money anyway, but I'm not complaining.

That's pretty much how LOTRO works.

Also, I think everyone finally realized that they couldn't compete with WoW.

#4 Posted by fluxbit (125 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Also, I think everyone finally realized that they couldn't compete with WoW.

Perhaps doubly so for City of Heroes which has had to contend with Champions Online free-to-play.

#5 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11985 posts) -

My initial reaction to this was "People still play City of Heroes?" My second was "Yeah, they should have done this 3 years ago"

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Hope they don't limit the powers/creator as they did with Champions, that really sucked. :/

#7 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -

Duuuuuuuuuude. I fucking love City of Heroes. It would be nice to get back in for a while.

#8 Posted by Fink (104 posts) -

Oh, I should of posted this. I'm still playing CoH. Been going for 66 months.

Free to play was inevitable, but they seam to be doing a good job with the hybrid model. I'm going to continue to pay for it, and this will just get more people to play, win win.

#9 Posted by Amerist (58 posts) -

This means that I'll be able to start playing again (I ran out of subscription money.) ξ

#10 Posted by Fink (104 posts) -

Also, people who are saying DOOOOOOOOOOOOM (tm)

WOW just went free to play hybrid also.

#11 Posted by PenguinDust (12595 posts) -
@Fink said:

Also, people who are saying DOOOOOOOOOOOOM (tm)

WOW just went free to play hybrid also.

Yeah, I read WOW is free-to-play up to level 20 and you can be a blood elf or draenei but can't be a goblin or worgen.  I read it only takes an afternoon these days to hit 20 in WOW.  I remember when it at least took a full weekend.  

Anyway, I'll check this out alongside Age of Conan later this year when the servers open up. 
#12 Posted by JCTango (1365 posts) -

Haven't played City of Heroes in years, maybe one day I'll go back into it just to see my characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.