City of Heroes goes Free to play today

#1 Posted by Dread612 (167 posts) -
#2 Posted by Drazat (167 posts) -

I loved this it was my first MMO but i left around issue 9 maybe time to go back for a look.

#3 Posted by Dread612 (167 posts) -

@Drazat:

Yea I played through Issue 4 - Issue 13. Curious to go back and see if my SG is even there.

#4 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

if you're a returning player, this is very helpful to figure out where you stand in the new reward tiers, how many tokens you should have, and how gimped your experience will be as a free player (can't use global chat if you're under 5 tokens, can't make masterminds if you're under 13 tokens, can't use inventions if you're under 27 tokens, etc.) until you subscribe or pony up some cash to buy access.

if anyone wants to add me, i play on mostly on protector but i have 2 new characters on virtue, and my global is @6X

#5 Posted by project343 (2809 posts) -

Was incredibly happy to see the changes made to this game. An 8 year old game with as much modern-day polish as the leading modern-day competition (i.e.: Rift). Instantly felt the nostalgia take me over, and incredibly happy with the free to play content.

Honestly, if you tried Champions Online and thought it was an utter pile of trash with a few nuggets of gold, I'd recommend dabbling in CoHF. The background downloader is probably the best I've seen, so you'll likely only spend a couple minutes waiting for the initial system download.

Go ahead, folks. Give 'er a try.

#6 Posted by Crash_Happy (653 posts) -

Man I was so bummed when Champions failed to click like CoH had.

So how do they deal with players that already had a Mastermind turning up again on free to play?

#7 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

@Crash_Happy said:

Man I was so bummed when Champions failed to click like CoH had.

So how do they deal with players that already had a Mastermind turning up again on free to play?

if you don't have enough reward tokens to unlock access, you can buy access for 800 points (i think $10), or go VIP

same goes for controllers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.