No GB stream for the end of this MMO today?

#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

It's shutting down today and I haven't heard any news of a steam happening. Does anyone know if it's gonna happen? They normally have a Friday stream or something.

#2 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10479 posts) -
#3 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

Patrick was saying they're "looking into it" during TNT last night, but who knows what that means.

#4 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Can't say I'm surprised. Anytime anyone has asked them or brought it up over the past 3 months they wouldn't say shit. They'll just do another shit Spookin' with Scoops premium and call it a week.

#5 Posted by deano546 (182 posts) -

I hope they do something with it, but I guess with the time its ending it would be awkward. Maybe Jeff or Patrick could stream it from home?

#6 Posted by Hugs (21 posts) -

This is a real shame. Its an interesting thing that doesn't require that much effort from the guys to show.

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Probably not.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -
@Nightriff

Can't say I'm surprised. Anytime anyone has asked them or brought it up over the past 3 months they wouldn't say shit. They'll just do another shit Spookin' with Scoops premium and call it a week.

Or it's because they never gotta response when they contacted the devs about it. But sure I suppose more Patrick hate is cool too.
#9 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

i remember in the last thread we pretty much bombarded their twitter about it and they just said that PR hadnt gotten back to them or something

#10 Posted by Hugs (21 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

i remember in the last thread we pretty much bombarded their twitter about it and they just said that PR hadnt gotten back to them or something

cant they just do it anyway?

#11 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

The PR not getting back to them seems like a really cheap excuse for not doing anything. It's not like this has snuck up on them.

#13 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

It's looking super unlikely, which is a real shame because I love City of Heroes. It's certainly more beloved than Galaxies or Matrix, and it would have been a perfect goodbye.

Alas.

#14 Posted by Ravelle (1189 posts) -

City of Heroes was my favorite MMO and although it was sometimes quite repetitive, its customization of your character, level based unlockables, deep skill managing and the amazing community made it all a great experience.

Same deal with Ragnarok Online, which is still weirdly popular and going strong for a game that has no story or quests and is basically a hat collector simulator.

#15 Edited by Eeptog (113 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan:

Which is crap because i distinctly remember them saying "You can bet giantbomb will be there."

The reason the devs didnt get back to them is because the studio was laid off...

What a disappointment from the GB team.

Edit:

And...It's over.

#16 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -

I wanted to login as well but couldn't find a place to download the 
media. They may not have had it either.  Oh well.  I'm hoping that 
somebody will take COX off NCSoft's hand & another developer 
can rebuild it to COX 2.  It needs an HD makeover & some new 
content, perhaps more character classes.

#17 Posted by fluxbit (125 posts) -

Jeff posted a short Tumblr Q&A about not covering the City of Heroes finale, with this being the salient point:

I can’t just snap my fingers and say WE’RE STAYIN’ AT WORK ALL NIGHT without feeling like some sort of horrible monster.

Which begs the question: did Jeff snap his fingers and say WE'RE COMIN' TO WORK ALL DAY, SUNDAY to cover the Wii U launch? Did he feel like a horrible monster that day?

I love Giant Bomb too much to ask him point-blank.

#18 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@fluxbit said:

Jeff posted a short Tumblr Q&A about not covering the City of Heroes finale, with this being the salient point:

I can’t just snap my fingers and say WE’RE STAYIN’ AT WORK ALL NIGHT without feeling like some sort of horrible monster.

Which begs the question: did Jeff snap his fingers and say WE'RE COMIN' TO WORK ALL DAY, SUNDAY to cover the Wii U launch? Did he feel like a horrible monster that day?

I love Giant Bomb too much to ask him point-blank.

I disagree to ask them point-blank. When it was announced that it was shutting down Ryan said point blank that "We will be there." Sounds like plans to me and that was 3 months ago. If stuff came up and they couldn't do it, tell us, let us know but to just go "PR never got back to us"......so what? You need PR to tell you that yes it is closing? "I didn't want people to stay late on a Friday".....Coming in on a Sunday all day is better? Having the company pay and run a 24 hour marathon of Halo is less stressful? I know it was for charity but still.

The lack of communication is what bothers me. And now it is just excuses. All they had to say was personal reasons, even if it is a lie, and we would be fine and understanding but everything they have said is bullshit. Past 2 months of premium content has been god awful too so I was really looking foreword to this and all I got was disappointment.

#19 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Our video game heroes are getting old, they can't handle staying up all night again so soon with a new full week of work ahead of them. Maybe he'd feel like monster for that reason; that they'd just done it for the Wii U? Maybe they should get some new young individuals in to start a new legacy, learning from the best in the business.

#20 Posted by TheHT (10888 posts) -

wait, that was, but, they always, it's over? awwww :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.