Wanna come hang out for the end of the world in City of Heroes?

#1 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

If you're playing for this final week of City of Heroes, I created a global chat channel people can hang out in, if you have access to that sort of thing (stupid free to play restrictions).

If you're not playing yet but want to be, you need to have had an account at some point in the past, as they've turned off new account creation as of about a month ago. If you have an account but need the client, you will need the NCSoft Launcher installed, then just boot it up and choose City of Heroes from the list. You can also install the Beta from here, which will let you access Issue 24 features and powersets that will never make it to the live servers, as well as mess with things on the market that are free for Beta.

Once you are actually in game, just right click your chat window and go to "Add Tab" like you see here:

That will bring up a new window where you can add channels to that tab. Click the "Join Channel" button and then type GiantBomb as you can see here:

Click OK and make sure you set it as the Default channel for that tab, then name it something up top and press OK. Now you're ready to hang out for the end of the world. This channel is Global, meaning any server or character you're on you can still see and chat in it, which makes it nice for people who might be spread out across servers playing with their friends.

The keybind for talking in this channel is: /bind key beginchat /send "GiantBomb"

That will make it so anything you set as key will make it so anything you type after pressing it will be sent to the GiantBomb channel when you press enter to send. I recommend something like "G" or "\".

As far as I know there was never an "official" GiantBomb server or anything, but the word is there will be special events on the last day on the Virtue server, which usually means hell of Giant Monsters to fight for no real reason, if you're into that sort of thing. In fact here is Atlas Park on Virtue as of an hour ago.

Those steps are where fresh characters start out... Dangerous.

If anyone has any other questions about playing for the final week, feel free to ask and I'll answer as soon as I can if someone else hasn't already.

The servers are supposed to shut down on November 30th at Midnight Pacific time.

#2 Posted by TheHT (10812 posts) -

Whoa, what the hell?! I hope the crew are planning on jumping in for the end.

That's pretty cool of you to set up a channel for duders to chat in. I do hope the game gets a proper send-off.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

I just hope GB does something like they said they would, I will be very disappointed if they don't

#4 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

MAN I SHOULD REALLY REALLY DO THIS I USED TO LOVE CITY OF HEROES...

I'm gonna do it. I'll be there.

#5 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

I just hope GB does something like they said they would, I will be very disappointed if they don't

There wasn't anything about it on I Love Mondays, and it's not in the upcoming schedule, so I think they may have forgotten.

#6 Edited by Fink (99 posts) -
#7 Posted by Fink (99 posts) -

@onimonkii said:

@Nightriff said:

There wasn't anything about it on I Love Mondays, and it's not in the upcoming schedule, so I think they may have forgotten.

I hope not. I'm bugging them on twitter :(

#8 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

@Fink said:

@onimonkii said:

@Nightriff said:

If it isn't brought up during the Bombcast then we should bombard Ryan's twitter. He did say they would be there but we still haven't heard anything about it. Because Ryan wasn't in the ILM I don't think that should hold much precedent.

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

If Giant Bomb misses one of the big MMORPG closures after the two previous ones being seemingly popular video features, despite their previously stated motivation to document those events for posterity and their promise that they would do so on the Bombcast, then... that would suck.

#10 Posted by CornBREDX (4757 posts) -

I've moved on from this game a while ago. I do hope Giantbomb joins the end of the world party for CoX, though. It was a great game, my only problem with it was it didn't do much with it. After you reached level cap the idea was just that you'd make another character and start all over- or maybe PvP. That's never really been my style. It didn't help that they reused assets in a lot of stuff, and I was never big on the stuff players made (although I'm sure it got better after I stopped playing).  

Being that it's Thursday, if Giantbomb partakes maybe it could take place instead of TNT or something.

CoX is not a bad MMO. It will be missed, and I will always look back on it fondly, same as I do SWG.

#11 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Fink said:

@onimonkii said:

@Nightriff said:

Yes, everyone remind them on Twitter.

#12 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

Being that it's Thursday, if Giantbomb partakes maybe it could take place instead of TNT or something. CoX is not a bad MMO. It will be missed, and I will always look back on it fondly, same as I do SWG.

It's actually on Friday, as per the official forums:

To clarify: you will be able to play until 11:59:59PM on November 30. They will shut off at midnight.

@McGhee said:

@Fink said:

@onimonkii said:

@Nightriff said:

Yes, everyone remind them on Twitter.

I PMed Ryan about a month ago offering up my second account for them to use for the stream if they don't have one themselves. No response yet, but the offer still stands if they need it.

#13 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

God all this speculation is freaking me out in that they might not actually do it.

#14 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

cool, I'll be on. It's sad seeing this particular game go. It was pretty great.

#15 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -
#16 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -
#17 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I'd love to... but... you know how that goes.

#18 Posted by yoshisaur (2611 posts) -

I really wish I would've been able to enjoy CoH back when it first released. It seemed like such a fantastic game, and a lot of my friends thoroughly enjoyed it. I just couldn't get past the first couple of hours.

I hope GB is going to participate in this sound-off.

#19 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

While I may not have a yacht this time around, I am fully committed to being there when this game ends.

#20 Edited by Carousel (418 posts) -

Regardless, I'm gonna be there. I have a long history with this game. It was my World of Warcraft

So many memories.

In fact, I just remembered a Super Group that popped up early in the game's launch. I forget their names, but they had costumes that looked like Taxi Cabs and would station themselves near the exits of every zone and teleport other players around for a small fee.

User created fast travel, gotta love it.

Also, this end of the world clock was just posted on their Facebook page.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=City+of+Heroes+Sunset&iso=20121130T235959&p1=283

#21 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

@CaptStickybeard said:

Regardless, I'm gonna be there. I have a long history with this game. It was my World of Warcraft

So many memories.

In fact, I just remembered a Super Group that popped up early in the game's launch. I forget their names, but they had costumes that looked like Taxi Cabs and would station themselves near the exits of every zone and teleport other players around for a small fee.

User created fast travel, gotta love it.

Also, this end of the world clock was just posted on their Facebook page.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=City+of+Heroes+Sunset&iso=20121130T235959&p1=283

haha the Taxibots were so cool. i think at least one of them still plays

#22 Posted by Fink (99 posts) -

That reminds me, I made this a while back. Good time as any to share it:

#23 Posted by fluxbit (125 posts) -

I just harassed Jeff and Ryan on twitter about this. Here's hoping they have something in the works.

#24 Posted by welshguy (40 posts) -

Ever since the closure was announced I've only been on once, and that was for half an hour during which i got pretty bummed up that the game was doomed. I would love to log in to see it through to the final moments but god damn it, i will just be too upset. It was fun, got me through some pretty shit times and will remain one of my favourite games ever and in my top 2 mmo's (right up there with star wars galaxies). Now I honestly don't think I'll bother with another mmo. But I'm glad that folks are going to give it the send off it deserves

#25 Posted by UndeadPatPat (29 posts) -

It will be missed.

#26 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

Time to start twitter bombing Ryan until we get a fucking answer? I don't want to harass him alone, I need the community to help

#27 Posted by Brother_PipPop (251 posts) -
@Nightriff Dude
#28 Edited by onimonkii (2429 posts) -
#29 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

@onimonkii said:

@Nightriff said:

Time to start twitter bombing Ryan until we get a fucking answer? I don't want to harass him alone, I need the community to help

https://twitter.com/taswell/status/274266720938627072

Strikes me as a cop out excuse but whatever, obviously they aren't going to do anything

#30 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1799 posts) -

even though i never really played the game ill still be there to see the end

:_:

#31 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1799 posts) -

hey can anyone help when ever i try to join/add the channel it says i need level 4 paragon or vip membership to do that

#32 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -
@Nightriff

@onimonkii said:

@Nightriff said:

Strikes me as a cop out excuse but whatever, obviously they aren't going to do anything

Yeah that doesn't strike me as a great reason either. Shame as the star wars one was a fun watch.
#33 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

@FunkasaurasRex said:

@Nightriff

@onimonkii said:

@Nightriff said:

Yeah that doesn't strike me as a great reason either. Shame as the star wars one was a fun watch.

Star Wars one and Matrix one are fantastic, as someone who doesn't play MMOs I found these features fascinating to watch, looks like that magic won't happen again.

#34 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

hey can anyone help when ever i try to join/add the channel it says i need level 4 paragon or vip membership to do that

that's just part of the bad free to play system sadly. there's pretty much nothing you can do about it now.

if you're a returning veteran, check your paragon rewards and see if you have any unspent tokens, other than that you can't use it :(

it's really terrible because i have friends who played for a long time who aren't high enough rewards tier to use their old characters anymore, so coming back to see it off is pointless to them.

#35 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@FunkasaurasRex said:

@Nightriff

@onimonkii said:

@Nightriff said:

Star Wars one and Matrix one are fantastic, as someone who doesn't play MMOs I found these features fascinating to watch, looks like that magic won't happen again.

hopefully he checks his twitter after tnt or something. he seemed kind of pre-occupied with hoodie stuff earlier.

i'd like to see this happen but if they don't care or don't have time that's fine too.

#36 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

I always heard so much praise for this game. I hope the game gets the most badass send off ever. Or at least a very heartfelt one. I would hope it is not simply *Black Screen* Thanks for playing City of Heroes! If i used to have an account I would be there.

#37 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

No show, I guess.

That's kind of shitty of them.

Oh well, see you all in-game.

#38 Posted by fluxbit (125 posts) -

Jeff also posted something on Tumblr: http://jeffgerstmann.tumblr.com/post/36868180724

I don’t think we’re going to be able to do anything as its closing (because that’s happening late at night), but we’re still thinking it over.

@onimonkii said:

@Nightriff said:

@Nightriff said:

#39 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

Welp, it's over. It lasted a good 4 minutes after midnight, but they all fell like dominoes after.

Goodbye City of Heroes :(

#40 Edited by fluxbit (125 posts) -

It was a nice send-off. Sad it had to happen, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.