Cliff Bleszinski Leaving Epic Games

Posted by patrickklepek (3508 posts) -

Who expected this one?

Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski is leaving Epic Games to “chart the next stage of his career,” according to a blog post on the company’s website.

“I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop,” said Bleszinski in a note to colleagues, parts of which are featured on the site. “I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that I’m grown up, it’s time for a much needed break.”

Bleszinski pointed people to the blog on his Twitter account, but has said nothing else about his future.

The designer has been at Epic Games for 20 years, having worked on everything from Jazz Jackrabbit to Unreal Tournament. He was one of the principal leads on the Gears of War franchise, and often shared the spotlight with Mark Rein and Mike Capps as the faces of Epic Games.

He was always a fun interview, too.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3508 posts) -

Who expected this one?

Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski is leaving Epic Games to “chart the next stage of his career,” according to a blog post on the company’s website.

“I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop,” said Bleszinski in a note to colleagues, parts of which are featured on the site. “I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that I’m grown up, it’s time for a much needed break.”

Bleszinski pointed people to the blog on his Twitter account, but has said nothing else about his future.

The designer has been at Epic Games for 20 years, having worked on everything from Jazz Jackrabbit to Unreal Tournament. He was one of the principal leads on the Gears of War franchise, and often shared the spotlight with Mark Rein and Mike Capps as the faces of Epic Games.

He was always a fun interview, too.

Staff
#2 Posted by peEtr (13 posts) -

This is crazy.

#3 Posted by Kazzenn (124 posts) -

Damn

#4 Posted by tyxja (276 posts) -

Wow. Well, good luck to you, Cliff!

#5 Posted by theveej (812 posts) -

wow

#6 Posted by jelekeloy (456 posts) -

Good for him, he's earned it.

#7 Posted by theanticitizen (258 posts) -
@peEtr call me maybe?
#8 Posted by nifehunter (4 posts) -

Huh...

#9 Posted by HappyCheeze (89 posts) -

Woah!

#10 Posted by HalfDane1975 (164 posts) -

I hope he'll show up in podcasts and stuff like that.

#11 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

Oh shit.

#12 Posted by TheYear20XX (425 posts) -

And I was so looking forward to the final chapter in the Jazz Jackrabbit trilogy.

#13 Posted by Mason_M (11 posts) -

I didn't see that one coming. Although maybe he'll go on the David Jaffe track and get back to making games like Jack Jazzrabbit.

#14 Posted by leejunfan83 (951 posts) -

The series is overrated anyway he wants to create new games not stale rehashes

#15 Posted by wrecks (2216 posts) -

Holy Shit!

#16 Posted by gerp (192 posts) -

Man didn't see this coming

#17 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2141 posts) -

Shit be cray.

#18 Posted by bloodsoul5 (191 posts) -

booooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11719 posts) -

o_o so what's happening with Fortnite.

Also, Jazz Jackrabbit is awesome...

#20 Posted by DeF (4810 posts) -

This is kinda like a big deal!

#21 Posted by Darkness2386 (27 posts) -

Wow

#22 Posted by TurboMan (7421 posts) -

If he starts working on Playstation All-Star Battle Royale as well, then I'm through.

#23 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

Good luck to him. I'm definitely surprised.

#24 Posted by Branwulf (398 posts) -

I guess i'm not the only one who isn't upset, this can only be a good thing really.

#25 Posted by gelatinabomination (184 posts) -

That sucks. I wish him luck whatever he does next. My prediction: He joins into the beer show one of the bioware doctors is making. Can't remember which one it is.

#26 Posted by MURDERSMASH (250 posts) -

Jazz Jackrabbit, with Dean Dodrill doing the art. GO.

#27 Posted by Chris2KLee (2331 posts) -

Think this might be a great move for him, looking forward to seeing what he does next.

#28 Posted by Plipster (132 posts) -

Well, I didn't see this one coming.

#29 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

"One of the masterminds behind Gears of War is finally leaving the nest."

That sentence sounds like Patrick was hoping for him to leave?

#30 Posted by Lukeweizer (2614 posts) -

MY WORLD HAS BEEN TURNED UPSIDE DOWN!

#31 Posted by chrishardyblue (7 posts) -

Wow, didn't expect this one

#32 Posted by Gnorbooth (282 posts) -

DUDEHUGE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This means that the Bioware Doctors and Dudehuge can make games together right!? Cause I'll buy that at a high price!

#33 Posted by WJist (313 posts) -

As the 8-4 guys would say, this is Megaton!

#34 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

wow everyone seems to be laving Epic this year. wonder what up

#35 Posted by therealminime (233 posts) -

First the Bioware Doctor's and now CliffyB. Oh god what is happening?! In all seriousness though, he has been insanely busy for a very long time and a break is certainly not a bad thing. It's going to be strange not seeing him so enthusiastically talking about Gears and the Unreal Engine.

#36 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1234 posts) -

That is bananas! Best of luck to Cliff with whatever he does next!

#37 Posted by kennybaese (658 posts) -

Between Cliffy B leaving Epic and the Doctors leaving Bioware, it'll be interesting to see what the big names next gen look like.

#38 Posted by Cheesebob (1232 posts) -

NOT CLIFFY B!!!!

#39 Posted by MikkaQ (10269 posts) -

Well that's unexpected.

#40 Posted by Quarters (1633 posts) -

Whoa...seriously. Never expected this. Man, best of luck to him in what he does next. Always loved Bleszinski.

#41 Posted by lightsoda (540 posts) -

Well, I guess it's time for the new generation to step in. Even if it's sad.

And we all know where this leads, because you've all been playing CoD, this is why we get things like RE6. Good thing for epic though, I guess.

/slightly sarcastic

#42 Posted by Wiseblood (636 posts) -

Godspeed you beautiful bastard.

#43 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

He's going to lead Kojima Production's LA studio.

#44 Posted by Ares42 (2590 posts) -

What?! ... did not see that one coming. But hey, I guess there's something to be said for quitting while you're ahead. Not to say Epic is gonna suck from now on, but it's gonna be hard for them to top the immense success this console generation has been for them.

#45 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

It's about time! Now the man can finally make that Jazz Jackrabbit reboot they kept refusing to greenlight!

#46 Posted by drew327 (561 posts) -

Let me guess, going to start his own company to make the 'infinity blade killer'

#47 Posted by Crushed (884 posts) -
#48 Posted by Mikular (161 posts) -

Wow. Fair enough, the man did good work, deserves a break.

#49 Posted by graboids (208 posts) -

Wow. guess this generation has lasted so long that not only are people getting franchise fatigue... they are getting working on franchise fatigue.

#50 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I did not know Jazz Jackrabbit was from Unreal... The more you know...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.