Cliff Bleszinski Leaving Epic Games

#51 Posted by iamkevinch (19 posts) -

Good luck, Cliff!

Chill out for a couple of years and eventually come back.

Legend!

#52 Posted by Begilerath (175 posts) -

20 years! that's a looong time to be working in the same place...also, How old is this dude? Was he working at Epic since he was 15 or something?

#53 Posted by Needle (64 posts) -

Big designer, bigger personality. Now that he's out of Epic, I can't wait to hear what he's got to say without the chains of a PR spokesperson holding him to the wall.

Of course there's the chance he just retires with the Bioware doctors and brews beer till the end of his days...

#54 Posted by Scratch (628 posts) -

This came out of nowhere. Interested in seeing what's next for him.

#55 Posted by mikey87144 (1741 posts) -

That's a loss for Epic. Wish him luck in whatever his next venture is.

#56 Posted by JoeyRavn (4970 posts) -

I never got the chance to tell him that I loved him. And now he's gone forever.

Godspeed, Cliff.

#57 Posted by Springfart (316 posts) -

what is this i don't even

#58 Posted by BlueWolverine (97 posts) -

Good. Hopefully he makes better games.

#59 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

Good for him. He probably needs a break.

#60 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

So long, guy who was part of the inspiration for multiple classic Something Awful characters such as Cliff Yablonsky and JeffK.

#61 Posted by Alphazero (1536 posts) -

Stolen from The Twitters.

#62 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Whatever you think about Cliff he was certainly interesting. Best wishes to him.

#63 Posted by triviaman09 (801 posts) -

Wow, didn't see this one coming. I guess he had been in the spotlight a lot less recently.

Godspeed, Young Clifford.

#64 Posted by Klaimore (947 posts) -

So what does this mean for Fortnite?

#65 Posted by Brandino (249 posts) -

@Cyrisaurus said:

He's going to lead Kojima Production's LA studio.

I pray he doesn't.

Honestly i never saw the appeal in his games, especially the cliche ridden overrated space dude bro series.

#66 Edited by Ghostiet (5252 posts) -

Shame. What does that mean for Fortnite? And for Jazz Jackrabbit? : (

#67 Edited by austinmiller (106 posts) -

You know I bet he's going to open his own studio. I think he has someone like Ryan Payton, who founded his own studio and went to kickstarter, and made the game that he wanted. I think he wants that challenge of starting from nothing.

#68 Posted by Humanity (9076 posts) -

To me Epic WAS Cliffy B. I assumed he was a lead on everything Gears related.

#69 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

File that one under "things I never expected to happen, ever."

#70 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

He's going back to SA forums to post on GBS.

#71 Posted by TigerClaw (76 posts) -

I wouldve loved to see Unreal 3 get made someday, But it just won't be the same without him.

#72 Posted by Terrellism (41 posts) -

Good luck cliffy b.... also...good luck Epic...because you are no longer as interesting. ;)

#73 Posted by Suits (245 posts) -

First Bioware, now Epic, who's next.

#74 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

@Taku128 said:

Who cares

Well, me, for example. Been a fan of the company since Jazz Jackrabbit, even more when Unreal and later UT came out. I didn't know he was behind all of this at the time. I did when I played Gears, though.

I really like and appreciate the guy and I think it's sad to see him leave the game dev business.

#75 Posted by Trav (241 posts) -

@Alphazero said:

Blackopozicky will be missed rest in peast

#76 Posted by Meepasaurus (213 posts) -

Thank you for Jazz Jackrabbit. What a cool dude.

#77 Posted by yoshisaur (2708 posts) -

Oh wow, didn't see that one coming! Best of luck to you, Cliff. You may have had your foot in your mouth lately, but you did some wonderful things to this industry. Keep strong and I can't wait to see what you do when you return!

#78 Edited by Pixeldemon (244 posts) -

Not sure if this actually matters at all. I'm guessing probably not. Not meaning any disrespect, but "design director" sounds like more of cheerleader position, as opposed to someone who actually builds games.

Now if you told me the entire art team at Epic was retiring, that would be different.

#79 Edited by Trusty_Spoon (81 posts) -

cant believe he's moved on, see ya Cliffy B you will be missed by all who enjoyed your work at Epic

#80 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

So what do we think the first release from his new mobile game studio will look like?

#81 Edited by Bistromath (605 posts) -

If Cliffy B starts making small indie games...will that mean there's two Indie Cliffy B's?

What will Brad Muir do to defend his title?

#82 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

WOW didn't see that one comin! I seriously wonder what's next.

Gears of War is a fuckin GREAT GREAT SERIES!

@Alphazero said:

Would be funnier if the photo was Geoff Keighley.

#83 Posted by believer258 (11820 posts) -

Didn't see that one coming.

#84 Posted by kwang2000 (51 posts) -

Between this and Bioware, it seems quite a few veterans are "taking a break" from the industry nowadays

#85 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

Nintendo.

#86 Posted by kwang2000 (51 posts) -

@Pixeldemon said:

Not sure if this actually matters at all. I'm guessing probably not. Not meaning any disrespect, but "design director" sounds like more of cheerleader position, as opposed to someone who actually builds games.

Now if you told me the entire art team at Epic was retiring, that would be different.

Well it matters as much as it would if a film director left a film franchise, as opposed to the actual actors. Which is to say it may or may not matter depending on the franchise.

#87 Posted by MikeFightNight (1109 posts) -

The game industry burns out another, savage! But 20 years is a long time, but if you love what you're doing you usually stick with it.

#88 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Was it because of the Fortnight design document he left in the hall after his PAX Prime panel? Hmm...

#89 Posted by cooljammer00 (1658 posts) -

The way this story is being reported on, it sounds like he's leaving games? But that can't be right, can it?

#90 Posted by ILikePopCans (749 posts) -

I really was not surprise by this one. Don't know why.

#91 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Not expecting this & wondering what he'll do next. Hopefully it won't be going to Ubisoft or Gameloft & starting up a game franchise called 'Gearz of the Warz' or something like that.

#92 Posted by Eaxis (913 posts) -

Well, that came out of nowhere.

#93 Posted by Theavy (78 posts) -

this is quite a trend, i think its safe to say almost all creative directors/what have you will leave their nest eventually

#94 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Jazz Jackrabbit man, what a game. 

#95 Posted by divakchopra (86 posts) -

come on Cliffy, join Square Enix

#96 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1257 posts) -

He consistently seemed to be a pretty great guy and I always enjoyed his appearances in gaming coverage. Even if I just came in with Unreal and UT and never got that much into Gears. It'll be interesting to see what he might do next. I hope Epic keeps doing good work even without him on board.

#97 Posted by CornBREDX (5127 posts) -

Does this mean they'll re-release all their classics? 

No? Oh well, a guy can dream.

#98 Posted by GunsAreDrawn (319 posts) -

Maybe he'll be involved in some good quality products, because Gears 3 was ass.

#99 Posted by KaneRobot (1556 posts) -

Cliff gets his Super Mario Bros. score published in the first issue of Nintendo Power and later becomes the face of Epic.

Nintendo Power shuts down. Cliff leaves Epic.

The end.

#100 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3231 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.