Cliff Bleszinski Leaving Epic Games

#101 Edited by matti00 (668 posts) -

While I'm aware that this is a big deal, as someone who hasn't played an Epic Games game since UT2004, this really doesn't factor into my day at all.

#102 Posted by Sil3n7 (1188 posts) -

ANYA.

#103 Posted by FlyBikes06 (86 posts) -

ah come on young clifford!

#104 Posted by hi_im_rob (201 posts) -

So they lost Rod Ferguson to Irrational and now Cliffy is leaving to pursue other interests as well?

I hope Epic has some good young prospects in their system because those are two massive holes to fill.

#105 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

That sucks. He's always seemed like a pretty genuine guy.

#106 Posted by toadstule (280 posts) -

Best of luck to Cliff in his future endeavors.

#107 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3208 posts) -

Maybe from the looks of it Capcom can hire him and make Resident Evil even more Gears or vise versa. Actually after watching Brad's quick look not sure what to think anymore. Agggggh! I'm gonna just play Asura's Wrath.

#108 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

The same year Nintendo Power dies, spooky. I still remember all those Nintendo Power features he was in.

#109 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

That's super weird. I just met him for the first time....weird.

#110 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1052 posts) -

Is this some how EA fault too?

#111 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Love his work and wish him well. I'll be very interested to see where he goes from here.

#112 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

meh not that big of a deal.

i dont understand why dudes are always being tied to one studio. it would be cool if the best game designers were treated like movie directors.

#113 Posted by ninjalegend (428 posts) -

@kwang2000 said:

Between this and Bioware, it seems quite a few veterans are "taking a break" from the industry nowadays

Yes, it kind of does. I hope other industry luminaries like Ken Levine, Warren Specter, Sid Meier (and his right hand man Jake), Keiji Inafune, and others stick around a while to teach the videogame world there is more to game design than brown millitary shooters for AAA games, or 2d pixel art platformers for indi games.

#114 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -

What about the new Gears game? I don't really care about the series, I'm just curious about what will happen now with that one.

#115 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1728 posts) -

Wow, this is kind of sad. I wish him the best of luck, though.

#116 Posted by Cobra_Kai (20 posts) -

Cliff who?(have is that for a big deal)

..I`m sorry I just really hate the gears games

#117 Posted by DukesT3 (1910 posts) -

Don't really like the guy but good for him.

#118 Posted by Jedted (2346 posts) -

First the Bioware Doctors now Cliffy B, wonder what this says about the video game industry as a whole.

#119 Posted by CTS_1987 (30 posts) -

GODDAMN SON A BITCH!

#120 Posted by hupla (12 posts) -

megaton

#121 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

HOLY FUCK

First Rod Fergusson, now him?

#122 Posted by MormonWarrior (2577 posts) -

@KaneRobot said:

Cliff gets his Super Mario Bros. score published in the first issue of Nintendo Power and later becomes the face of Epic.

Nintendo Power shuts down. Cliff leaves Epic.

The end.

FOLLOW THE MONEY

#123 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2690 posts) -

Hey, good for him knowing when it time to take a sabbatical and reassess...he should see if Greg Zeschuk needs help making some beer. Too many people in this high pressure industry stay in at all costs, there is more to life then making games. Play with the kids, take the wife to France, or build a scale model of Devil's Tower in your basement made from Silly-putty.

#124 Posted by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

That's unexpected!

He's certainly earned it, and I'm excited to see what he does next.

#125 Posted by Jon93 (156 posts) -
#126 Posted by wchue (71 posts) -

he does not need your luck he has your money.

#127 Posted by Hailinel (24421 posts) -
@TwoOneFive

meh not that big of a deal.

i dont understand why dudes are always being tied to one studio. it would be cool if the best game designers were treated like movie directors.

He's been with Epic his entire career and was one of the longest tenured, most respected people in the company. Of course his departure is a big deal.
#128 Posted by SuperSambo (2860 posts) -

@Pixeldemon said:

Not sure if this actually matters at all. I'm guessing probably not. Not meaning any disrespect, but "design director" sounds like more of cheerleader position, as opposed to someone who actually builds games.

Now if you told me the entire art team at Epic was retiring, that would be different.

I seriously do not think that I have ever read a more ignorant statement than this...

#129 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

so many video game changes in the video game world

#130 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

Duuuuude. Bro. No, just no. Duuuuuude.

#131 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

So now there's literally NO CHANCE AT ALL for Bulletstorm 2...since he seemed to be a huge spearhead for that project. = (

#132 Posted by vexidus (123 posts) -

Wow...!! Pretty big news. I hope Cliffy finds what he is looking for.

#133 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I've only played Jazz Jackrabbit with my cousin when I was like 6. He went to sleep and I stayed up all night playing the game....good times. Anyway after 20 years that Pole (I think) deserves a rest, the best of luck with whatever venture he starts.

#134 Posted by gregoryc (153 posts) -

Holy shit. First the BioWare doctors and now Cliffy B? Seems weird to have this happen in the span of a few weeks :(

#135 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

@Jedted said:

First the Bioware Doctors now Cliffy B, wonder what this says about the video game industry as a whole.

True. Sounds like you just get beat down with the crazy hours and pressure they expect of developers.

#136 Posted by PimblyCharles (1377 posts) -

I think the guy deserves a well earned break

#137 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

@MormonWarrior said:

@KaneRobot said:

Cliff gets his Super Mario Bros. score published in the first issue of Nintendo Power and later becomes the face of Epic.

Nintendo Power shuts down. Cliff leaves Epic.

The end.

FOLLOW THE MONEY

Haha. It really is the end.

#138 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

Man, there are going to be a lot of big shoes to fill, going into the next console generation. I wonder how many new, prominent designers there will be in a few years.

#139 Posted by bluefoxxy (167 posts) -

It's funny because you called him a mastermind

#140 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

He was getting to much money SOMETHING HAD TO BE DONE

#141 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2104 posts) -

Wow. That is unexpected. I am sure he has more than enough money to just retire or go venture out on his own projects... I just wonder what they are going to be?!?

#142 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

This is Epic news!

#143 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

OK, well that was unexpected and a bit terrifying.

#144 Posted by Xbox420 (125 posts) -

Unbelievable

I don't want to live on this planet anymore :(

#145 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

everyone needs a break every now and again, and i'm not just talking about taking a vacation.

#146 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

OHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYY

#147 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

Wow, this was very unexpected. I can understand why after all that hard work he wants a break though, I hope whatever he goes on to do, it'll be something great.

#148 Posted by Hurricrane (129 posts) -

CUUUUUHHRAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZIIIIEEEEEEEE

Seriously, who is MS gonna cart out to talk up their games now?

#149 Posted by Catarrhal (826 posts) -

Epic Games without Cliff Bleszinski would be like Aerosmith without Steven Tyler.

Marcus Fenix is a man of many colors, but Cliff is the rainbow.

#150 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I see words..and they have meaning..but yet they do not make sense...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.