Cliff Blezinski explains the bald Space Marine phenomenon.

#1 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I was doing some research and sketching in the library for a project and was referencing images and like to jot some ideas down, and I ended up stumbling upon a videogame story (I wasn't looking for anything related to them. I think the word, "phenomenon" set it off), and I had a good ol' laugh at why we see so many fucking armored, bald Space Marines this generation, as explained by Mr. Clifford Blezinski:

“ I just think that the technology of this generation just happens to be very good at rendering metals and stones and dramatic lighting, which is why you see a lot of pillars and girders and destroyed, blown-out areas because that’s what the bump-mapping happens to do very well.

At the same time, in this generation the translucent effects are very hard to pull off. That’s why everybody sees a lot of these bald characters and wonder why games feature so many fucking space marines. Well, the tech is good at showing off armour and it’s not that good at doing hair. That’s why we have bald space marines. There’s your answer people. "

(This story isn't new, but it's a funny little tidbit: Source.)
#2 Posted by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -

I thought everyone just copied Warhammer 40k. The grandfather of both.

#3 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@CaptainObvious said:
" I thought everyone just copied Warhammer 40k. The grandfather of both. "
Well, technically space marines date back to Aliens.
#4 Posted by Lukaz (181 posts) -

Gaming hair SUCKS!!!... minus a few decent exceptions.

#5 Posted by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
Well, technically space marines date back to Aliens. "  
Yeah I guess. On a side note, I wonder why nobody copied sadistic, bloodthirsty and perverted Chaos Space Marines.
#6 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Lukaz said:
" Gaming hair SUCKS!!!... minus a few decent exceptions. "
Bullshit. Crazy hair is the foundation for the cast of Tekken.
#7 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I was talking to someone in game development a while back and he said that one of the reasons you see a lot of space marines with big armor is because it's really hard to make realistic looking shoulder movements. When you move your arms in real life your shoulder moves a bit too and the movement just looks a bit off if a game character's shoulders don't move properly. Sure you can make it work, but a shortcut is to just put big bulky armor and shoulder pads on your guy.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, we can't render hair or translucency? What the hell is this, the Saturn? My guess is that everybody's copying the one game that became successful, only not at all. You know, like how Super Mario Bros set off mascot-based platformers, even before Sonic.

#9 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: I think most developers are copying most of the technology from games such as Gears Of War, which is why you see a lot of hazy gray environments and bulky dudes.
#10 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, we can't render hair or translucency? What the hell is this, the Saturn? My guess is that everybody's copying the one game that became successful, only not at all. You know, like how Super Mario Bros set off mascot-based platformers, even before Sonic. "
Name one game that renders hair or translucency well. You can't. There aren't any. 

Well, except Bayonetta, but that doesn't count.
#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Icemael: 

That's my point: why the hell can't they? FF13 does it quite well, showing the most advanced beard stubble technology in any game ever, so why can't other games follow suit?
#12 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Icemael: Stiff hair can usually be done, but a lot of hair in games, since forever, has looked really bad.
#13 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -
@Icemael:  Final Fantasy XIII has the best rendered afro I've ever seen.
#14 Posted by Conker (779 posts) -
@Video_Game_King:
Because FF13 took like, 10 years to make.
#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Conker said:
" @Video_Game_King: Because FF13 took like, 10 years to make. "
Lmao.
#16 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -
@Conker said:
They spent all their money on the FMVs and the afro. 
#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Conker said:
Only because of platform/engine shifts and stuff like that.
#18 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Yeah unless you're going for a cartoon art style, it's probably best to give the main character a buzz cut. 

#19 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

SpeedHair Rendering. Coming Soon. You heard it here first. 

Imagine: Dragon Hair.

#20 Posted by Count_Zero (301 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
Well, if you want to get really nitpicky, they date back to Starship Troopers (the novel).
#21 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

He is speaking for himself and his engine. Lots of games has good hair from other engines, it's just the unreal 3 does everything like he mentions.

#22 Edited by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

Uncharted 2 had good hair. Some weird eyes, but good hair.

#23 Posted by Jazz (2256 posts) -
@Count_Zero:  
I'd agree with that... 
however, the modern take on Space Marines comes from 40k, as in the design...Big Burly Dudes in Ginormous Armour (note capitals) is a long way from the Vietnam rejects of Aliens and the wimpy atmosphere suits of Starship Troopers. Starcraft just popularised it. 40k was 1987.
They've done the Space Marine..time to do the Primarch (Love the fact Vinny says Prime-Arch instead of Pry-Mark)
#24 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@CaptainObvious said:
" @Whisperkill said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
Yeah I guess. On a side note, I wonder why nobody copied sadistic, bloodthirsty and perverted Chaos Space Marines. "
God that would be amazing.
#25 Posted by TorgoGrooves89 (346 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
"SpeedHair Rendering. Coming Soon. You heard it here first.   Imagine: Dragon Hair. "

Nice. This made me laugh.
#26 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

The hair in Heavy Rain looks really good...

But I'm betting that tech isn't feasible for a crazy action game with lots going on.

#27 Edited by Laharl (350 posts) -

This story make anyone else think of that SNL sketch with Norm Mcdonald as the sketch artist that drew terroists? Ah back when that show was good.

#28 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -

Seems like a mix of both.

#29 Posted by LiquidPrince (15912 posts) -

I dunno man, Nathan Drake has some snazzy hair.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.