Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Clint Hocking

Person » credited in 6 games

Former Creative Director at LucasArts and Ubisoft Montreal.

Clint Hocking Has Left LucasArts

• 53 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

When Star Wars 1313 was announced just prior to E3, I’d been crossing my fingers Far Cry 2 designer Clint Hocking’s name would be attached to it. That never happened, and now Hocking’s revealed he’s no longer with LucasArts.

“I recently left my job at LucasArts and am moving on to something new,” he revealed on his blog. “Unlike last time, (and mercifully less wordy) I already have something lined up and I am currently in the process of dealing with the living hell of relocation.”

It’s never been clear what Hocking was working on at LucasArts. The systems-loving designer seemed an odd fit for LucasArts in the first place, but hopefully it won’t be long until we hear from him.

“I will let the world know where I am going once I get there,” he said. “Unless you already know.”

Someone want to tell me?

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

When Star Wars 1313 was announced just prior to E3, I’d been crossing my fingers Far Cry 2 designer Clint Hocking’s name would be attached to it. That never happened, and now Hocking’s revealed he’s no longer with LucasArts.

“I recently left my job at LucasArts and am moving on to something new,” he revealed on his blog. “Unlike last time, (and mercifully less wordy) I already have something lined up and I am currently in the process of dealing with the living hell of relocation.”

It’s never been clear what Hocking was working on at LucasArts. The systems-loving designer seemed an odd fit for LucasArts in the first place, but hopefully it won’t be long until we hear from him.

“I will let the world know where I am going once I get there,” he said. “Unless you already know.”

Someone want to tell me?

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Gabriel

I'm thinking Battlefront 3 is never coming out.

nopr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nopr

This could be interesting, more specifically who ends up being part of 1313 as I'd had my eye on Hocking too.

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Zaapp1

I bet he lights the new place on fire just to watch it burn.

Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MC_Hify

Too bad, I wanted to kill a zebra with a lightsabre.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By patrickklepek

@runcrash said:

Too bad, I wanted to kill a zebra with a lightsabre.

Okay, you win.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

The fuck? All of the disappointment :(

Unless he was put to work on SW Uncharted and couldn't stomach it any longer, in which case good for him.

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By radioactivez0r

I don't know if I'm that ignorant about the wheelers and dealers of the industry, but am I the only person who never heard of this guy before today?

DigitalRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DigitalRichard

All of a sudden, I want to play Far Cry 2 again.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mbr2

Oh shit. Kind of lost some excitement for 1313 now.

bloodsoul5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bloodsoul5

I recently rented far cry 2 from gamefly after not having played the game since it came out on pc. That game is a truly terrible game.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mbr2

@bloodsoul5 said:

I recently rented far cry 2 from gamefly after not having played the game since it came out on pc. That game is a truly terrible game.

WOAH OPINIONS

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

@bloodsoul5 said:

The problem with FC2 comes from trying to play it the way the game tells you to play it. If you want to get a handle on why some people absolutely love this game, recommended listening is the entire goddamn Idle Thumbs archive.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jmfinamore

@bloodsoul5 said:

I bought it on Steam a few weeks ago for like $2 and I'm actually really enjoying it. There are some really egregious design problems with it, but once you get used to the systems and learn to travel the world quickly, it's alot of fun I think. I just really enjoy the environments and travelling through them, I guess.

birdnoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By birdnoise

Far Cry 2 is a great game

Dezinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Dezinus

He's going to work with Fullbright Games?? Scandalous!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
    @HarlequinRiot Any tips for avoiding the constant checkpoints? That is killing that game for me.

Be interested to see what he does I assumed he was part of the 1313 team.
    Danda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Danda

They only had to patch out the respawning checkpoints to salvage the game, but no... Now the memory of Far Cry 2 is tainted for too many people.

Hocking is a great designer, really ambitious, but sometimes he makes weird choices. Like, what is a creative guy doing in a place when you can only aspire to make Star Wars games... or Star Wars games?

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jmfinamore

@TheSouthernDandy: Just use buses and boats as much as possible. Try to stay of the roads as much as possible too, since that way you won't have to deal with random encounters. I also dropped the game down to easy for a while and found that just being able to run through checkpoints made things go a bit quicker. It's still annoying though, no idea why they made enemies respawn so quickly.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By JCTango

@patrickklepek said:

No Caption Provided

Someone want to tell me?

I'd tell you, but he promised me he'd kill me if I told anyone.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mbr2

@Danda said:

They only had to patch out the respawning checkpoints to salvage the game, but no... Now the memory of Far Cry 2 is tainted for too many people.

Hocking is a great designer, really ambitious, but sometimes he makes weird choices. Like, what is a creative guy doing in a place when you can only aspire to make Star Wars games... or Star Wars games?

Why would they do that? At some point you'd just be driving around in a dead world. A lot of people seem to forget but FC2 was a shooter so I the complaint that you constantly come across people who shoot you is a bit odd. If so Doom must be the worst game ever made to use the same logic.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By super_machine

@mbr2 said:

@Danda said:

Why would they do that? At some point you'd just be driving around in a dead world. A lot of people seem to forget but FC2 was a shooter so I the complaint that you constantly come across people who shoot you is a bit odd. If so Doom must be the worst game ever made to use the same logic.

For as much as I hated the checkpoints, I agree. The one thing I would tweak (aside from the poor sneaking/enemy xray vision) would be to add a friendly faction checkpoint system. Like when you gain a friendly AI character, you could pay them to secure checkpoints in a certain area. Complete with their own mercs. But if you don't keep paying them they eventually give up...etc

Saganomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Saganomics

@Dezinus said:

He's going to work with Fullbright Games?? Scandalous!

That would be incredible. Clint Hocking and Hot Scoops, BFFs.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wardcleaver

@mbr2 said:

@Danda said:

Not that FC2 didn't have its problems, but I also never understood the complaint about the re-spawing checkpoints.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fallen189

@Saganomics: Emergent mechanics up the wazoo

Brillohead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brillohead

Maybe go work with steve gaynor ( with input from chris/jake/sean) and make the ultimate thumbs dream dream goldgame.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vodun

@wardcleaver said:

@mbr2 said:

@Danda said:

Not that FC2 didn't have its problems, but I also never understood the complaint about the re-spawing checkpoints.

Oh I don't know, maybe it was because it forced you to travel through those locations repeatedly so basically you had to fight the same fight in the same location over and over again. They were simply an annoying hurdle and didn't add anything to the experience but frustration.

Add to this, the fact that you could pretty much drive through a checkpoint and kill them all. Return less than a minute later and they were there again....yeah, why would anyone complain about such an enjoyable repetition of joy and mirth.

TheRevanchist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheRevanchist

Though I hate to see anyone with love and talent leave LA, the move is much better for him. The turnover and lack of quality in-house games at LA is a good indication that this environment is not one where creativity and innovation is at the forefront of your career.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
    @mbr2

@Danda said:

The problem isn't people shooting at you though. You have to travel pretty far to get from one mission to the next so driving is a necessity. That makes it so every time you travel somewhere at every checkpoint you either disembark, shoot the place up, repair vehicle and move on or you jump into the vehicle turret, ice everyone, jump out, repair, move on.
    Over and over and over. You're not traveling on foot through a mission you're on your way to the mission. It quickly becomes tedious. That's cool if you enjoyed that but I found the repetition killed any desire I had to play that game.
    r3dt1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By r3dt1d3

It's truly sad that the way the majority of players played is the worst part of the game and the sandbox is overlooked. Far Cry 2 is a terrible game IF you only did the story bits back to back and never just explored. I have a save towards the end that has everything unlocked/upgraded and every tape found. I load it up from time to time and just pick my weapons and go explore a random direction and just have fun. It's really the only first person shooter that lets you do that on such a big scale with so many weapons to use.

I probably won't even play Far Cry 3 if it doesn't let me ignore the story completely and play however I want with everything unlocked.

GunsAreDrawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GunsAreDrawn

Fuck that guy, he was basically PR dude for Farcry 2 and it turned out crap. Wish I never bought it, cause I damn sure didn't finish it.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By connerthekewlkid

i dont really see what the big deal is.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Deusx

@GunsAreDrawn said:

Fuck that guy, he was basically PR dude for Farcry 2 and it turned out crap. Wish I never bought it, cause I damn sure didn't finish it.

Well, many others like myself LOVE farcry 2. So yeah, OPINIONS.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bybeach

First of all, whoever this guy is(and he seems to be somebody) I wishes him well.

Far Cry 2, I liked it. It had real elements of greatness as well as a few designed in problems. I used bus a lot for quick travel, and occasionally enjoyed the long boat ride, especially in the beginning. I dropped the game around 1/2 way though when I got bored driving around far southern end of the map for some reason...

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo
    @TheSouthernDandy said:
    @HarlequinRiot Any tips for avoiding the constant checkpoints? That is killing that game for me.
    Travel by boat as much as possible. I think the second map might allow that more than the first though, as I recall.

Also just try not to be in such a rush to get places if you can get yourself out of that mindset. It's a gorgeous looking game - enjoy the travelling.
    AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By AssInAss

Um people judging him from Far Cry 2 (and in his defense, it does systems interactions really well like the fire propagation and allowing emergent gameplay), you guys, he designed this game:

No Caption Provided

And his talks about "player agency" are absolutely worth knowing about. Disappointed with action games being too cinematic and taking away player control, and not reacting to you? He talks about how to do reactions to your actions in games.

Wherever he lands, I hope he gets to once again toy with systems. Maybe work on the next Deus Ex or Thief?!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#38  Edited By fisk0

@HarlequinRiot said:

@TheSouthernDandy: Just use buses and boats as much as possible. Try to stay of the roads as much as possible too, since that way you won't have to deal with random encounters. I also dropped the game down to easy for a while and found that just being able to run through checkpoints made things go a bit quicker. It's still annoying though, no idea why they made enemies respawn so quickly.

Yeah, had they made them respawn once every in game day, rather than every time it went out of your cone of vision, I would've liked it a lot more. Recently picked it up again and warmed up a bit on it though, issues aside it's a very fascinating game, and kinda doing what Spec Ops: The Line tries to do.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

So what was he actually working on at LucasArts?

snaptroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By snaptroll

Cool. I hope he finds a job with a good developer this time.

Saganomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Saganomics

@R3DT1D3 said:

It's truly sad that the way the majority of players played is the worst part of the game and the sandbox is overlooked. Far Cry 2 is a terrible game IF you only did the story bits back to back and never just explored. I have a save towards the end that has everything unlocked/upgraded and every tape found. I load it up from time to time and just pick my weapons and go explore a random direction and just have fun. It's really the only first person shooter that lets you do that on such a big scale with so many weapons to use.

I probably won't even play Far Cry 3 if it doesn't let me ignore the story completely and play however I want with everything unlocked.

Totally. Far Cry 2 is very much like the Elder Scrolls games in that regard; it's infinitely more entertaining to explore the world and deal with emergent scenarios as they arise than it is to burn through the mediocre Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now main quest. It really is the sort of game that demands serious player investment before it gives you anything in return. That sort of game obviously isn't for everyone, and that's cool, but it disheartens me to see so many people dismiss it as another shithouse shooter.

Also, the more that gets revealed about Far Cry 3 the less enthusiastic I become. I wish C-Hock was still at Ubisoft. :(

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BlackLagoon

@connerthekewlkid said:

i dont really see what the big deal is.

To me at least, hiring respected dev with good titles on his resume was LucasArts trying to rebuild themselves creatively after doing a poor job with their two main franchises (Star Wars, Indiana Jones) lately, and him leaving before showing any results doesn't exactly bode well for the studio.

Roly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Roly

I'm glad he's not working on Star Wars 1313, it seems like there isn't that much room for creativity on the Star Wars license. Hopefully he's off to work on a new interesting IP, will keep an eye on where he goes for sure.

bd_monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bd_monkey
    @Deusx Yes everyone has them
    katelyngadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By katelyngadd

Hocking had a title in early pre-production at LucasArts for a while (not 1313) that sounded like maybe it had a dozen people on it? When I spoke with them they definitely emphasized it being off in the future, but it was a real thing. It sounded like it was trying to emphasize the stuff people liked about Far Cry 2.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wardcleaver

@Vodun said:

@wardcleaver said:

@mbr2 said:

@Danda said:

Oh I don't know, maybe it was because it forced you to travel through those locations repeatedly so basically you had to fight the same fight in the same location over and over again. They were simply an annoying hurdle and didn't add anything to the experience but frustration.

Add to this, the fact that you could pretty much drive through a checkpoint and kill them all. Return less than a minute later and they were there again....yeah, why would anyone complain about such an enjoyable repetition of joy and mirth.

I don't know. I like shooting dudes in my shooters.

As was previously mentioned you could avoid most of those checkpoints through fast travel.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Vodun

@wardcleaver: I also like solving puzzles in my adventure games, but if I'm forced to solve the exact same puzzle over and over again then I'm calling it a shit adventure game which pads its lacking content to make it look bigger than it actually is.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I wish him a future that does not consist of microtransactions on the iPhone.

That's usually Chapter 2 in the story of any notable developer becoming unemployed, and that's often when you stop hearing about them ever again.

Boopie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Boopie

Wow so many emotions and thought's swept over me when I read this news. It's hard to know where to start. I guess, like a lot of people I had hoped he would be at LucasArts forever and make the Boba Fett game the fanboys have been dreaming of for years. Now he's gone and the world is a bit dimmer.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sploder

I'm guessing the only dynamic fire I'll be getting in the Star Wars universe is if I buy some copies of the prequels and light them on fire myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.