Why so revered?

#1 Posted by dillonator (145 posts) -

I personally find very little in the likable qualities area, but Cloud also foregos anti-heroism based on his completely androgynous personality.

Now I know anime culture is big into these qualities, but come on.  Cloud's story is as two dimensional as a Mega Man 2 sprite and the story he plays a major role in has plot holes you could drive Death Stars through.  So why, ten years later, are people clamoring for the guy with the obnoxiously long sword and the lie of a personality?

#2 Posted by Feanor (1386 posts) -

To each his own I guess.  I liked Cloud, but he is not my favorite FF character.  But what I do like about him is how he transforms from an asshole mercenary who does not care about anything, into someone who is about to sacrifice himself for the planet.  I also like how you found out who Cloud was at the same time Cloud himself was.  And I like him because we have the same birthday.

#3 Edited by Enhasa (13 posts) -
dillonator said:

dillonator said:
"but Cloud also foregos anti-heroism based on his completely androgynous personality."




How the heck is his personality completely androgynous?  He strikes me as much more typically male than female -- his attempts at remaining stoic, his occasional gruff insensitivity to the feelings of others, his tendency toward insularity, et cetera.   I mean, he may have cultivated feminine qualities by the end of the game, but his personality is at no point even close to -completely- androgynous IMO. 
#4 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1062 posts) -

[confusion] ReTarDedFisHy doesn't really know why he even likes Cloud. But he does, and it's all that matters to him. FisHy knows there aren't many likeable characteristics of Cloud, but there are some things that make you... like him. Lots of fishes, including ReTarDedFisHy, think that his sword is just badass. He also likes it how Cloud totally changed his personality, from being a cold, selfish merc, to a fighter with a shared vision. You can also feel for him while playing the game, knowing that Cloud was a puppet with another one's mind. I know that you know that ReTarDedFisHy doesn't really know what he's talking about right now. [/confusion]

#5 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Yeah I always thought he was a bit simplistic too.

Sephiroth ( Or however you spell it ) seems pretty interesting though

#6 Posted by TheStranger (14 posts) -
ReTarDedFisHy said:
"[confusion] ReTarDedFisHy doesn't really know why he even likes Cloud. But he does, and it's all that matters to him. FisHy knows there aren't many likeable characteristics of Cloud, but there are some things that make you... like him. Lots of fishes, including ReTarDedFisHy, think that his sword is just badass. He also likes it how Cloud totally changed his personality, from being a cold, selfish merc, to a fighter with a shared vision. You can also feel for him while playing the game, knowing that Cloud was a puppet with another one's mind. I know that you know that ReTarDedFisHy doesn't really know what he's talking about right now. [/confusion]"

This post wins.

(Agreed on all points...)
#7 Posted by Gupta (33 posts) -
dillonator said:
"I personally find very little in the likable qualities area, but Cloud also foregos anti-heroism based on his completely androgynous personality.

Now I know anime culture is big into these qualities, but come on.  Cloud's story is as two dimensional as a Mega Man 2 sprite and the story he plays a major role in has plot holes you could drive Death Stars through.  So why, ten years later, are people clamoring for the guy with the obnoxiously long sword and the lie of a personality?
"
Well hes the archetypal shakespearan hero with the fatal flaw. His flaw is that he has a fabricated past and is trying to run away from the fact that hes not good enough to join SOLDIER or whatever. I dont think his character is two dimensional as it is that theyve just told very little to avoid contradicting themselves or something.

I disagree that hes androgynous, he does seem to be the typical gruff male with a disfigured past and something to hide. Also Im not sure that people are clamouring for Cloud, more for the whole FFVII experience.

#8 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

I'm just getting into FFVII and He's just strikes me as badass. I Love badass characters.

#9 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

could just be cuz FFVII was the first RPG for alot of people.

#10 Posted by s10129107 (1172 posts) -

Why do people love Donkey Kong or Mario.  Nostalgia about his 'cool factor' i would guess.

#11 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

It was one of the first characters I kind of came attached to plus he just is awesome in general.

#12 Posted by solidphoenix (286 posts) -

He made RPG's acceptable and cool to the general public with Final Fantasy VII.
I also think that he is just an interesting character that most gamers enjoy following in terms of his story and such.

#13 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1033 posts) -

Why is he so revered? Well, probably because he carries around a big fuckin' sword.

#14 Posted by Gupta (33 posts) -
MagusMaleficus said:
"Why is he so revered? Well, probably because he carries around a big fuckin' sword."
Lol. Maybe its some form of masculine symbolism  o_O
#15 Posted by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -

I like him because he was cold and patate in FFVII, not to mention his sword. Although he is a quite a douche in FFVIICC

#16 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -

People like cloud best because he's emo and reflects he qualities of his fans.

#17 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
ReTarDedFisHy said:
"[confusion] ReTarDedFisHy doesn't really know why he even likes Cloud. But he does, and it's all that matters to him. FisHy knows there aren't many likeable characteristics of Cloud, but there are some things that make you... like him. Lots of fishes, including ReTarDedFisHy, think that his sword is just badass. He also likes it how Cloud totally changed his personality, from being a cold, selfish merc, to a fighter with a shared vision. You can also feel for him while playing the game, knowing that Cloud was a puppet with another one's mind. I know that you know that ReTarDedFisHy doesn't really know what he's talking about right now. [/confusion]"

Posts like this are ones that I completely agree with. Honestly, the haters don't know what they're talking about when describing Cloud Strife.
#18 Posted by RPGGUY2500 (17 posts) -

I found that FF7 and FF9 were too much alike.... that being said the only reason I lik cloud is his big sword which looks cool but much like star wars FF7 and Cloud have become cows who are as we speak being milked for all they are worth

#19 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
RPGGUY2500 said:
"I found that FF7 and FF9 were too much alike.... that being said the only reason I lik cloud is his big sword which looks cool but much like star wars FF7 and Cloud have become cows who are as we speak being milked for all they are worth"
What game is cloud milked in?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.