So who's tried Cloudberry?

#1 Posted by csl316 (9414 posts) -

I just downloaded Cloudberry Kingdom and somehow put 3 hours into it. Just completely zoned out.

It's really just a series of challenge levels but it feels great, looks crisp, and the levels are very well put together (even the auto-generated infinite ones outside of the story). The music was not what I expected but it kind of puts you into a trance. First impression was "meh" but I couldn't stop playing.

Patrick put up a Dumptruck with one of the guys and it got me interested, and I'm really glad I checked it out. I love me a good 2D platformer and this one fits the bill.

Anyone else taken a look at it?

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Going to get it Thursday when it hits Wii U. Looks really cool.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Going to get it Thursday when it hits Wii U. Looks really cool.

#4 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1741 posts) -

Yeah, having a good time with it so far. I think the score attack modes are really well done. I can see myself obsessing over my leaderboard position.

#6 Edited by BigJeffrey (5170 posts) -

NOOOOOOPE

#7 Posted by csl316 (9414 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: THAT'S PART OF THE FUN!!!

Anyway, I should point out that this game is 99% about the gameplay. It's got some weird charm with its pun-heavy cutscenes and customization, but afterwards it'll only hold your attention if you like running and jumping repeatedly.

#9 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: Oh my god! Thanks for posting that, I now have no interest whatsoever in playing that game.

#10 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1741 posts) -

@warlordpayne said:

@bigjeffrey: Oh my god! Thanks for posting that, I now have no interest whatsoever in playing that game.

What you're seeing is probably a few hundred levels into one of the endless modes or was created by jacking up all the difficulty sliders in the free play mode. It's like watching someone half an hour into a game of Geometry Wars.

#11 Posted by xrolfx (107 posts) -

I've been playing it. It's pretty great! I recorded a LP of it. It's in Dutch, but if you wanna get a sense of the early game (and me dying over and over), check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCA0FNIbvc

#12 Posted by spankingaddict (2735 posts) -

@csl316 said:

I just downloaded Cloudberry Kingdom and somehow put 3 hours into it. Just completely zoned out .

Same here , duder . I might beat this game in one sitting , if no one interrupts me :D

The game is far from perfect , but the controls literally is . LITERALLY

#13 Posted by midnightgreen20 (65 posts) -

I got it yesterday and put about an hour into it, only cuz I made plans to play another game. But the game was really fun to play. I like how tight the controls are, and the soundtrack somehow really makes you keep playing. It's weird, but I like it. The game also has lots to offer as far as different arcade modes and powerups, so I can see myself playing this a lot.

#14 Edited by Hennet_sim (336 posts) -

The game is pretty fun it is nice to have a game that will try to kill you and be "fair" about it. It's fun to do score chases with friends.

#15 Posted by spankingaddict (2735 posts) -

I played about 4 hours of the story mode now , am at chapter 6 , and only died 2,000 times :P
I have yet to get really mad . People need to check this game out , it's great !

#16 Edited by csl316 (9414 posts) -

I'm at work and I just wanna play more. What the what??

#17 Edited by Rafaelfc (1453 posts) -

I've played the demo and didn't like the feel of the jump at all... can't really put my finger in it. It seemed cool otherwise though.

Maybe i'll get it when it's on sale at some point (or if it ends up on PS+)

#18 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

I just played a couple of hours and it's pretty sick man.

#19 Edited by DarthOrange (3890 posts) -

I'll have to check it out. The art style does not look good to me at all though.

#20 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

Wow I found out you can use powerups in story mode also. The show a path through the level is really helpful man, but I can see the coin cost becoming too high quickly.

#21 Posted by spankingaddict (2735 posts) -

Wow I found out you can use powerups in story mode also. The show a path through the level is really helpful man, but I can see the coin cost becoming too high quickly.

Wait really . How ?

#22 Posted by Galadan (39 posts) -

I got this yesterday just to try, and ended up playing through 46 levels. Only stopped because I had other things to do. I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed it. A big part of it has to be that the controls simply feel right for a platformer (something very subjective, I know). I fully expect to reach a point where it gets too difficult for me, but I'm also convinced I'll at the very least have got my money's worth by then.

#23 Posted by mikey87144 (1806 posts) -

The game is brutal. Love it though and the music just makes you want to keep going.

#24 Edited by believer258 (12177 posts) -
#25 Posted by spankingaddict (2735 posts) -

Those laser beams shouldnt be in the game . lvl 229 is a bitch

#26 Posted by spankingaddict (2735 posts) -

Can someone confirm that the game for sure saves after every 10 Lvls ? I wanna quit , but dont wanna restart the chapter ...

#27 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

Can someone confirm that the game for sure saves after every 10 Lvls ? I wanna quit , but dont wanna restart the chapter ...

No it saves progress after 40 levels, which is a whole chapter. That's what sucks a dick about it.

@grissefar said:

Wait really . How ?

It's the topmost face button.

#28 Posted by spankingaddict (2735 posts) -

@grissefar: GEEZ , thanks ! well im about done with chapter 6 now .

#29 Posted by Rafaelfc (1453 posts) -

Disregard my idiotic opinion from earlier today. I bought this game because I had enough points and nothing else to do.

And GODDAMN is this game good. Totally addictive, fun and infuriating (in appropriate measures). It took me a total of 5 minutes to get used to the controls, and now I'm totally addicted. It is this year's Spelunky.

My favorite thing so far is just messing with the settings and seeing what levels it spits out in custom mode.

Awesome game.

#30 Posted by CornBREDX (5965 posts) -

Nah.

It seems boring to me. The levels are super short, and the challenge is in how stupid can you make the levels so you have to have pixel perfect accuracy.

Paint me uninterested in this one. It really seems uninspired and I am not a fan of the in game art style (the cut scenes are cool though).

#31 Posted by Sanity (1944 posts) -

Picked it up on steam, gotta wait till tomorrow for release, but will post my impressions at some point.

#32 Edited by Kosayn (453 posts) -

Playing on PS3. It's pretty great. If you follow the fast path as indicated by the gems, it's more sort of tempo-based and intuitive. If you get off the path, it's more measured and careful, but you can still find different ways around the obstacles.

Even if I have missed a gem and won't perfect the level, sometimes I get back on the gem path just because it feels great to be somehow dodging so much death at high speed.

If you like Meat Boy and the harder parts of Mario 1, well, that is this game.

#33 Posted by csl316 (9414 posts) -

@rafaelfc said:

Disregard my idiotic opinion from earlier today.

Done, you are forgiven.

Turns out when you come back the next day, you lose all your skills. When you come back starting on level 200... that's interesting.

#34 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

@spankingaddict:

Nevermind, it looks like I talked a big shit. It saves after every level, not every 40. Lol. I somehow missed the continue button at the top of the chapter select. I wish I had known before I spent 6 hours beating chapter 4, 5 and 6. Man the difficulty really ramps up in 6, which is level 200+. So much that I felt I had to use show a path on a bunch of the levels.

#35 Posted by spankingaddict (2735 posts) -

@grissefar: I didn't notice that either . That's good news then . Yeah the second half of chapter 6 is brutal ! It's a good thing they let you use those power ups . I didn't use any until lvl 229 ..

#36 Posted by Sanity (1944 posts) -

Loving the game so far, played about 3 hours and im in chapter 4 or 5, haven't had to use any power ups yet besides the few times i wanted to see the optimal path, the controls are really tight and i love how different each version of bob plays, though it throws you off when you double jump for 10 levels then try and do it with normal bob...

Hope more people give it a shot, its definitely worth it.

#37 Edited by spankingaddict (2735 posts) -

So , where do you guys sit on the Cloudberry Kingdom leaderboards ? I'm currently placed at no.6 on the psn leaderboards out of like 2,500 peeps . Not many people bought this game :(

#38 Edited by Kosayn (453 posts) -

It's funny how, looking at that gif after a few days playing the game, it doesn't look as hard as it used to.

Don't get me wrong, I still haven't seen a level as bad as that, but once you know that all the spikes, pendulums, and disappearing platforms are timed to the optimal time to go, it doesn't seem as crazy. It's the parts where you have to stop and wait that kill you.

I chanced to play some Knytt Underground soon after this - not really the same sort of game, but it served to illustrate just how great the control in Cloudberry Kingdom is. I can't think of another platformer where it would be so easy to correct your fall onto a tiny space beside a spike.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

I started playing it on the Wii U last night. Whoever designed this game is an asshole in the best possible way.

#40 Edited by csl316 (9414 posts) -

After 2 days off I'm starting to dread going back into the story at 220. Guess it's time to put on some podcasts and get back in the groove. Last cutscene was a cliffhanger!

#41 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

So , where do you guys sit on the Cloudberry Kingdom leaderboards ? I'm currently placed at no.6 on the psn leaderboards out of like 2,500 peeps . Not many people bought this game :(

Yeah nobody seems to have bought which sucks a dick. I think last I checked I was 7th or 9th on PSN. I wanted to get to 3rd or something by doing arcade, and time mode I beat easily fine but for escalate, I can't get to 75 classic, man. I think I got to 73 like four times.

And yeah nobody bought it. In arcade time thingy, I was 2nd on one of the leaderboards...

out of 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.