Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Code of Princess

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 19, 2012

A 3DS side-scrolling brawler from Agatsuma Entertainment.

Code of Princess Unboxing

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

Atlus have done an official video. I wasn't aware the game was boxed like this, I think it looks nice...

Out on October 9th in the US. A European release has yet to be announced...

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By morningstar

I want this, but alas, I'm from Europe :/

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Haruko

That sucks man screw nintendo for not making the 3ds region free.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@Morningstar said:

I want this, but alas, I'm from Europe :/

Typical Atlus.

That Overlocked game came out in Europe eventually though, maybe this will too.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ervonymous

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

That Overlocked game came out in Europe eventually though, maybe this will too.

It's actually still TBA, but it did get some coverage on a Nintendo Direct recently. Supposedly a 2012 release.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

That main character really needs some more armor.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jewunit

Aram comes off as such a great PR guy. His voice, speech, and the passion he shows for the games that Atlus publishes are exceptional.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@ervonymous:

Yea, of course, that's what I had in mind, that new trailer.

It's always nice to see SE for handheld games. I have my doubts it will come over in the same form...

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Shaanyboi

I'll get it, sure. Character design is fucking retarded, but whatever...

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daryl

Think I'll pass on this, mainly because it's Atlus and y'know.....

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldenglishc

Played a couple levels last night. It's like Double Dragon got Queens Blade pregnant and they had an awesome, Atlus localized baby.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slay3r1583

@oldenglishC said:

Played a couple levels last night. It's like Double Dragon got Queens Blade pregnant and they had an awesome, Atlus localized baby.

Sold. Now let's just hope one of the Gamestops within reasonable driving distance has a copy.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldenglishc

@Slay3r1583:

Good luck. I had drive a few extra miles to find a copy.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By ttocs

Usa gamestop's "pick up at store" instead of driving around. First one I tried had it.

NerdOnAWire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NerdOnAWire

The thing to remember about Gamestop is that if it's not located in an area with a medium-large population, the amount of copies they have on hand will almost definitely be small. Both Gamestops in my area only got one copy each, and of course, it was opened and the outer box was placed on the shelf to be manhandled. My art book was bent from the cashier cramming it back into the box, and the soundtrack has scratches and fingerprints all over it (which, of course, I didn't notice until I got home). Both stores' copies were like this, so I really didn't have a choice in the matter unless I wanted to wait for shipping from an online store.

Honestly, if you care about your new games actually being new, order it from Amazon.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MideonNViscera

@NerdOnAWire said:

The thing to remember about Gamestop is that if it's not located in an area with a medium-large population, the amount of copies they have on hand will almost definitely be small. Both Gamestops in my area only got one copy each, and of course, it was opened and the outer box was placed on the shelf to be manhandled. My art book was bent from the cashier cramming it back into the box, and the soundtrack has scratches and fingerprints all over it (which, of course, I didn't notice until I got home). Both stores' copies were like this, so I really didn't have a choice in the matter unless I wanted to wait for shipping from an online store.

Honestly, if you care about your new games actually being new, order it from Amazon.

My favorite is when I try to buy a "new" game from EB Games and they can't find the case.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By toowalrus

Suprisingly, this is a game I totally want to play. Too bad I won't have an extra $40 in the budget for a few weeks. Man, money problems suck, I'm not used to this.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By veektarius

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I'm usually not the sort to mind, but that's pretty over the top. I guess they figure that if they make it obvious enough, people aren't going to bother criticizing them, because it's so apparent that they are not trying to be tasteful.

NerdOnAWire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NerdOnAWire

Yeah, I will say that the design of Solange was a major sticking point for me, simply because of how women are depicted in fantasy media, and this kind of takes it to an extreme.

CommanderZx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CommanderZx2

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Don't you know how armour ratings work? The less you wear the higher your armour rating.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@NerdOnAWire said:

Yeah, I will say that the design of Solange was a major sticking point for me, simply because of how women are depicted in fantasy media, and this kind of takes it to an extreme.

I think she looks great, not as extreme in proportion as I did initially.

No Caption Provided

Vanillaware do extreme...

No Caption Provided
    NerdOnAWire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NerdOnAWire

@Wong_Fei_Hung: Oh, you'll get no disagreement from me when it comes to how extreme those Vanillaware designs are.

I will admit I haven't been paying as much attention to Dragon's Crown as I had CoP, but most of the characters are hyper-exaggerated caricatures(the Dwarf and Amazon being the most obvious examples)based on their abilities, so I can give them at least a bit of a pass because it isn't limited to just the women.

Honestly, though, his is a much larger discussion than I can adequately cover, and I'm not a woman, so I most certainly can't give an opinion from their side. It isn't going to lessen my enjoyment of CoP, I was just a tad put off, is all.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By buft

This game looks pretty fun, the name is stupid but it looks amazing , im in europe so maybe the name thing was just residual bitterness from finding a game im interested in and immediately learning i'll never get it

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By ttocs

After playing this game for a couple nights now, I can honestly say that's it's one of the better 2d side scrolling beatem' up games I've played in a long time. Each character has their own unique traits and if you stink with one, you'll be amazing with another. The combos are tough to chain but easy to pull off individually and that lends itself to some training that needs to be done.

Overall, it's a solid game for the 3DS, a system that's been lacking for me of late.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MideonNViscera

They make light of the princess`s costume more than once in the game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By Hailinel

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I'm usually not the sort to mind, but that's pretty over the top. I guess they figure that if they make it obvious enough, people aren't going to bother criticizing them, because it's so apparent that they are not trying to be tasteful.

They actually lampshade it pretty well in the game. Characters comment on how scantily clad she is and she gets offended by such talk because it's a royal gown that had been passed down over the generations.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Hailinel said:

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

They actually lampshade it pretty well in the game. Characters comment on how scantily clad she is and she gets offended by such talk because it's a royal gown that had been passed down over the generations.

As assuming as that sounds. Poking fun at itself does not make it right. I'd call two tiny cloth straps over her chest and a belt with some cloth dangling from the back a gown. It is awful design. It is not a stylish outfit, or evokes royalty at all. There is barely anything there and I bet the main purpose is for her to be near naked.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

As assuming as that sounds. Poking fun at itself does not make it right. I'd call two tiny cloth straps over her chest and a belt with some cloth dangling from the back a gown. It is awful design. It is not a stylish outfit, or evokes royalty at all. There is barely anything there and I bet the main purpose is for her to be near naked.

You do realize that the game doesn't take itself seriously at all, right?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I never played the game so I'm unaware of it's tone. Regardless of how silly it is, that does not make the design any better. I think your point is that it makes since within the context of the games, if so please explain how.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

BS, ancient queens had a thing for nakedness, Boudica and Cleopatra come to mind instantly, their nakedness was a show of strength to their people.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I never played the game so I'm unaware of it's tone. Regardless of how silly it is, that does not make the design any better. I think your point is that it makes since within the context of the games, if so please explain how.

Well, let's see. In addition to a scantily clad, sword-wielding princess, the game features, among other characters, an evil queen that wears a dowdy nightgown and bunny slippers as her normal attire, an elf bard that slinks his way into the party by claiming he's only a few experience points short of becoming a viable sage, a merchant cat in an Egyptian headdress to whom the elf bard is up to his pointy ears in debt, and a mace and shield-wielding nun named Sister Hel.

Basically, on some level, everyone is absurd to ridiculous.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Well, let's see. In addition to a scantily clad, sword-wielding princess, the game features, among other characters, an evil queen that wears a dowdy nightgown and bunny slippers as her normal attire, an elf bard that slinks his way into the party by claiming he's only a few experience points short of becoming a viable sage, a merchant cat in an Egyptian headdress to whom the elf bard is up to his pointy ears in debt, and a mace and shield-wielding nun named Sister Hel.

Ok, so there are several outlandish character designs, so the skimpy battle-princess attire should be excused? Those others just sound silly and give personality to the characters. What does this the main characters outfit add to her character, other then being a royal traditional garb? it sounds like an excuse for the developers to dress her up like that. I'm not saying she must wear full plate, just have a design that makes since with her character. Admittedly I don't know her characters but from my outsider perspective it comes off that the artist wanted to draw a nearly naked girl, not think if it makes aesthetic or narrative sense for her to be dressed that way.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Ok, so there are several outlandish character designs, so the skimpy battle-princess attire should be excused? Those others just sound silly and give personality to the characters. What does this the main characters outfit add to her character, other then being a royal traditional garb? it sounds like an excuse for the developers to dress her up like that. I'm not saying she must wear full plate, just have a design that makes since with her character. Admittedly I don't know her characters but from my outsider perspective it comes off that the artist wanted to draw a nearly naked girl, not think if it makes aesthetic or narrative sense for her to be dressed that way.

Well, she's not naked. She is clothed. But all that is beside the point.

No one is saying that the character designer didn't want to draw the protagonist as a scantily clad girl. Whether or not it makes sense for someone in a royal position to dress like that, it's apparently acceptable with the fictional world of the game. And it certainly isn't the first game to feature a heroine dressed in what amounts to a battle bikini.

And I mean, did you see the necromancer?

I mean, really.
    I mean, really.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By XenoNick

Another game that looks awesome yet thanks to the 3DS region locking and the highly unlikely chance it will over to Europe I will not get a chance to play it.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

BS, ancient queens had a thing for nakedness, Boudica and Cleopatra come to mind instantly, their nakedness was a show of strength to their people.

Fair point, but I doubt the developers of the game are going for that. This is an impression I get from the way she is drwan, to her giant chest and over sized hits which are twice the with of here stomach. She seems to have bee designed to appear sexual, with extremely unrealistic proportions.

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Veektarius said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Well, she's not naked. She is clothed. But all that is beside the point.

No one is saying that the character designer didn't want to draw the protagonist as a scantily clad girl. Whether or not it makes sense for someone in a royal position to dress like that, it's apparently acceptable with the fictional world of the game. And it certainly isn't the first game to feature a heroine dressed in what amounts to a battle bikini.

And I mean, did you see the necromancer?

I mean, really.
    I mean, really.

I actually don't have as big an issue with the zombie lady. Yes I think her design is dumb. Part of that, is me just not liking their act style. She is not wearing clothes but I get a much less sexual vibe to design. She lacks the hips and chest, is a stitched up blue zombie with a over sized monster hand.

The scarf does implys a level of self awareness, which the design of the Main character lacks, even if it is present in the writing.

melodiousj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By melodiousj

I do like that they at least call out Solange's lack of outfit within the game itself, but yeah, the game would have held up fine without throwing bouncing boobs in your face all the time. It's my only real complaint.

Also: She's not actually the nakedest female character in the game.

That aside, the actual game is great. Each character plays very differently. Solange is easily the most solo-friendly, while Zozo is (probably?) the most technical, but I could see them coming together in co-op really well.

CommanderZx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CommanderZx2

I don't understand the fuss over characters with lack of clothing in games, it's no different than real life. Some people like to wear little, heck there's quite a lot of people who like to be nudists in the real world.

I remember once going to see a relatively normal play in a theatre, nothing out of the ordinary about it other than when I saw the male producer of the show outside of the theatre. In the cold winter weather, he was standing there wearing nothing more than a thong, really tall high heels and a lace scarf... quite a sight indeed...

Is a bikini useful to fight in? Probably not, but does that really matter at all in a fictional world? Not at all. If character armour actually mattered in games then they'd look rather boring all wearing heavy armour.

hoonsama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hoonsama

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I actually don't have as big an issue with the zombie lady. Yes I think her design is dumb. Part of that, is me just not liking their act style. She is not wearing clothes but I get a much less sexual vibe to design. She lacks the hips and chest, is a stitched up blue zombie with a over sized monster hand.

The scarf does implys a level of self awareness, which the design of the Main character lacks, even if it is present in the writing.

Necromancer seems more sexualized to me, and her lack of breasts and curves makes me think she's underaged and I'm with the Australian government's train of thought when I say that this game should be banned.

Who. Cares.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.