Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Coffee

Object » linked to 158 games

The late night gamer's and student's best friend. It is also an important beverage for detectives, lawyers, and other high-strung video game characters.

Whiskey Media Intern-Watch 2011: Day 2

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By benpack

They say that everyone loves sausage until they see it get made, but so far here at Whiskey Media that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve been here X days and so far even though I know how it’s made; I still crave Whiskey Media’s sausage.

Wait, that came out wrong.

My two most important jobs.

I hopped on the 38B Express at 7:55 am in order not to be late for my first day. After getting off the bus I noticed someone else wearing a Whiskey Media member shirt walking in the same direction, and it ended up being Cory, aka Undeadpool, aka the first intern who caused the Whiskeypocolypse. We chatted for a bit while walking to work and little did I know he was very happy to see me, because I was handed all of his duties, including answering the phones, making the coffee, and gathering and uploading trailers for Anime Vice. I never have made coffee before, so after a quick walkthrough from Tested’s own Will Smith I was grinding beans like a pro in no time.

So far aside from posting trailers and helping out around the office, my duties (heheh… duties) have been mostly wiki related. I’ve been going through and captioning various image galleries. I jumped at the chance to handle a few fighting games that I was familiar with and breezed through with some image captioning and general upkeep.

Step it up, Cory.
    Step it up, Cory.

The atmosphere is great here at Whiskey Media. It’s easy to forget you’re in a basement. What
    astounded me the most was the work ethic of the people here. You may have the idea in your mind after seeing various mailbag segments and the like that Whiskey Media is some kind of Willy Wonka-like factory where instead of candy and chocolate, there are magical forests of reviews and rivers of video content. These are hard working people, who from the time they get there to the time they leave, are working to keep the websites you love going. That’s not to say it’s some sort of no-fun zone where laughter and smiles are punishable by law, it’s by no means a stereotypical grey, dour office. It strikes a nice balance of serious and fun that can be seen in the site.

Coming up on my to-do agenda are to learn how other sites operate, get in more questions on live shows, and take down Cory. Wait. Ignore that last part.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By benpack

They say that everyone loves sausage until they see it get made, but so far here at Whiskey Media that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve been here X days and so far even though I know how it’s made; I still crave Whiskey Media’s sausage.

Wait, that came out wrong.

I hopped on the 38B Express at 7:55 am in order not to be late for my first day. After getting off the bus I noticed someone else wearing a Whiskey Media member shirt walking in the same direction, and it ended up being Cory, aka Undeadpool, aka the first intern who caused the Whiskeypocolypse. We chatted for a bit while walking to work and little did I know he was very happy to see me, because I was handed all of his duties, including answering the phones, making the coffee, and gathering and uploading trailers for Anime Vice. I never have made coffee before, so after a quick walkthrough from Tested’s own Will Smith I was grinding beans like a pro in no time.

So far aside from posting trailers and helping out around the office, my duties (heheh… duties) have been mostly wiki related. I’ve been going through and captioning various image galleries. I jumped at the chance to handle a few fighting games that I was familiar with and breezed through with some image captioning and general upkeep.

Step it up, Cory.
    Step it up, Cory.

The atmosphere is great here at Whiskey Media. It’s easy to forget you’re in a basement. What
    astounded me the most was the work ethic of the people here. You may have the idea in your mind after seeing various mailbag segments and the like that Whiskey Media is some kind of Willy Wonka-like factory where instead of candy and chocolate, there are magical forests of reviews and rivers of video content. These are hard working people, who from the time they get there to the time they leave, are working to keep the websites you love going. That’s not to say it’s some sort of no-fun zone where laughter and smiles are punishable by law, it’s by no means a stereotypical grey, dour office. It strikes a nice balance of serious and fun that can be seen in the site.

Coming up on my to-do agenda are to learn how other sites operate, get in more questions on live shows, and take down Cory. Wait. Ignore that last part.

Karlif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Karlif

That's pretty cool.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By yoctoyotta

Hey congrats on the hire, man.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

If you watch the Tested MakerBot videos, you can see how everyone is moving and working, moving and working. Well, when Alex was there, he rocked, but there be passion in that workplace. Work harder Ben.

ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ethan

Glad to have you here Ben. Pinning this thread for now.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Oni

Grats duder, wish I was in your shoes!

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By drjota

The trick to passing the initiation test is instead of pouring the glass of water on the fire,you have to drink it....
    Or am I thinking of the wrong office?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EuanDewar

Your voice is great for the reading the questions, so booming. Grats on the hiring old chap!

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By xMP44x

Congratulations on the hiring!

So I hear you get a Mac in there? :P

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @GlenTennis:  Hey man, how did you get the gig ?
    you're one of the funniest most random duders on this website, but you were never 'staff material', so i'm just curious how it happened :)

Also, congratz !
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By FLStyle

Good job so far, keep it up.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By benpack

@Ahmad_Metallic: Well Ethan put out the call for Interns, I applied and he couldn't say no to my unstoppable charm and charisma.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Daniel

GET BACK TO WORK, BEN. ; )

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

I envision the rivalry between you and Corey to be reminiscent of a Looney Tunes episode featuring Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. 

evil_gordita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By evil_gordita

Awesome.  I've always wondered what the Whiskey interns did during the day when they weren't manning the chat during live shows or making sandwich runs.  Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to Bodega's or Lemon's blogs, but this is the first glimpse I've had in the day of the life of an intern.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By benpack

@Abyssfull said:

I envision the rivalry between you and Corey to be reminiscent of a Looney Tunes episode featuring Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.

I call Bugs.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @GlenTennis said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: Well Ethan put out the call for Interns, I applied and he couldn't say no to my unstoppable charm and charisma.

I figured as much!
    Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aeterna
    @GlenTennis said:

@Abyssfull said:

I envision the rivalry between you and Corey to be reminiscent of a Looney Tunes episode featuring Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.

I call Bugs.

Bad pick, everybody knows Daffy always wins!
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Aeterna said:
    @GlenTennis said:

@Abyssfull said:

I call Bugs.

Bad pick, everybody knows Daffy always wins!
    Duck season.
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jasta

It'd be cool to see some kind of time lapse of the work being done in the office. I know there needs to be a time for hard work without worrying about being on camera, but I'm intrigued as to how the knuckle down attitude transitions to what we see in mailbags etc.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TJ311
    @billnyethesciencepie said:
    @GlenTennis said:

What

astounded me the most was the work ethic of the people here. You may have the idea in your mind after seeing various mailbag segments and the like that Whiskey Media is some kind of Willy Wonka-like factory where instead of candy and chocolate, there are magical forests of reviews and rivers of video content. These are hard working people, who from the time they get there to the time they leave, are working to keep the websites you love going. 

If they have such a great work ethic, why is it that the staff put up, besides klepek, an article once every other week if we're lucky?

Are they just praying vinny doesn't quit, because then they'd have to be more productive?
    Patrick handles the news stuff while everyone else handles the games stuff, ie. finding games to cover, reviewing games, Quick Looks, etc.
    sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By sparklykiss
    @GlenTennis said:

@Abyssfull said:

I call Bugs.

I see you more as a Foghorn Leghorn type. But, hey, that's pretty cool. You know how to make coffee now!

The real question, though, is it good coffee?
    joeyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By joeyf

Great to have you here!

And you make killer coffee -- strong and dark!

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By OldManLight

sounds like a pretty kickass opportunity.  keep blogging and ill keep reading.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By buzz_clik
    @GlenTennis: Every interaction I've had with you gives me the impression that you're a great, clever and funny dude - it's no wonder they picked you for this gig. Good news that you've been pinned in the forums, too, because now you're easier to find. Congrats again, mate.
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#27  Edited By Brackynews
    @Jasta said:
    It'd be cool to see some kind of time lapse of the work being done in the office. I know there needs to be a time for hard work without worrying about being on camera, but I'm intrigued as to how the knuckle down attitude transitions to what we see in mailbags etc.
    Secunded. It would be even more cool if one of the people didn't move an INCH all day. Just glued to the seat getting a monitor tan. Rorie? :)
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Claude
    @Brackynews said:

@Jasta said:

Secunded. It would be even more cool if one of the people didn't move an INCH all day. Just glued to the seat getting a monitor tan. Rorie? :)
    The MakerBot videos on Tested are time lapsed. Pretty entertaining and insightful of the goings on at Whiskey Media.

Here's a link to all the videos.  http://www.tested.com/videos/8/
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jasta
    @Claude said:
    @Brackynews said:

@Jasta said:

The MakerBot videos on Tested are time lapsed. Pretty entertaining and insightful of the goings on at Whiskey Media.

Here's a link to all the videos.  http://www.tested.com/videos/8/
    Cheers mate, I'll have a look through them.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Hizang

I'd love to be there, lucky dude.
    xeroxkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xeroxkitty
    @GlenTennis said:

@Abyssfull said:

I call Bugs.

You're disthpicable! ;)
    stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By stackboy
    @GlenTennis: Grats man, look forward to hearing more about your Whiskey Media adventures.
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HydraHam

Grats, NOW GIVE US VIDEOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111oneone

Seriously though, grats.. and give us videos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.