Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Color Blindness

Concept »

A common malfunction of the eye that causes a large percentage of people to perceive colors differently. This page should be used only for games that include characters with color blindness, as oppose to games that feature support for color blind users.

Coloblind: shout out

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

So, yeah, certain games don't work so well for me.  Often I don't know it until it's too late.  Anyone else have that problem?  I think it's pretty cool that two (at least?) of the GB team have trouble with certain colors.  This vid cracked me up:

Puzzle Quest may have symbols in addition to colors, but it winds up being a problem with the symbols aren't included in the spell lists.  For me I'm not sure the colors are such a big deal, but other games, like Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, were virtually unplayable.

Wanted to open it up for people to vent about problems they've had with certain games, or to talk about color blind buddies making strange mistakes.  Keep it good natured :)
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Man...  I misspelled colorblind.  There's a mistake that'll haunt you.  Has nothing to do with color, even.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " Man...  I misspelled colorblind.  There's a mistake that'll haunt you.  Has nothing to do with color, even. "
    I thought "Coloblind" was a new game or something. Also it's Colour blind! Curses upon you yanks for bastardising the English language! 

Anyhoos, I'm not colour blind myself (at least I don't think so) but as far as I know there aren't many games that support colour blind individuals are there? Which is a little unusual considering how the majority of gamers are male and as we all know, males are more prone to colour blindness women (which is why women have six different names for the wallpaper that most men simply call "Cream".)

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Peggle has colour blind support as far as I know.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I'mma give a shout out to my bro Coloblind. He spins records down at The Mission every Tuesday and Friday night

@eroticfishcake said:

colour colour colour colour

So you pronounce color co-lewh-r? And you pronounce center cent-reh?

A large percentage of men are colorblind to some degree. It might be some basic lack of differentiation between colors, like being unable to distinguish between navy blue or very dark blue and black. I've also be lead to believe that all the members of the gaming media are colorblind, and also left handed.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops

There is 3 kinds of colour blindess right? 

Yellow / blue 

Red / blue 

and complete colour loss right?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rowr

my dad is colorblind, he has a tendency to buy purple things which he thinks are a lovely shade of blue, like shirts and couches.

calum_s_gunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By calum_s_gunn

I have a little bit of that slight colourblindness, but it has yet to confound me, gaming-wise.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Rowr: Yep, I do that.  Although I think some purples I see are actually how others seem to see them, and they look fine.  What's weird is that some things I think are purple are actually pink.  Might have been better in Victorian times for me, since the traditional colors were reversed.

@calum_s_gunn: I've been told my colorblindness isn't as strong as others, so in some ways I've lucked out, but that's cool that it doesn't affect you so much.  I mean, I'm proud of it, as weird as that sounds, but it's nice if you don't have to worry about such things in a color-coded society.

@sodiumCyclops: those sound about right, I forget the specifics, but note that there are wide variations between types.   My colorblindness, though red/green, has its own peculiar quirks, and I think it might be slightly different from one eye to the next, although I've never had a formal test of that, and it may be related to some other thing than the lack of certain cones in my retina.

I thought "Coloblind" was a new game or something. Also it's Colour blind! Curses upon you yanks for bastardising the English language!   

It should be a new game.  Anything to replace the tired old dialect jokes.

@eroticfishcake said:  

Anyhoos, I'm not colour blind myself (at least I don't think so) but as far as I know there aren't many games that support colour blind individuals are there? Which is a little unusual considering how the majority of gamers are male and as we all know, males are more prone to colour blindness women (which is why women have six different names for the wallpaper that most men simply call "Cream".)

Good of you to make all that effort underscoring the u's in your dialect's spelling of the word, but when people go out of their way to beat a dead horse as such, it makes me wonder if they're actually communicating, or merely using language as a means to belt out another barb.

It was spelled color in the original Latin, so I somehow doubt your country has a monopoly on proper spelling lineage, especially since English has always had trouble standardizing its spelling and only in the last few centuries got around to feeding pedants' desires to look down on others.  Your land's Saxon conquerors probably influenced spelling and pronunciation as such as to add the u to make it more like their particular tongue.

I prefer language when it's allowed to do what it wants, as long as it communicates properly, since it's prone to change to adapt to the conditions it finds itself in.  

Now, back to the activity at hand, which until I posted on my own forum was absolute silence :)
    dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By dystonym

That was absolutely hilarious. Good find.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @Rowr said:
    " my dad is colorblind, he has a tendency to buy purple things which he thinks are a lovely shade of blue, like shirts and couches. "
    Yes my friend does that, thinks certain purples are blue. 

And is Jeff really colourblind?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.