Command and Conquer 4s DRM is bad...... very very very bad.

• 71 results
#1 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1332 posts) -

Thought assassins creed 2s drm was bad? listen to this 

Not only does C&C4 require a constant internet connection, if it drops at any point, any data you had? Gone 

read and prepare to be awed 

#2 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Wow. After seeing that, everyone will definitely pirate it. I even think the media will pirate it.

#3 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

....you guys do know Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 have the same thing right?  It's okay for Blizzard to do it apparently.  Plus, who plays the single player for a RTS game?

#4 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" ....you guys do know Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 have the same thing right?  It's okay for Blizzard to do it apparently.  Plus, who plays the single player for a RTS game? "
Ummmm, me.  I have never played an RTS in multiplayer.  I am sure I am in the minority, but it is the way I like to play.  I won't be getting C&C4, nor Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 at any time.  Connect to internet to play, means no sale.  I have never pirated a game in my life, but more and more I am being tempted.  If they can't provide me with a proper and reasonable way to play the games I want, I will go to the not for profit sector to do so.  They need to stop driving customers away.
#5 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

PC gaming is getting fucking crazy.

#6 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@oldschool: That is a vaid point, but I bet the complaining will be very low when Blizzard comes out with Battle.net 2.0, Blizzard gets a free pass and that's messed up.
#7 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" ....you guys do know Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 have the same thing right?  It's okay for Blizzard to do it apparently.  Plus, who plays the single player for a RTS game? "
I play all my RTS's on single player. Besides Blizzard has proven that their system works with the Starcraft 2 beta. Not only that they have their own major only community (battle.net). As far as EA, the way Battlefield Bad Company 2 isn't connecting online, they pretty much lost a lot of people.
#8 Edited by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1782 posts) -

While I don't agree with the erasing of data if your  connection drops, I still don't understand what the big deal about all this DRM nonsense is. Sure, if the servers you have to connect to go down I could see your point, especially in a single-player game. However, there is still massive amounts of piracy going on for the PC. Do you want more games for the PC? Then shut up, buy the game legally and play it with a connection to the internet. Valve and Blizzard do it, but no one complains about that. Sure, they both make awesome games and they also develop almost exclusively for the PC, but the fact still remains that developers are getting fed up with people stealing copies of their IP. It makes logical sense, then, that they're going to do whatever it takes to keep that from happening. Yes, even introducing a minor inconvenience to their customers who bought it legally. No, its not right or fair, but all's not fair and right to be stealing neither.

/my2cents

#9 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @oldschool: That is a vaid point, but I bet the complaining will be very low when Blizzard comes out with Battle.net 2.0, Blizzard gets a free pass and that's messed up. "

You don't need to log into battle.net to play Starcraft 2. 
There will be a login as a guest option to play single player.
#10 Edited by Atlas (2400 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

*Raises hand*. Back in the day I played Age of Empires II for like 1,000 hours or more and never once played online.

OK, I don't mind the Ubisoft stuff so much, because I agree that those probably shouldn't have been PC games at all. But C&C, a fucking PC institution? That's just kinda wrong. Sure if you're serious about playing C&C you're playing it on a rig with an ultra-solid internet connection that never fails anyway, but the principle does just cut a little harsh.

Also, I was unaware that SCII and Diablo 3 had the same kind of thing. That is pretty ridiculous, especially with Diablo which stands much more as a single player offline experience than an RTS game. Jeez. But as you say, no one will mind because it's Blizzard. Ugh.
#11 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

This is just stupid.  RTS games are definite laptop fodder.  What the hell are EA doing?

#12 Edited by Geno (6479 posts) -

How is this meant to discourage pirates :/ ? Each and every one of these things are cracked and hacked within a few hours of the games release, all it does is annoy legitimate customers. 

#13 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @oldschool: That is a vaid point, but I bet the complaining will be very low when Blizzard comes out with Battle.net 2.0, Blizzard gets a free pass and that's messed up. "
I can't comment on Blizzard, as I am not knowledgeable about the fans (I have Starcraft and Diablo, but didn't play them a whole lot), but you are probably right.  I just can't abide by any form of DRM which inconveniences the user.  It doesn't stop piracy and it actually stops sales.  I refuse to get Empire: Total War despite my love of the series, simply because it forces me to connect to Steam and I am not going to do that.  I may one day when it is going out at $10, but it is their loss, as I would have bought it for $80 if not for the DRM.  I am consistent in my hate for all of it. 

I just wish they would focus on exclusive stuff they can offer that makes getting the real game worthwhile as an incentive, instead of focusing on the negative aspects and punishing the legitimate user.  A business model that assumes your customers are all thieves is bad business practice.
#14 Posted by JiuJitsuka85 (377 posts) -

Lovely. But in EA's defence. The last few C&C's where pirated like crazy. A guy in my class passed copies to pretty much everyone XD

#15 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Vager said:
" @KaosAngel said:
You don't need to log into battle.net to play Starcraft 2. There will be a login as a guest option to play single player. "
Yeah but you can't get the achivements or new emblems if you aren't signed in.  Which would negate all the gain for playing single player.  What's the point of working hard on beating SC2 on the hardest setting if it won't give you the rewards for Battle.net if you aren't connected?
#16 Edited by Vager (1653 posts) -
@KaosAngel:

I think thats a bit of nitpicking; playing the game is what matters. Most people who are playing offline probably don't care that much for achievements. 
Everyone is up at arms at not being able to play the games offline at all.
#17 Posted by JJWeatherman (14483 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @KaosAngel said:
Ummmm, me.  I have never played an RTS in multiplayer.  I am sure I am in the minority, but it is the way I like to play.  I won't be getting C&C4, nor Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 at any time.  Connect to internet to play, means no sale.  I have never pirated a game in my life, but more and more I am being tempted.  If they can't provide me with a proper and reasonable way to play the games I want, I will go to the not for profit sector to do so.  They need to stop driving customers away. "
If you really wanted to play the game you could buy it, put it on a shelf, then pirate it and play it. I'm pretty sure that's even legal since you purchased a copy already.
#18 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

The difference this time is, I think it's got to the point where when legit customers say "This is bad enough for me not to buy it.", they actually mean it.  

I honestly expect SH5, AC2 and C&C4 sales to be lower than where they would have been if they hadn't bothered with this style of DRM.  And If that's the case, then it's completely irrelevent whether they helped prevent piracy or not. 

You know what else is crazy?  Napoleon Total war is a 20GB download.  Twenty!  I suppose that's one way of deterring piracy.

#19 Posted by Atlas (2400 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  You don't think basic functionality is more important than unlocking achievements and emblems? Don't get me wrong, I love achievements, but that arguments just seems a little silly to me. We all get your point; different rules apply to Blizzard because they made StarCraft. That's just the way it is. It's not a big deal, and it's certainly not news.
#20 Posted by Tebbit (4435 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
Blizzard gets a free pass because Blizzard has never wronged me before, EVER. Every single game they have ever made, I have enjoyed. Every other company (Westwood and Looking Glass unfortunately no longer count) is still treading on shaky ground. 

Well, maybe Irrational also gets a free pass.
#21 Posted by Evilsbane (4333 posts) -
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: How in the world does Valve do any of that? I can have Steam in Offline mode and my games work just fine, and I have never had a Valve game not work because I didn't have internet. What are you referring to?
#22 Posted by Mikl (157 posts) -
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:
"While I don't agree with the erasing of data if your  connection drops, I still don't understand what the big deal about all this DRM nonsense is. Sure, if the servers you have to connect to go down I could see your point, especially in a single-player game. However, there is still massive amounts of piracy going on for the PC. Do you want more games for the PC? Then shut up, buy the game legally and play it with a connection to the internet. Valve and Blizzard do it, but no one complains about that. Sure, they both make awesome games and they also develop almost exclusively for the PC, but the fact still remains that developers are getting fed up with people stealing copies of their IP. It makes logical sense, then, that they're going to do whatever it takes to keep that from happening. Yes, even introducing a minor inconvenience to their customers who bought it legally. No, its not right or fair, but all's not fair and right to be stealing neither.  /my2cents "

The pirates are never going to buy the game so what does the company gain from DRMing us to hell? They get a ton of bad pr, lose sales from legit consumers, and with all of those lost players you have less people talking about your game. Also as far as I know you only have to be online once for Valve + Blizzard as opposed CC4 and Ubisoft's "Theres a bad storm going on and now I've lost all of todays progress" system
#23 Posted by Vorbis (2748 posts) -

The ignorence in this thread is amazing. It isn't DRM, it's a part of the game.

The whole game is built like an MMO, as soon as you turn on the game you are automatically put in a chat lobby, your "character" starts at level 1 and through missions you gain xp and unlock new skills, whenever you play singleplayer, co-op or competitive it is always the same character.  Yes, before you even login to the game you have to make a "Persona", this is your character and playing through the singleplayer campaign levels up your character, it is the same as the one you take online.

This is like saying World of Warcraft has DRM because it requires you to be online to play. People are upset because it's not like the other C&C games, this is an online game like Demigod, Heroes of Neweth etc.

They announced the game would require an online connection when they first announced the game, it's an online game with a leveling system. As with any RTS game, if you disconnect midgame your stats aren't recorded, this is to stop people dropping out when they are losing.

You can call it bad design and wish the singleplayer was seperate, but it isn't. This is not DRM, it's a game mechanic they chose to use and this is the reason they can't bring it to consoles.  If you honestly think they structured the whole game just to act as a form of DRM then you're dumb. 

You should ignore this game because it's terrible, not because it requires you to be online.

#24 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1782 posts) -
@Evilsbane: My mistake. I guess I can't say Blizzard does that, either, since I don't have to create a battle.net account to play the Starcraft demo.
#25 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

wow that is just a terrible plan. losing saved data for losing connection. people put hours upon hours of single player and one single disconnect and they lose all of that. i find that stupid and DRM should die. steam is a great thing because u can go offline to play games. occasionally i will lose internet i would not want to lose data. 

that DRM doesn't seem to discourage pirating. it actually makes people want to pirate. i especially will pirate a game if it has DRM. DRM also means that the company is spying on the person. 

i bought the dark knight on DVD and it came with a digital copy. i said sure i'll put it on my sansa view. it cost $2 to download it. it didn't say anything about DRM on the download screen. when i try putting it on my sansa view it tells me an error occurred. i later find out that it has DRM it could only be on a computer. if i had known that then i would not have spent $2 and time on downloading it. i would have downloaded the movie illegally if i wanted to. as u can see i hate DRM for that.

#26 Posted by Vorbis (2748 posts) -
@Vorbis said:

" The ignorence in this thread is amazing. It isn't DRM, it's a part of the game.

The whole game is built like an MMO, as soon as you turn on the game you are automatically put in a chat lobby, your "character" starts at level 1 and through missions you gain xp and unlock new skills, whenever you play singleplayer, co-op or competitive it is always the same character.  Yes, before you even login to the game you have to make a "Persona", this is your character and playing through the singleplayer campaign levels up your character, it is the same as the one you take online.

This is like saying World of Warcraft has DRM because it requires you to be online to play. People are upset because it's not like the other C&C games, this is an online game like Demigod, Heroes of Neweth etc.

They announced the game would require an online connection when they first announced the game, it's an online game with a leveling system. As with any RTS game, if you disconnect midgame your stats aren't recorded, this is to stop people dropping out when they are losing.You can call it bad design and wish the singleplayer was seperate, but it isn't. This is not DRM, it's a game mechanic they chose to use and this is the reason they can't bring it to consoles.  If you honestly think they structured the whole game just to act as a form of DRM then you're dumb.   You should ignore this game because it's terrible, not because it requires you to be online. "

Read this before I rage, i'm sick of people shouting their mouths off about this subject when they havn't even played the game. One blogsite fails to understand the devs explanation and all the other sites just copy everything they said.
#27 Posted by Jayzilla (2538 posts) -

I love how people in this thread are openly using a double standard based on their opinions of game manufacturers.

#28 Edited by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

Can you prove that? Because I bet it wont have shit like that.\

Hey look Kaos is talking out his ass again !  
http://www.gossipgamers.com/starcraft-2-getting-drm-protection/
#29 Posted by Kazona (3055 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" @Vorbis said:

" The ignorence in this thread is amazing. It isn't DRM, it's a part of the game.

They announced the game would require an online connection when they first announced the game, it's an online game with a leveling system. As with any RTS game, if you disconnect midgame your stats aren't recorded, this is to stop people dropping out when they are losing.You can call it bad design and wish the singleplayer was seperate, but it isn't. This is not DRM, it's a game mechanic they chose to use and this is the reason they can't bring it to consoles.  If you honestly think they structured the whole game just to act as a form of DRM then you're dumb.   You should ignore this game because it's terrible, not because it requires you to be online. "

Read this before I rage, i'm sick of people shouting their mouths off about this subject when they havn't even played the game. One blogsite fails to understand the devs explanation and all the other sites just copy everything they said. "

Perhaps if we just keep quoting it enough times, people might actually read it. 

But I think I'm being too optimistic now.
#30 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1782 posts) -
@Mikl: To keep legitimate consumers from becoming pirates. If its easy enough for a baby to just download the executable file, nobody's going to bother actually going out to buy it. This is going by the morality you can see only on the internet, of course. 
@Vorbis: Good observation, Vorbis.
#31 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -
@Kazona said:
" @Vorbis said:
" @Vorbis said:

Read this before I rage, i'm sick of people shouting their mouths off about this subject when they havn't even played the game. One blogsite fails to understand the devs explanation and all the other sites just copy everything they said. "
Perhaps if we just keep quoting it enough times, people might actually read it.  But I think I'm being too optimistic now. "
I support this quote train.
#32 Edited by Mooshu (486 posts) -
@Vorbis said:

Don't be so naive. Do you really think this whole constant online thing is something that they thought would be a great gameplay feature? Don't kid yourself. They wanted a constant online DRM, and came up with all the stat tracking bullshit in order to legitimize it. Not to mention the whole leveling system feels tacked on and works very poorly.

You're right though, the real reason people shouldn't buy this game is because it's bad... but the DRM doesn't help this game's image at all.
#33 Posted by Vorbis (2748 posts) -
@Mooshu: Yes they designed the whole game just to act as DRM, not to mention lost all those console sales just to stop the PC version being pirated, hows that tinfoil hat working for you?
#34 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -
@Mooshu said:
" @Vorbis said:

Don't be so naive. Do you really think this whole constant online thing is something that they thought would be a great gameplay feature? Don't kid yourself. They wanted a constant online DRM, and came up with all the stat tracking bullshit in order to legitimize it. Not to mention the whole leveling system feels tacked on and works very poorly.  You're right though, the real reason people shouldn't buy this game is because it's bad... but the DRM doesn't help this game's image at all. "
So your saying they built a whole game thats basically all DRM? Sounds smart, and its totally justified its exactly like WoW or any other MMO.
#35 Edited by Mooshu (486 posts) -
@Vorbis said:

" @Mooshu: Yes they designed the whole game just to act as DRM, not to mention lost all those console sales just to stop the PC version being pirated, hows that tinfoil hat working for you? "

Or maybe the reason they didn't make a console port is because there isn't money to be made in the console RTS market. Those games DON'T WORK WELL on consoles, have never sold incredibly well, and is not the kind of game most people who own gaming consoles want.

And there is no reason they could have had a separate leveling system for the singleplayer portion. They just chose not to specifically to prevent piracy, which it wont.
#36 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -

C+C 4 is just dog shit! I just can't believe it..... I first heard about the game and thought WOW this could be good.. then after watching the mission footage they released I thought.. OH OH.. then when I actually played the game it's just the worst kind of abortion I you could ever imagine!
I'll stick to RA1, Tiburium Sun, RA2 and C+C 3 thank you EA!

#37 Posted by Davvyk (686 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @oldschool said:
" @KaosAngel said:
Ummmm, me.  I have never played an RTS in multiplayer.  I am sure I am in the minority, but it is the way I like to play.  I won't be getting C&C4, nor Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 at any time.  Connect to internet to play, means no sale.  I have never pirated a game in my life, but more and more I am being tempted.  If they can't provide me with a proper and reasonable way to play the games I want, I will go to the not for profit sector to do so.  They need to stop driving customers away. "
If you really wanted to play the game you could buy it, put it on a shelf, then pirate it and play it. I'm pretty sure that's even legal since you purchased a copy already. "
i dont actually think that is legal, as much as it feels like it could be
#38 Edited by Evilsbane (4333 posts) -
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Thats cool, I was just confused because Valve and Blizzard are like the Only two companies left that develop for the PC, and Valve is as far as I am concerned is the only thing that is keeping it alive. Cause Valve is awesome....but they need to tell me stuff about EP3.
#39 Posted by Jeust (10334 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" Wow. After seeing that, everyone will definitely pirate it. I even think the media will pirate it. "
Or not buy it like me.
#40 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Davvyk said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @oldschool said:
" @KaosAngel said:
If you really wanted to play the game you could buy it, put it on a shelf, then pirate it and play it. I'm pretty sure that's even legal since you purchased a copy already. "
i dont actually think that is legal, as much as it feels like it could be "
You are kind of right, in a technical sense.  If I buy a copy of a game that requires online connection to play (like Steam) and put it on the shelf, whilst downloading the game to play free of that the online crap, I am both not and are breaking the law.  It isn't illegal for me to have the back-up cop, as I have the game.  It is illegal to download the game as it was hosted illegally to begin with.  However, if you are not hosting the game yourself (like P2P), then no company will take you to court, nor will any court convict you as they have to show loss.  If you paid for the game, there is no loss.  So it would be a very moral and relatively legal thing to do - relative to the laws of your country.
#41 Posted by hinderk (682 posts) -
@oldschool: You don't have to be online to play steam games, you just have to be online while installing.
#42 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@hinderk said:
" @oldschool: You don't have to be online to play steam games, you just have to be online while installing. "
Sorry if it read like that, that wasn't my point.  The game forces you to connect to Steam and register it with it, meaning the game is not yours.  If I buy the game, never register it, but download a copy, I still own the game and can sell it later if I no longer want to play it.  I still object to being forced to rent a game, not own it.  It is a long held position.  However, if a retail game is about 10-20% of the original price, then I am happy to rent it, as it is now at a rental price.  As long as it is an original game, it shouldn't matter who is playing it, as long as they actually  have the game - just like on consoles.
#43 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
This is kind of a bummer. I had no idea honestly that two games I have no desire to play in multiplayer (maybe Diablo, but only with cow summoning hax) are requiring this. Blizzard fans bend over for a lot and it looks like Blizzards seeing how far they can take things, between this and splitting the game in 3.
#44 Edited by hinderk (682 posts) -
@oldschool:   My bad, I thought you meant that steam would disconnect you if you lost connection.  It doesn't really bother me, but I understand it would bother you.
#45 Posted by Forcen (1766 posts) -

Starcraft 2 will have an offline mode.

According to Blizzard's Rob Pardo, who talked with Kotaku and revealed that you would be able to “Play as a Guest” if you couldn't connect to the Internet or didn't feel like logging in to Battle.net, which, in his opinion, was a mistake, as you'd be missing out on a lot of features. “You don't technically have to login, but you'll want to. You can play in offline mode if you want - I just don't think you're going to want to. You'll be giving up lots and lots of features, and why would you want to be giving up features?” 

http://news.softpedia.com/news/StarCraft-II-Can-Be-Played-Offline-In-Singleplayer-120050.shtml
#46 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

This game will be pirated as hell. It also seems that these DRM's are making people want to pirate the games more then buy them. 

#47 Posted by Driadon (2990 posts) -

There's a reason why it's already cracked. It's too bad too, since they said "Oh, you know that Ubisoft fiasco? Well our game won't have DRM!" and then, a week or so later, it was shown that their "not-DRM" was, in-fact worse. 

#48 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" Wow. After seeing that, everyone will definitely pirate it. I even think the media will pirate it. "
Even if the DRM was perfect worked great, didn't hinder legitimate users...they'd still pirate it.
#49 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" @ch13696 said:
Even if the DRM was perfect worked great, didn't hinder legitimate users...they'd still pirate it. "
First of all, that's just bashing PC users. Second, if the DRM is perfect then how would they pirate it?
#50 Posted by Korosive (201 posts) -
@Geno said:
" How is this meant to discourage pirates :/ ? Each and every one of these things are cracked and hacked within a few hours of the games release, all it does is annoy legitimate customers.  "
It seems pirates are having trouble with this new online DRM. Assassins Creed II still isn't properly cracked.  The fact that publishers can get an extra month or two of sales is why they are doing this. As annoying as it is, it isn't hard to blame them. I still feel this is the wrong way to go though...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.