Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight is the conclusion of the 15-year Tiberium Saga with player progression, co-op play and live-action cinematics.

Command & Conquer 4 Announced (For Reals)

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

Dude, wrong Kane. 
    Dude, wrong Kane. 
    OK, after all the shenanigans yesterday, I was thinking we'd have to wait until Friday for an official confirmation. But Command & Conquer 4 is real, it's been officially announced, and it's coming to the PC in 2010.

The release claims that the game will retain the "core compulsions" that people have come to love about the series while adding plenty of new features, including class-based gameplay, objective-based multiplayer modes, persistent player progression that weaves its way through all of the game's modes, and an "all-in-one mobile base." That objective-based multiplayer is a five-on-five mode that focuses on cooperation and teamwork.

There's also a bit on the game's story. From El Press Releaso Grande:

The story of Command & Conquer 4 takes place after the events of the critically acclaimed Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars™. The year is 2062 and humanity is at the brink of extinction. With only six years left until the mysterious crystalline structure Tiberium renders the earth entirely uninhabitable, the two opposing factions – Global Defense Initiative (GDI) and the Brotherhood of Nod – inevitably find themselves in desperation for the same cause: to stop Tiberium from extinguishing mankind. The unthinkable becomes reality and Nod’s enigmatic leader Kane takes off for GDI headquarters. What is Kane planning in the heart of his enemies’ base? Command & Conquer 4 draws the epic conclusion to the beloved Tiberium universe, where fans will learn the fate of Earth, Nod, Tiberium, GDI and most importantly, Kane’s motivations behind his decade-long plan.

Nope, not him, either.
     Nope, not him, either.
    So this is supposed to wrap up the existing story line, which is interesting because I've never really felt like there was some kind of huge, overarching story to these games. Really, the only truly memorable character that's made it through multiple games is Joe Kucan's Kane. They talk about revealing Kane's motivations, but this also makes it sound like GDI and Nod will, at some point, find themselves working together. Perhaps they'll be fending off attacks from the Scrin while finding a way to either get rid of all the Tiberium or get the hell off of Earth? Perhaps Kane wants death for all and the remaining Nod forces will be forced to turn on him to save their own skin?
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

Dude, wrong Kane. 
    Dude, wrong Kane. 
    OK, after all the shenanigans yesterday, I was thinking we'd have to wait until Friday for an official confirmation. But Command & Conquer 4 is real, it's been officially announced, and it's coming to the PC in 2010.

The release claims that the game will retain the "core compulsions" that people have come to love about the series while adding plenty of new features, including class-based gameplay, objective-based multiplayer modes, persistent player progression that weaves its way through all of the game's modes, and an "all-in-one mobile base." That objective-based multiplayer is a five-on-five mode that focuses on cooperation and teamwork.

There's also a bit on the game's story. From El Press Releaso Grande:

The story of Command & Conquer 4 takes place after the events of the critically acclaimed Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars™. The year is 2062 and humanity is at the brink of extinction. With only six years left until the mysterious crystalline structure Tiberium renders the earth entirely uninhabitable, the two opposing factions – Global Defense Initiative (GDI) and the Brotherhood of Nod – inevitably find themselves in desperation for the same cause: to stop Tiberium from extinguishing mankind. The unthinkable becomes reality and Nod’s enigmatic leader Kane takes off for GDI headquarters. What is Kane planning in the heart of his enemies’ base? Command & Conquer 4 draws the epic conclusion to the beloved Tiberium universe, where fans will learn the fate of Earth, Nod, Tiberium, GDI and most importantly, Kane’s motivations behind his decade-long plan.

Nope, not him, either.
     Nope, not him, either.
    So this is supposed to wrap up the existing story line, which is interesting because I've never really felt like there was some kind of huge, overarching story to these games. Really, the only truly memorable character that's made it through multiple games is Joe Kucan's Kane. They talk about revealing Kane's motivations, but this also makes it sound like GDI and Nod will, at some point, find themselves working together. Perhaps they'll be fending off attacks from the Scrin while finding a way to either get rid of all the Tiberium or get the hell off of Earth? Perhaps Kane wants death for all and the remaining Nod forces will be forced to turn on him to save their own skin?
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

Awesome! love CnC 3 cant wait for this

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By metal_mills

Yay! :)

MechWarrior 5 and C&C4 announced with Monkey Island just released. Wow, best month in gaming for a good while.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By atejas

Like I said in the other thread, at least they're promising to retire the series with this.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Loved the different Kanes. I cant say Im excited for this game though.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By tekmojo

lol at the kane spoof

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Gav47

Giantbomb articles are funny

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stinky

what no mention of Michael Ironside reprising his role?

PS 
    WHERE IS CAIN?
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm excited about this, but I'd also like to see the team behind C&C develop new IP's in the genre.  Command and Conquer 3 felt a little too much like Generals for my tastes.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By phlegms

I was hoping this franchise would be let die before it got too stale...

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ch13696

Finally, I beat C&C 3 over and over again. I'm ready for a new Command & Conquer.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZeroCast

Just bring us Generals 2 already.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Deusoma

I passed on the last one, but this one sounds weird and different, so maybe. I liked the nod to Gerstmanngate there.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Media_Master

wrapping it all up

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By babblinmule

Screw Jebus, the true messiah will soon return!

Alwaysrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alwaysrun

The series has been an epic let down for at least a decade. Not since firestorm has the series garnered any appeal and subsequent releases have only suceeded in climbing a  mountain of cheeze to obtain the mantle of  king fromage.  I for one am excited the series will finially end with this forth installment and hope it's release will coinside with Starcraft 2 so the series can have a quick painful death and stop occupying valuable shelf space at my local game shop. 

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Reverseface

FOR REALS PENATENIONARY STEEELS

lacke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lacke

As I Red Alert fan I rank

RA > C&C
    RA2 > C&C2
    C&C3 > RA3

I really liked C&C3, I thought that game played really well but I didn't like the direction they went with RA3. They just made it silly, without being funny. Which is why I'm looking forward to the C&C series instead of RA now. Damn.. they'll probably butcher RA even more with the inevitable RA4.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NoXious

@lacke:

Red Alert always was weird though - never funny in my mind. 

I agree though, C&C is a much better franchise :)

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

Haven't really enjoyed any of them since Tiberian Sun tbh.

They badly need to go back to basics.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By giyanks22

Cool....hopefully it'll be better than C&C RA 3

H1VOLTAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By H1VOLTAGE

I'll buy it if there is a hidden fire ant level...

Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Contra

Sigh. 

I may not get it....

H1VOLTAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By H1VOLTAGE

On a side note, the two coolest kain's in video games for me are #1 Kain from Legacy of Kain, and #2 Final Fantasy 2's Kain the dragoon. how about you all?

Begemot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Begemot

I would really be interested in the story that  Westwoods mind created.

EA already fucked up their chance with the generic "aliens attack earth" shit.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By raidingkvatch

Kane lives in Death!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By JJOR64

Maybe I will finally try C&C 3 now.  :-P

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By dagas

all-in-one mobile base? So guess even less focus on base building...that's the part I like. Also sounds like some hero unit or something like WC3 you have to lvl up which I don't like at all.

I'l probably play it at some point just for the story, but doesn't seem like I'll be playing much more than that.

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sharpshooter

C&C3 ended on a nice cliffhanger for me. I cant wait for this final chapter in the story.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrKlorox

Any news on whether Kasavin is leading the project?

Avatar image for cleverloginname
    CleverLoginName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CleverLoginName

If Red Alert has proven anything, it's that time travel solves everything.

Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zohar
    @Begemot:

That's basically the story that westwood wrote.  They alluded to the Scrin (unnamed at the time) many times.  EA took what they had and expanded upon it.

CnC3 was a big let down for me.  They really raped the canon in that game.  It was a huge step backwards.  The factions didn't feel right at all.  It was like it all progressed backwards.  Mechs, Energy beam shooting giant walking tanks, and all that jazz from GDI from Tib Sun, and in CnC3 they are back to using...tracked tanks and the like?  The atmosphere sucked, too.  TibSun felt like a futuristic, techno/industrial post-apocalyptic tale of war in a world that is being torn apart by the spread of tiberium and tiberium based lifeforms, ion storms, meteor showers, and mutation.  CnC 3 had almost none of that.  They got the basic idea across that, yes, the world is in a bad state, but it felt really NOTHING like the atmosphere you'd remember from Tibsun and Firestorm.

The soundtrack SUCKED MAJOR BALLS and any CnC fan would know the soundtracks of those games are very important.  They realized this and made the ST for RA3 really incredible.

Nod soldiers got turned into dudes with hoodies until you unlocked higher tier stuff.  The whole deal with infantry coming in squads was annoying, and they missed the mark a lot when it came to the progression of technology the factions would have seemed to have taken since TibSun and Firestorm.  They also almost entirely got rid of the mutants and changed Tiberium itself into some lame crystalyne structure instead of plant-life.  It also took about 8 patches to get that game to a state of relative balance....long after it was dead.

It was a huge stumbling block for them and I think they learned a lot about the CnC fanbase and how important canon is to them.

And thank god they did because Red Alert 3 was an amazing game that did that side of the franchise a  lot of justice.  It was also a pretty well balanced game and had a kick-ass soundtrack.

With the lessons they learned from CnC3, their success in RA3, and their experience now making games a lot more balanced, I'm looking forward to this game quite a bit.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By atejas
    @Zohar: I honestly think RA3's soundtrack REALLY fails to match up to Klepacki's older stuff.
    Well, except for the Soviet March.
    Plus, they've been taking the campiness a bit too far ever since Yuri's Revenge, if you ask me.
    Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it coming out on 360?

Begemot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Begemot
    @Zohar:

To be honest, that's fair enough. I do remember the little alien ships in previous C&C games, but you just described it perfectly. The game just didn't feel right. It was a step back -- and the aliens/Scrin looked so generic. Every building had the same spike[s] sticking out. Units were dull. It just wasn't presented well.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Bouke

Huh? Why not Generals 2? C&C4 seems a bit to soon after C&C3...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.