Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

Turn back the clock yet again in EALA's third installment of the popular alternate-historical RTS, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3.

EA sticking with DRM for Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By brukaoru
    "Because it includes Draconian DRM program SecuROM, Spore's taking a bit of a pounding at the moment. Same thing happened to Mass Effect, same thing happened to BioShock. The message is fairly clear: people know what SecuROM does, and they do not want. EA's response to this? To let you eat cake. They're sticking with the software, whether you like it or not, and upcoming RTS title Red Alert 3 will be coming bundled with it. This time, though, they're going a little easier on you, allowing you five installs (and a few other minor tweaks).

Like the other games, though, spare a thought for the dev team. It's not their decision to implement SecuROM, it's EAs, and the following plea from the team makes clear just how polarising a topic this has become:

Red Alert 3 is shaping up to be a world-class RTS game that will give you many hours of enjoyment. I think it would be a shame if people decided to not play a great game simply because it came with DRM, but I understand that this is a very personal decision for many of you and I respect that. As you might imagine, I’m a lot less respectful of those people who take the position that they will illegally download a game simply because it has DRM.

For a full run-down of Red Alert 3's specific blend of SecuROM, hit the link below."

http://kotaku.com/5047048/ea-sticking-with-securom-though-red-alert-3s-will-go-a-little-easier-on-you

So, it looks like the backlash that Spore has received doesn't bother EA at all. Honestly, I think people are now justified in hating EA so much. Instead of trying to appease their customers and find another solution that would work better, they just make them even more angry. I believe this also contributes to a loss of sales simply because people are starting to hate EA so much that they turn to piracy... I'm speaking of those rare few pirates out there that actually pay for a game they think deserves their money. (Not trying to defend piracy at all here, I don't think piracy is ever justified)

Your thoughts?

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Lies

YAY DRM!

So glad consoles don't have to deal with this crap. Yet...

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PufferFiz

wow i thought the "spore was cracked and hacked a WEEK before release" told them that THIS SHIT DOES NOT WORK.
    so i guess they just lie to tell selfs thinking that this is a solution.
    in the quote the writers says "I’m a lot less respectful of those people who take the position that they will illegally download a game simply because it has DRM."   well im not respectful of publishers putting crap in their games.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Relys

I'm actually thinking of pirating this game, not because I'm even interested... But just to spite them.....

Same goes with all the other DRM supported games.

I will not fucking tolerate this service.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By keyhunter

There's nothing wrong with SecuROM.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By whyzenheimer

I was considering buying both of these games.  Now I will buy neither of them, or any EA product, until they figure their shit out.  There are plenty of other games to play.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By PufferFiz
    keyhunter said:
    "There's nothing wrong with SecuROM."
    tell you try and get rid of it.   D:
    zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zeus_gb

The later versions of SecureROM are a lot better than the earlier version they were horrible.  I don't like the idea of renting games from them though, which is essentially what the DRM is.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By KindGalaxy

DRM hasn't affected me on Mass Effect (EA Store Digital Download), Bioshock (Steam Digital Download) or SPORE (EA Store Digital Download). They're all tied to either my Steam ID or EA Store ID; they always know I legally bought these games, no need to worry about making a phone call after a few reinstalls, can go to another computer and install them, tied to my EA or Steam IDs, and continue on my way.

fruitisgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By fruitisgood

DRM for games can only have the same effect that copy protection on DVD's does for films. Once the torrents are out there and the game is cracked the only people who suffer are those who brought the game legally.

The games companies need to reward those who brought the games legally to deter piracy, for example something like LIVE achievement points. I'd be shit scared to run an illegal copy of HALO 2 PC if it runs the risk of me being banned from LIVE and loosing all the points I've achieved.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By pause422

I'll probably eventually just buy it in store...this isn't reason enough for me to not check it out for sure, but I completely think they should just go with steam though once this fails, and rightfully so.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Evilmetal
    fruitisgood said:
    "The games companies need to reward those who brought the games legally to deter piracy, for example something like LIVE achievement points. I'd be shit scared to run an illegal copy of HALO 2 PC if it runs the risk of me being banned from LIVE and loosing all the points I've achieved."
    May come in the near future with the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) . The foundations are being set, slowly integrating chips, providing the TPM function, onto essentially all new main boards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module
    stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stucket

DRM hasnt affected me much,and my Cousin managed to Delete DRM,though i dont know how,his a IT wizard,lol,

SunBurntYeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SunBurntYeti

What is DRM? Everyone seems to hate it, but I don't know what it does.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KindGalaxy
    SunBurntYeti said:
    "

What is DRM? Everyone seems to hate it, but I don't know what it does.

"
    Digital Rights Management, a means for companies to control access to their media and that of copyright holders. It is a broad term used to describe any device or technology used to prevent unauthorised use of the media in question. DVDs have CSS, which is Content Scrambling System, making it impossible for the consumer to make a simple copy of the media without using some kind of circumventing technology (De-CSS software like DVD Decrypter for example). The major flaw in any DRM is the analog hole, due to what is perceptible to the human senses any digital media has to be converted to an analog medium for us to hear it or see it and it is at that level that most DRM-breaking technology exists and why we have No-CD Cracks for PC games, Modchips for consoles, De-CSS software for DVDs, Music Rippers for Audio CDs and so on.
    Specifically in Red Alert 3's case, it is an EA title, EA's previous titles with this DRM was Spore, Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect and The Sims series and is becoming a staple for any PC release by EA. In the latest releases it limits your initial installation count, in Spore's launch case it was 3 installs and once you hit the limit you'd have to call SecuROM or EA to get credit back on your install count. Earlier versions of SecuROM, namely the Bioshock version of it, was accused of having a rootkit installation process, Rootkits are commonly considered viruses, but are generally not picked up by Anti-Virus software, Microsoft's Rootkit detection program, Rootkit Revealer, flagged Bioshock as a rootkit and the blame was placed on SecuROM. It was later shown that the flag occured due to a null byte entry in the registry, not a rootkit being installed through the SecuROM DRM in Bioshock.
    Personally I've bought all these SecuROM titles from EA, and others from other companies, and never been affected by it in any way, so I'm not too fussed; other people however, just don't like the idea or process of SecuROM.
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By shotaro

To be honest I think that EAs srtict DRM rules are a cynical way of getting you to use their online service - all the games are tied to your username and much like steam if you bought it from them you can happily install it anywhere as long as you are logged in. Digital downloads are the way of the future and SecuROM and its peers are EA and other companies way of pushing you gently towards it - if it ackfires and EA just end up tanking money on well-established franchises much like C&C maybe, just maybe they will listen.

As far as consoles go Microsoft have done a helluva good job of preventing piracy on XBL and since their hardware is so fickle its not worth modding a 360 cos if it red-rings you are screwed. Sony will have lord knows what n the background of the PS3 (lest we forget that SecuROM came to fame because it was installed automatically when you played a Sony/BMG CD on your PC) to prevent piracy and the Wii to an extent allows console modifications (a lot of the Wii firmware updates have a warning saying if you have changed any of the hardware this update will tank your console) but require firmware updates to play the newer games thereby preventing the piracy - consoles have it locked and sorted and the PC will have soon with the TPM.

Destroyeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Destroyeron

I guess I'll be pirating this then.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
    KindGalaxy said:
    "Personally I've bought all these SecuROM titles from EA, and others from other companies, and never been affected by it in any way, so I'm not too fussed; other people however, just don't like the idea or process of SecuROM."
    You do know that SecuROM acts like the Sony Rootkit from a few years ago, right? Once you install it, it never leaves. Even if you uninstall the game. It has access to anything it feels like getting to on your computer. And that's not from the Bioshock install itself. It's been found in Spore, and ME too, as far as I know.
    I pirated a copy of Spore and never even installed it, just to add to the numbers who pirated it. I'll probably do it for this, too.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#19  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

DRM, It's a very tricky issue. I think that first and foremost EA need to make it clear to consumers precisely what will be installed on their computers when they play these games, this is something I feel they have failed to do. As far as the DRM itself goes EA may have to experiment around with it a bit; when Spore and it's buddy SecuROM hit many people turned to piracy that would not have done otherwise because the DRM was too invasive and too strict and so presumably EA have learned that it can backfire. They may now giving Spore and C&C a maximum of five installations and that's all well and goos but I doubt that this'll actually have any great effect, I think we'll see plenty of pirate copies of Red Alert 3.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Evilmetal

why is there a need to enforce how many times the game can be installed?

What happens if you play the game, beat it and then try some online play... only to find out it sucks and you want nothing to do with RA3 anymore?

So you decide to SELL  the game to a friend. If your friend says "man this game blows" I will sell it... then what? This does not take into account possible multiple installs at each point. So if the game is sold to a 3rd person, then this guy will have to call EA and then what?

This act of DRM is a path towards limiting resale.

EA says you won't need the RA3 disc in the drive to play:

- We will authenticate your game online when you install and launch it the first time.

- We will never re-authenticate an installation online after the first launch. In other words, no reaching out to a central server post-install to see if you’re “allowed” to play.

This is a problem by default. Because you  see... if you sell the game to a friend... you TOO will be able to play along with your friend, no?

This whole situation needs to be examined. Someone must buy the game and sell it to friends and see how far it goes. Then the last person will say "WTF, I can't play" at which point he will call EA and EA's response is what I want to know....

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Patchinko
    Destroyeron said:
    "I guess I'll be pirating this then."
    Bingo.

I would have bought it, too. I buy games that I feel deserve it. But unfortunately I will not support SecuROM. Forcing malware on people is needless because it doesn't work anyway.

I argue that there are more people like me--who'll go out and pay for a game we really like because we support those developers--than people pirating games they would otherwise buy. I argue that those people wouldn't buy it anyway even if they couldn't pirate it, therefore it isn't a loss to the company at all.

But, this DRM crap causes a lot of people like me to pirate it instead, and I won't pay a dime to have malware force-installed on my system.

Hell, there's enough good games coming out this month that I may just skip RA3 all together. I was really looking forward to it, but SecuROM pisses me off that much.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne

I will be playing it on the X360, but I think I'll pirate a copy of the PC version anyway. ( :

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By insanejedi
    Patchinko said:
    "Destroyeron said:
    Bingo.

I would have bought it, too. I buy games that I feel deserve it. But unfortunately I will not support SecuROM. Forcing malware on people is needless because it doesn't work anyway.

I argue that there are more people like me--who'll go out and pay for a game we really like because we support those developers--than people pirating games they would otherwise buy. I argue that those people wouldn't buy it anyway even if they couldn't pirate it, therefore it isn't a loss to the company at all.

But, this DRM crap causes a lot of people like me to pirate it instead, and I won't pay a dime to have malware force-installed on my system.

Hell, there's enough good games coming out this month that I may just skip RA3 all together. I was really looking forward to it, but SecuROM pisses me off that much."
    Are you guys seriously trying to help getting people like Greg Kasavin and Amer Ajami laid off because you people just can't deal with DRM?

Think about who you are stealing from.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_
    insanejedi said:
    "Are you guys seriously trying to help getting people like Greg Kasavin and Amer Ajami laid off because you people just can't deal with DRM?

"
    I don't see them pushing against the entire DRM thing. Maybe they'll realize the seriousness of the situation when they get slapped in the face with it like a wet towel.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

EA has stated time and again that all of their future PC releases will feature DRM.  Get used to it.  =  /

Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Bartiemus

I would have no problwm with it if it actually worked but it dosent it just ends up annoying the consumer

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Patchinko
    insanejedi said:
    "Patchinko said:
    "Destroyeron said:
    Bingo.

Hell, there's enough good games coming out this month that I may just skip RA3 all together. I was really looking forward to it, but SecuROM pisses me off that much."
    Are you guys seriously trying to help getting people like Greg Kasavin and Amer Ajami laid off because you people just can't deal with DRM?

"

You should get off our collective nuts. I didn't force them to package useless malware in with their games. I used to work for EA. I'm very precisely aware of what I'm doing, and negative feedback about their DRM decisions combined with evidence that it doesn't combat piracy in the least or result in increased sales will change their minds on it.

I also somehow doubt Greg Kasavin and Amer Ajami are getting laid off because of it, so stop being a drama llama.

Oh, and stop blindly supporting pointless enforced malware.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By atejas

Oh wow, this almost makes me consider getting it on my 360.

Or pirating it. Nice work losing a potential customer, EA.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lunarbunny

Personally if I cared about C&C I'd wait for the crack, buy this, then crack it so the DRM can go fuck itself. I'd still have a legal copy and support the studio. Sadly EA wouldn't get the message.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By insanejedi
    Patchinko said:
    "insanejedi said:
    "Patchinko said:
    "Destroyeron said:
    Bingo.

"

You should get off our collective nuts. I didn't force them to package useless malware in with their games. I used to work for EA. I'm very precisely aware of what I'm doing, and negative feedback about their DRM decisions combined with evidence that it doesn't combat piracy in the least or result in increased sales will change their minds on it.

I also somehow doubt Greg Kasavin and Amer Ajami are getting laid off because of it, so stop being a drama llama.

Oh, and stop blindly supporting pointless enforced malware."

Hey. I'm just saying that if everyone thought the way you think about this whole Red Alert DRM thing, then all EA will do is pull the plug on PC games since everybody pirates them instead of buying them. And a game that is a traditional RTS that is not for PC won't particularly do well either. As a result, basically everyone including Kasavin and Ajami from EA LA who works on the RTS devision gets the boot. 

If you think Piracy is the way to send a message to the publisher? If you wan't to send a message, don't buy the game and send EA a letter or Email. The only message piracy sends is for publishers to enforce EVEN MORE stricter DRM or at very worst pull the plug on PC games all together. Do you wan't that? I don't want that. Dollar votes like Jeff said, Don't buy the game. You don't go stealing Nike shoes to send a message about sweat shops, why steal a game?

And what you are going to do is illegal. It's stealing a game that will be brand new on shelves for $60 highly accesable to anyone in proximity of a store that sells games. Do you think it's fair that someone put their time and effort from hard working people like Ajmai and Kasavin that you know they take their work seriously, just to have it outright stolen before the game even comes out?

I'm not supporting the use of SecurROM in any case, but I do argue for the people who want to get their bills paid. By pirating Red Alert 3 you are outright stealing from the people who worked hard on the game, and it's simply not fair to them. Agian, just don't buy the game if you don't like the DRM, don't go out and steal it.

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By stucket

got to agree with you,DRM is bad,that is true. and it "so called" stops Piracy?i dont know how it works....but by pirating we are wasting the Developer effort into making games,they lose their profit,they cant make games,publisher shuts them down{can they,sorry i dont know] , no more good games. In the end,if you steal the game, there wont be any good game left for us to play,as all the good developer cant make good games without having a thought of piracy and their jobs.

So think about it, DRM is bad,i agree,its like....putting something into your computer without your permission. EA is doing wrong,i  agree. They should instead try to find another way out. But from what i believe, They just want to keep their profit {money-hugger,lol] . But really,If i were they,make registering required with The CD key,any Pirated copies/hacking/cheating, Ban Them like What Blizzard does. Banned= BUY A NEW COPY [rofl,thats how Blizzard get profit]. They get profit back too,lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.