Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

Turn back the clock yet again in EALA's third installment of the popular alternate-historical RTS, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3.

Got my hands on the RA3 Beta

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xruntime

Basically, truth be told, RA3 is RA2 with some graphical updates and a few changes. And unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of most of these changes.

Ore mining has changed. You can't really increase your income by making a ton of ore miners, you have to find more ore nodes. And there aren't many, usually there's only two in the immediate vicinity of your base, the others are somewhat far.

The Japanese faction is very unrealistic and has a lot of changes that throw off old Red Alert fans like me. I prefer the Allied / Soviet style of gameplay.

The graphics are nice, but it's very colorful, the antithesis of those gray games we see so often. The color isn't a big deal, but apparently many people hate it.

It has ripped off micromanagement and point research from Company of Heroes, and while I'm not a big fan of those features, they don't really matter much. I think it's good, though, because the gameplay can be somewhat slow, so you have time to fool around with those stuff. However, the gameplay will not be slow if you launch an early attack, as many people do, which is somewhat unfair - many servers explicitly ban it in their server titles.

There are a good amount of features, but the maps aren't really distinct. I got a little bored, because in most games I either got run over, or I ran someone over. Since resources weren't in abundance, I could only muster a small force in most games. On the graphical side, the tanks are smaller, and the buildings are bigger.

So, essentially, its the same game with a few things here and there. Is it going to be successful? I think its going to be a good game, but if you were hoping for something revolutionary, a must-buy, I think RA3 isn't going to make it in that department.

Maybe my opinion will change as time continues - its a fun game, but it's not addicting and it didn't really hook me. There are A LOT of bugs in the beta.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#2  Edited By Soap

There will always be bugs in BETA, thats kind of the point of it :p

To be fair as well, if it hadn't had any changes it would just be the same game as the last one and then they might as well not have bothered. I've always had a soft spot for RA, hopefully this one turns out well

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xruntime

I think the game would have been better off if they forgot about this crazy sci fi Japanese faction and instead changed the Allied and Soviet catalog. Come up with new superweapons, new boats, new soldiers, new tanks..

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By Soap

I suppose, Classic RA will always be Soviets and Allies, but I dunno, I have a bit of a soft spot for japan so I'm gunna let this one slide lol. How do they feel to play btw?

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xruntime
    Soap said:
    "I suppose, Classic RA will always be Soviets and Allies, but I dunno, I have a bit of a soft spot for japan so I'm gunna let this one slide lol. How do they feel to play btw?"

Totally confusing at first. They're pretty powerful, many people complain some of their boats are overpowered.

They have pods that deploy as buildings. The buildings are equivalents of the allied/soviet ones but have different names.

I haven't really screwed with the infantry, because vehicles generally win the game. I made an army of soldiers and they got overrun easily by bears and tanks.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Evilmetal

I don't know if I should be concerned or anything but the main menu music is from RA2.... it is a beta, but still.

also the main menu is too red in color, could be a tad bit hard on the eyes.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xruntime

All the sounds and the music are from RA2 - like I said in the first post, besides a few changes, it's pretty much Red Alert 2.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By farmer
    xruntime said:
    "All the sounds and the music are from RA2 - like I said in the first post, besides a few changes, it's pretty much Red Alert 2."
    It's a beta
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xruntime
    Farmer said:
    "xruntime said:
    "All the sounds and the music are from RA2 - like I said in the first post, besides a few changes, it's pretty much Red Alert 2."
    It's a beta"

Of course - but most companies would not release a beta that's missing so many things (and is so buggy). I'd think internal testing would have revealed the major bugs in the beta.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Evilmetal

I don't like how there is an 'ore node' now and how you build a refinery right in front of it.

In the previous games, the ore truck would go into the field and 'search' for ore. If you built a building on the shortest path, from ore to refinery, the ore truck would go around the object in the path; this creates a variable in consistency of income. Now there is no real variable, just build in front of refinery... maybe you can use the shrink ray to speed up the truck, but still it's just too trivial to have the refinery in front of the ore node. It's weak. Your enemy knows where your truck is, there is little to guess.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By pause422

everyone keeps saying 'its a beta' all that will change in the beta is fixing bugs mostly, the initial game won't change ...so don't just say 'its a beta' as an excuse. I didn't get in the beta though, and I've also never even played a red alert game, so I might check it out.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xruntime
    Evilmetal said:
    "I don't like how there is an 'ore node' now and how you build a refinery right in front of it.

In the previous games, the ore truck would go into the field and 'search' for ore. If you built a building on the shortest path, from ore to refinery, the ore truck would go around the object in the path; this creates a variable in consistency of income. Now there is no real variable, just build in front of refinery... maybe you can use the shrink ray to speed up the truck, but still it's just too trivial to have the refinery in front of the ore node. It's weak. Your enemy knows where your truck is, there is little to guess."

Yeah - I really didn't like this decision. A common rush tactic is to take out their ore miner with a terror drone.

It runs out of  ore very quickly, too. And it doesn't get replenished. You have to scout out other ore mines that are far away (and put a base, a deployed ore refinery, and the miner there) and theyre very susceptible. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.