Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

Turn back the clock yet again in EALA's third installment of the popular alternate-historical RTS, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3.

No place for C&C

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Teh_Eel

I'm a big fan of the C&C, everything up to Yuri's Revenge is pure gold. Even Generals was good. But is there really any place for C&C anymore. With the lastest installments really adding nothing to the RTS genre (TW,KW,RA3) and in my opinion being very average RTS's I really can't see the once proud Flagship for the RTS genre having a future. RTS wagon has moved on with games such as DoW, CoH, SupCom, WiC each adding there own take on the RTS formula, also the WarCraft series of games (which was round at the same time as the C&C series golden years) changed and evolved its self to be still relivate today, something the C&C games decided to ignore.

With 2009 being the year when 2 very big RTS series launch there sequals ( DoW 2 and SC 2) sadly I can see C&C being forgotten only to occasionally pop up its head with a game thats just more of the same and being brushed to one side.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Personally, I think C&C in its current format either needs an overhaul or they need to focus on lengthening the life of the games themselves.  There's not enough gameplay changes between C&C 3 and Red Alert 3 for me to warrant purchasing Red Alert 3 at full price.  I'd rather see them focus development on expansion packs for the games with gradual, meaningful additions and tweaks to the gameplay.  Additional multiplayer modes & maps, new campaigns, and additional units could greatly lengthen the life of the game, but releasing a Command and Conquer every year or so at full price isn't exactly warranted.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Steve_C

So what's Starcraft 2 gonna bring new to the table. I've never played starcraft, but it always seemed like C&C with aliens. A solid, well balanced game.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    Steve_C said:
    "So what's Starcraft 2 gonna bring new to the table. I've never played starcraft, but it always seemed like C&C with aliens. A solid, well balanced game."

I'm of a similar mind.  Starcraft had a different setting and finely balanced gameplay.  But if you look at Starcraft and, say, Command and Conquer: Generals, the gameplay is fundamentally the same.  Even the factions play out similarly.  That's why I was so disappointed with Command and Conquer 3 - it felt like a mere graphical upgrade to a formula nearly eight years old.  Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as I wasn't expecting them to reinvent the wheel.  However, I'd at least like the factions to feel somewhat different.  I'm just not entirely sure how.
    Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Moon

Im pretty sure my first pc game was c and c gold edition. It might have been something else I cant exactly remember but I did have cnc

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar
    Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "Steve_C said:
    "So what's Starcraft 2 gonna bring new to the table. I've never played starcraft, but it always seemed like C&C with aliens. A solid, well balanced game."

I'm of a similar mind.  Starcraft had a different setting and finely balanced gameplay.  But if you look at Starcraft and, say, Command and Conquer: Generals, the gameplay is fundamentally the same.  Even the factions play out similarly.  That's why I was so disappointed with Command and Conquer 3 - it felt like a mere graphical upgrade to a formula nearly eight years old.  Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as I wasn't expecting them to reinvent the wheel.  However, I'd at least like the factions to feel somewhat different.  I'm just not entirely sure how."
    No man its like day and night.

C and C generals its all about making your economy hit exponential or stopping your enemy from doing the same.

Starcraft is like a well played game of chess; there are unit caps, resource caps (none of those are in generals).

To say they play the same is like saying all FPS shooters are the same or that all fighting games are the same.
    Kaneswrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Kaneswrath

Chinese ppl like RA a lot it's been put on a high place in Chinese people's mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.