New Command & Conquer, Studio Announced

• 76 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

So, over the break, one exciting announcement was made: RTS Command and Conquer will be breathing new life with a brand new game at some point, after the shaky release and even shakier reception of Command and Conquer 4. EALA won’t be handling this one though. EA has set up a new studio dubbed Victory Games to helm the development.

Great, right? One problem: the official Web site announcing all of this has been pulled, so we’ve only got scattered reports to lean on when it comes to details, which, of course, are lighter than a marshmallow at the moment. With that said, PC Gamer's World managed to grab the text of a Q&A posted on the blog that reveals this little gem: this new C&C will be a PC-focused game of AAA quality, so no worries on that front.  

Victory Games has three offices: one based in LA, the other in Austin, and the last in Shanghai, China. In the Q&A, Jon Van Caneghem, the GM of the new studio, says the studio’s name derives from what you see on the screen after a good match. “The reason I think it fits so well,” he adds, “is when you look at how to be successful in strategy games: it’s the ability to anticipate, plan, and react.”

The Q&A says we’ll get a better look at this new game towards the end of the year, and I’d imagine, the game’s Web site will be up and running again rather soon. The cat is out of the bag, after all.  

[Via Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Voodoo Extreme]
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

So, over the break, one exciting announcement was made: RTS Command and Conquer will be breathing new life with a brand new game at some point, after the shaky release and even shakier reception of Command and Conquer 4. EALA won’t be handling this one though. EA has set up a new studio dubbed Victory Games to helm the development.

Great, right? One problem: the official Web site announcing all of this has been pulled, so we’ve only got scattered reports to lean on when it comes to details, which, of course, are lighter than a marshmallow at the moment. With that said, PC Gamer's World managed to grab the text of a Q&A posted on the blog that reveals this little gem: this new C&C will be a PC-focused game of AAA quality, so no worries on that front.  

Victory Games has three offices: one based in LA, the other in Austin, and the last in Shanghai, China. In the Q&A, Jon Van Caneghem, the GM of the new studio, says the studio’s name derives from what you see on the screen after a good match. “The reason I think it fits so well,” he adds, “is when you look at how to be successful in strategy games: it’s the ability to anticipate, plan, and react.”

The Q&A says we’ll get a better look at this new game towards the end of the year, and I’d imagine, the game’s Web site will be up and running again rather soon. The cat is out of the bag, after all.  

[Via Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Voodoo Extreme]
#2 Edited by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

cool
also this is the third time i get this. yay to me

#3 Posted by Bamsen (347 posts) -

yay

#4 Edited by Gazoo (17 posts) -

fuck - I always have to log in when I see my chance to do a "first" - and guess where that leaves me? 

That's right... Checking into foursquare "I'm fucked".

#5 Posted by Crono (2707 posts) -

Is this really exciting? I'm not so sure...

#6 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -

Hope they can fix it, but realistically for me, I haven't really been into C&C since the first 2, and maybe the first Red Alert.

#7 Posted by gosukiller (2325 posts) -

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#8 Posted by Gazoo (17 posts) -
@Nasos100: I guess you should never stop chasing an achievement, even though you got it...
#9 Posted by Abendlaender (2888 posts) -

Nice.
I really enjoyed Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3.
Tiberium Twilight....let's not talk about that

#10 Posted by Renegade (374 posts) -

This is also known as: We screwed up entirely on CnC 4, and saw that you can still make a classic RTS and be hugely successful on the PC (See: Starcraft 2, Blizzard).

#11 Posted by Terranova (605 posts) -

They need to do something special to get the C&C series back on track, especially if they want to take on SC2. 

#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

How about less of a focus on social networking and more on the actual game? 
The fourth game was such a disaster, I'm really surprised they're trying another so soon.

#13 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

OH JESUS! 
*yawn*

#14 Edited by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Man remember Tiberium? This story totally reminds me of that, thing.

#15 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

This new C&C will be a PC-focused game of AAA quality, so no worries on that front.

Well, that's good that they're able to predict the average review score so early.
I suppose anything is going to look amazing compared to C&C4.
#16 Edited by BraveFart (298 posts) -

BooM BooM PeW PeW !!

#17 Posted by VicRattlehead (1400 posts) -

great so when no one buys this c&c; game they can close another studio and fire loads of people gj EA

#18 Posted by White_Silhouette (476 posts) -

I really hope they can find the roots that made C&C fun again. I love the series. will look forward to see what they do.

#19 Posted by Metal_Mills (3046 posts) -

I love C&C but RA3 and especially C&C4 were shit. C&C4 really bummed me out. They have GOT to change it up and get rid of that bloody engine!

#20 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -

The last C&C I played and enjoyed was generals, but that was because I was playing it online with a friend, winning a lot.   

WTB Hi res Red alert 2. Lawl. 

#21 Posted by Kaj235 (47 posts) -

Just redo C&C Generals Zero Hour with updated engine and I'll buy it day one. That game was amazing!

#22 Posted by OtakuGamer (1285 posts) -
@Kaj235 said:
" Just redo C&C Generals Zero Hour with updated engine and I'll buy it day one. That game was amazing! "
Agreed. I doubt it though.
#23 Posted by Borodin (417 posts) -
@Chris2KLee said:
" Hope they can fix it, but realistically for me, I haven't really been into C&C since the first 2, and maybe the first Red Alert. "
Word. I don't even know what it would take to get me to buy back into C&C, use Supreme Commander as a template maybe?
#24 Posted by Nictel (2435 posts) -
The Command & Conquer?
#25 Posted by BLipp18 (256 posts) -

how about EA rehire everyone from Westwood Studios (the C&C creators) and have them bring back the majesty that was C&C. Red Alert 2 was my favorite C&C game!

#26 Posted by K1LLERD1ABLO (28 posts) -

I never played a C&C game before. Is it kind of game like Starcraft?

#27 Posted by onimonkii (2463 posts) -

i'm sorry c&c, i've met someone else, her name is starcraft 2

#28 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

C&C was my favourite franchise for many years but it ended so badly, the last few games were just terrible, not sure I can learn to love again...

#29 Posted by raiz265 (2242 posts) -

Generals 2 or gtfo.

#30 Posted by numberThirtyOne (87 posts) -

The last C&C game I really had fun with was Generals which was what, 8 years ago?  Hope they can figure this out and actually make the series what it once was.

#31 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

Generals was really cool - would be nice to play an updated version.

#32 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

Oh man remember WESTWOOD studios, when C&C games used to be awesome?

#33 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

Hope they succeed. A good C&C trumps a good Starcraft, in my opinion.

#34 Posted by tineyoghurt (358 posts) -
@Kaj235 said:
" Just redo C&C Generals Zero Hour with updated engine and I'll buy it day one. That game was amazing! "
I'm a neuroscientist, and this statement is my favourite statement on the Citadel. 
#35 Posted by SpheriQ (87 posts) -

I would guess it'll be a Generals game or a new thing altogether. The Tiberian universe is regrettably dead since EA killed it with their last outing, and I can't see another worthwhile strategy game  set in it. And the last Red Alert doesn't seem far enough to merit a new one.  

I just hope they give whatever team that's working on it enough time and creative control to make a decent game and avoid the pitfalls that the EALA team had to suffer through.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, how do they know it's going to be AAA quality? That information's kinda meaningless, at least when it's said like that.

#37 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12110 posts) -

John Van Caneghem? He's the founder of New World Computing and the guy behind the Might and Magic series as well as Multimedia Celebrity Poker. Consider me interested.

#38 Posted by EisforExtinction (78 posts) -

More CnC is good.

#39 Posted by Gellrock (381 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
" Oh man remember WESTWOOD studios, when C&C games used to be awesome? "
Mmmmm, remembering this makes me sad
#40 Posted by Raineko (431 posts) -

played C&C but I liked Starcraft better

#41 Posted by Halopower67 (173 posts) -

C&C Generals! Something along those lines and we are all good.

#42 Posted by LLJK_Jasta (288 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
" Oh man remember WESTWOOD studios, when C&C games used to be awesome? "
Yeahhhh.... Those were the days.
#43 Posted by Ghostiet (5320 posts) -

I hope they were created to retcon the shit out of C&C4. That game is a train wreck in every way.

#44 Posted by BUCK3TM4N (549 posts) -

i have never owned a C&C game

#45 Posted by Bummey (616 posts) -
@BUCK3TM4N said:
" i have never owned a C&C game "

A long time ago I had to make the decision between Warcraft 2 or Command or Conquer.  

C&C was the correct choice.
#46 Posted by AuthenticM (3803 posts) -

Yeah!

#47 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Sega CD Box Art
#48 Posted by Donos (1197 posts) -

Oh, it's going to be AAA is it? All my fears are completely assuaged. AAA isn't a quality people.
#49 Posted by Deusoma (3032 posts) -
@Bummey said:
" @BUCK3TM4N said:
" i have never owned a C&C game "
 A long time ago I had to make the decision between Warcraft 2 or Command or Conquer.   C&C was the correct choice. "

You chose... poorly.
#50 Posted by Raviyn (43 posts) -

Great news!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.