Get C&C For Free

• 95 results
Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

While it's been nice to see the Command & Conquer revival over the past few years, let's be completely honest here: the C&C name doesn't hold the same cache it originally did in the mid-90s, back when it was basically one of two games in the burgeoning real-time strategy genre, and its FMV cutscenes represented the pinnacle of video-game production values.

It would seem that EA is keen to remind you of just how much you loved Command & Conquer--or, in the case that you're too young to remember C&C in its heyday, experience it for the first time--by making Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn, Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (plus the associated Firestorm add-on), and Command & Conquer: Red Alert available for free. This isn't some kind of Command & Conquer 4 preorder bonus or anything like that: just a stack of classic, free games. A pretty cool gesture on EA's behalf, assuming you didn't foolishly waste money on Command & Conquer: The First Decade back in 2006.

There's something really illicit and crazy about the way EA is releasing raw ISO files for this stuff, leaving it to the end user to figure out how to get these old-ass games running on a modern PC. If there's any downside to this offer, it's that the version of the original C&C that's up for download is the Windows 95 version, not the original DOS version. This is probably better for compatibility purposes, but it also means that it's sadly missing the EVA install process, which is, empirically speaking, the greatest game installer ever. This is a poor substitute, but here's a YouTube video of the original EVA in action to remind you of just how lacking modern installers are.

Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

While it's been nice to see the Command & Conquer revival over the past few years, let's be completely honest here: the C&C name doesn't hold the same cache it originally did in the mid-90s, back when it was basically one of two games in the burgeoning real-time strategy genre, and its FMV cutscenes represented the pinnacle of video-game production values.

It would seem that EA is keen to remind you of just how much you loved Command & Conquer--or, in the case that you're too young to remember C&C in its heyday, experience it for the first time--by making Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn, Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (plus the associated Firestorm add-on), and Command & Conquer: Red Alert available for free. This isn't some kind of Command & Conquer 4 preorder bonus or anything like that: just a stack of classic, free games. A pretty cool gesture on EA's behalf, assuming you didn't foolishly waste money on Command & Conquer: The First Decade back in 2006.

There's something really illicit and crazy about the way EA is releasing raw ISO files for this stuff, leaving it to the end user to figure out how to get these old-ass games running on a modern PC. If there's any downside to this offer, it's that the version of the original C&C that's up for download is the Windows 95 version, not the original DOS version. This is probably better for compatibility purposes, but it also means that it's sadly missing the EVA install process, which is, empirically speaking, the greatest game installer ever. This is a poor substitute, but here's a YouTube video of the original EVA in action to remind you of just how lacking modern installers are.

Staff
#2 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

Sweet!

#3 Posted by Three0neFive (2274 posts) -

Or I could just torrent a version with an actual installer.

#4 Posted by nukesniper (1311 posts) -
#5 Posted by xaveri (153 posts) -

We will see you in Moscow!!

#6 Posted by Milkman (16223 posts) -

I don't think Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert can even work on Vista.

#7 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Free stuff!

#8 Posted by Hero_Swe (1079 posts) -

Pretty cool. Good move by EA

#9 Posted by Mcfart (1425 posts) -

I spent $20 on the First Decade, so these don't apply, however, Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert both work on Vista. Use Admin priviliages.

#10 Edited by MattyFTM (14241 posts) -

That's awesome if you don't already own them, but most people interested in C&C will probably own them in some form by now (I think I've about 3 copies of Tiberian Dawn somewhere - one original, one in the first decade and another random one that even I don't know how I came to own). But it might introduce new people to the franchise, so good on EA.

#11 Posted by AndrewB (7189 posts) -

So is Tiberian Dawn an official name for the first game now?

#12 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@nukesniper: the first decade is a great pack. Its the only boxed pc game i have at the moment. If you have it, make sure to get the fan-made patch that fixes all the bugs and makes all of the games no-cd like they are supposed to be.

You can get the patch here
 http://www.cncsector.net/cnp/tfd

It's great.
#13 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

Or you could play Starcraft. 

Just sayin'

#14 Posted by pmajeski (3 posts) -

god i feel old

#15 Posted by ky326 (254 posts) -

Hell ya!

#16 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

Hasn't this been free for a while?

#17 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

I run my old copy of Win98 in virtualpc to run old DOS games, works great.

#18 Posted by Korwin (2721 posts) -

FUCK YES!

Center...

I heartily endorce the return of C&C game installers in all modern titles.  It is truely a lost art.

Now If i could just free up enough virtual memory to run privateer...

#19 Posted by nukesniper (1311 posts) -
@Supermarius said:
" @nukesniper: the first decade is a great pack. Its the only boxed pc game i have at the moment. If you have it, make sure to get the fan-made patch that fixes all the bugs and makes all of the games no-cd like they are supposed to be.

You can get the patch here
 http://www.cncsector.net/cnp/tfd

It's great.
"
Awesome! Thanks for that!
#20 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

I love this idea. More companies should do this, it's a great way to promote sequels and doesn't lose them much/any money.

#21 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

Now let me get this straight, EA is giving something away.......for free.  Somebody is going to get fired.

#22 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1166 posts) -
@AgentofChaos said:
" Hasn't this been free for a while? "
I'm fairly sure Red Alert has been free for some time now, not sure about the others.

That installer was fucking awesome.
#23 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4493 posts) -

Haha. Tricky Mr D.avis with his fake awesome installers. Trying to get us to think something like that's possible. How silly.

#24 Posted by Ariketh (606 posts) -

I agree. Best installation screen ever.

I remember trying to play this without a sound card and getting stuck on one of the NOD missions until I got one. Good times...

#25 Posted by MajorToms (362 posts) -

no Red Alert expansion? I'll grab em seeing as i have no clue where my discs even are.

#26 Posted by teh_destroyer (3556 posts) -

Command And Conquer rocked my socks back in the day, will download.

#27 Posted by VibratingDonkey (830 posts) -

Today is the official free day apparently. You can also download flOw off of the US store and pay nothing. Getting an error on my US account, so don't know if that'll work.

Also Flower has gotten a steep price cut in the EU store.

#28 Posted by MeatSim (10594 posts) -

I'll play me some Red Alert.

#29 Posted by Outrager (132 posts) -

I can't seem to get Tiberium Sun to run on my Windows 7 64bit. Oh well.

#30 Posted by Astalder (25 posts) -

Steam feels cold next to this, at the least X360 and PS3 disc installations should take a page from this.

#31 Posted by Brake (1050 posts) -

Great find. I'll get me some Red Alert and Tiberian Sun. I'm sure I have both of those around here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find them.

#32 Posted by MrKlorox (11185 posts) -

They should have got them working then put them up on EADM. But then again that would have cost more than the $50 they probably spent making these available.

Fuckit. Free and Legal is Free and Legal.

#33 Edited by Noxpectius (167 posts) -

Awesome!!!! Never played them before. Downloading them All Right Now.

#34 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

That install is freaking awesome.

#35 Posted by Amilmitt (237 posts) -

this is when i tell all my friends to try them as i have all the old C&C games

#36 Posted by dagas (2711 posts) -

I remember Tiberian Sun being the first game I had ever seen that had a CD-key. It's also my favorite C&C game.

#37 Posted by captain_clayman (3300 posts) -

woo hoo free stuff! 
wait. from EA? 

this cant be right.

#38 Edited by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

The very first C&C and Red Alert utterly blew me away! 
After that i lost interest in the series. 
Gratuit, hey? 
I might dl these... for nostalgia's sake. 
Ah, good ol' WestWood... 
#39 Posted by Fistbeard (33 posts) -
#40 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I used to be mildly interested in C&C, but ever since they came out with the version that had toxic mold on the ground that would kill your mineral harvester if you didn't babysit it, I've lost interest. It also became quite apparent that since it's made by EA they were a lot less concerned with balancing the gameplay than they were with putting out a new version in a timely manner.

#41 Posted by SunKing (687 posts) -

i t's sadly missing the EVA install process, which is, empirically speaking, the greatest game installer ever.

Empirically speaking, you are correct, sir! 

Might have a go at installing Tiberium Sun sometime this evening. For the lolz, y'know?
#42 Posted by Scrawnto (2409 posts) -

Duder, that installer was incredible! Someone needs to pick up that ball and run with it.

#43 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

The original and Red Alert have been available for some time.  Really great that they've made the rest free too though.
Shame C&C4 is no good at all..

#44 Posted by Vorbis (2748 posts) -

C&C Red Alert 2 also had a great installer, still remember most of the words.

#45 Posted by Jimbo (9708 posts) -

And those are probably the three best C&C games, so you're all set if you haven't played C&C before.  Red Alert 2 is also good; the rest are garbage.

There were some fucking amazing installations back in the day, mostly for the sound tests.  Full Throttle's was great, and I seem to recall Terminator Future Shock having a good one, but I can't dig out a full copy of it.  Red Alert 2 had a kick ass installer.

#46 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

I'll be crazy and try to get Tiberian Sun running on Vista. My disc got broken ages ago and I feel like giving it another shot.

#47 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

memoriesss. thanks for posting installed video!

#48 Posted by mracoon (4914 posts) -

I played so much Red Alert and Tiberian Sun as kid. It's really cool to see companies doing this kind of thing because it great way to promote new games and it lets newcomers see the roots of the series.

#49 Posted by NoXious (1335 posts) -

Red Alert 2 had the best installer ever! WestWood in general made some insane installers, I remember Nox having a cool one too.

#50 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

I think this is great and more studious should do that with their old, old games. I already own all C&C games except RA3...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.