You Can Kiss Shepard Goodbye After Mass Effect 3

• 196 results
Posted by Alex (2168 posts) -

Confirming what some had suspected ever since BioWare revealed that the current Mass Effect series as we know it would conclude as a trilogy, series producer Michael Gamble dropped the bomb on PC Gamer today that Commander Shepard, regardless of whatever gender version of that character you happen to prefer playing as, will no longer be the star of the show following Mass Effect 3.

Say hello to your new lady friend. Then say goodbye, because she ain't stickin' around.

With Mass Effect 3, erm, effectively wrapping up the Shepard storyline, the question then turns to what the future may hold for the franchise in general. According to Dr. Ray Muzyka, the future is still entirely bright for the series.

We have ambitious plans to continue this franchise going forward. Mass Effect 3 is simultaneously a couple of different things: a thrilling and epic conclusion to the trilogy as we promised our fans we'd provide for Commander Shepard, but it's also a brand new beginning - it's an entry point for new fans.

While fans of the franchise are undoubtedly pleased to hear that Mass Effect will live on, sans Shepard, it's still a bittersweet piece of news for those who grew accustomed to their particular DudeShep and/or FemShep. Plus, after all the fervor over how FemShep's new hair style would affect gender stereotyping in video games, today's news that the world chose redheaded FemShep to represent female empowerment or something seems just a little less impactful than it would have otherwise. Which is to say, less impactful than already not impactful at all, because Jesus Christ people, it's a goddamned default hairstyle for an editable character in a role-playing game. There are Teen Choice Award voting categories with greater societal meaning than this nonsense.

Oh well, at least this woman will be happy, I guess?

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2168 posts) -

Confirming what some had suspected ever since BioWare revealed that the current Mass Effect series as we know it would conclude as a trilogy, series producer Michael Gamble dropped the bomb on PC Gamer today that Commander Shepard, regardless of whatever gender version of that character you happen to prefer playing as, will no longer be the star of the show following Mass Effect 3.

Say hello to your new lady friend. Then say goodbye, because she ain't stickin' around.

With Mass Effect 3, erm, effectively wrapping up the Shepard storyline, the question then turns to what the future may hold for the franchise in general. According to Dr. Ray Muzyka, the future is still entirely bright for the series.

We have ambitious plans to continue this franchise going forward. Mass Effect 3 is simultaneously a couple of different things: a thrilling and epic conclusion to the trilogy as we promised our fans we'd provide for Commander Shepard, but it's also a brand new beginning - it's an entry point for new fans.

While fans of the franchise are undoubtedly pleased to hear that Mass Effect will live on, sans Shepard, it's still a bittersweet piece of news for those who grew accustomed to their particular DudeShep and/or FemShep. Plus, after all the fervor over how FemShep's new hair style would affect gender stereotyping in video games, today's news that the world chose redheaded FemShep to represent female empowerment or something seems just a little less impactful than it would have otherwise. Which is to say, less impactful than already not impactful at all, because Jesus Christ people, it's a goddamned default hairstyle for an editable character in a role-playing game. There are Teen Choice Award voting categories with greater societal meaning than this nonsense.

Oh well, at least this woman will be happy, I guess?

Staff
#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

OMG SPOILERS jeez....

#3 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

The first thing I"m gonna do when I get ME3 is to change her hair - short and black. F you all ginger junkies!

#4 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#5 Posted by Solh0und (1774 posts) -

That's great news because I rather have it as a trilogy so they can just expand the third game with a ton of DLC.

#6 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1617 posts) -

No matter what they say ... that is NOT the real FemShep!

#7 Posted by rjayb89 (7722 posts) -

Shepard isn't flexible enough, so Garrus reaps Shepard to death.

#8 Posted by UnsungHero (49 posts) -

"There are Teen Choice Award voting categories with greater societal meaning than this nonsense." *claps* well put sir

#9 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite female-empowering hairstyle on the Citadel.

#10 Posted by GeneralZod37 (262 posts) -

I'm ready for a Thane centric ME4!

#11 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -
#12 Posted by Tesla (1923 posts) -

Garrus is the new Shepard.

#13 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja said:

But it is.

#14 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@solh0und said:

That's great news because I rather have it as a trilogy so they can just expand the third game with a ton of DLC.

I dunno, how much DLC is going to be possible?

"Congrats for defeating the reapers and once again saving the universe Shepard, but there are some mercs that you should take down" "FUCK that!, I'm going to sleep!"

If the game is versatile enough maybe they can have 3 be the launching and testing ground for new 'games' Weird idea but i'd love to see that or an epilouge of sorts

#15 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja said:

Jesus Christ, as if the whiners going on about how LadyShep is the "true" Shepard wasn't bad enough, now we have people saying that Bioware's LadyShep isn't the "true" LadyShep? The fuck is wrong with you people.

#16 Posted by AndrewB (7614 posts) -

Wasn't default female Shepard's hair color always red?

#17 Edited by Alex_Carrillo (281 posts) -

So, in the Mass Effect universe humans have all fucked each other to the point where all of humanity sort of looks the same. Everyone is a slightly brown color. It's safe to assume that this FemShep comes from a long line of horribly racist White supremacists who have chosen to inbreed with each other in order to retain their pale skin.

Thanks, White gamers. A racist in-breeder is now the savior of the universe.

#18 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

mass effect 4, starring conrad verner 

#19 Posted by Soap (3592 posts) -

I suppose it's for the best really, I'd rather have a cool trilogy of Shep games and then move on within the universe rather than drag Shep through more and more adventures until everything seems small and stupid.

#20 Posted by Toxin066 (3288 posts) -

Half an article on a hairstyle? I think that's a record.

#21 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -
@phrosnite
The first thing I"m gonna do when I get ME3 is to change her hair - short and black. F you all ginger junkies!
My fiancée is a redhead. So, you know, fuck you right back.

All my video game female characters are lovely redheads.
#22 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

No more Mark Vanderloo as Shepard? Not to be dramatic, but that might kill the entire series for me.

Seeing how this series is now all about SICK MELEE TAKEDOWNS, HUGE EXPLOSIONS and barbiedolls in armor, i'd hate to see what they are creating as their next protagonist.

#23 Posted by ballsnbayonets (156 posts) -

lol at that article "ginger winona rider"
#24 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

Of course Shepard isn't going to be in more games. She is going to die, it is the only way I can see it going down.

#25 Posted by FajitaBoss (65 posts) -

I wanto to kiss goodbye the new female Shepard

#26 Posted by ky326 (255 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
this
#27 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Galiant said:

@phrosnite
My fiancée is a redhead. So, you know, fuck you right back. All my video game female characters are lovely redheads.

You like playing as your wife? That's a little creepy, dude.

#28 Posted by rmanthorp (3949 posts) -

There is a female Shepard? -troll face-

#29 Posted by ITSSEXYTIME (221 posts) -

@damswedon: Knowing Bioware, Shepard will probably interface with the leader reaper and become a reaper himself/herself and then order all the other reapers to leave earth alone.

#30 Posted by Undeadpool (4940 posts) -

This is good news. There's nothing worse than dragging something out for the sake of an easy buck. Ever since it was floated on some Bombcast way back, I've been utterly enamored with the idea of a detective game set on the Citadel. Whatever they choose, I hope they go more intimate and smaller cause really, how do you top "sentient, galaxy eating starships"?

#31 Posted by The_Nubster (2144 posts) -

They can put a poster of whatever Shepard they want, but Mass Effect is about my Shepard. Not poster Shepard.

#32 Posted by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

This is great news. I'm glad they aren't going to drag Shepard out just to use him as the poster boy of mass effect. Can't wait to see what the future holds for the franchise.

#33 Posted by Brendan (7808 posts) -

@Toms115 said:

We demand it!

#34 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -
@iAmJohn

@Galiant said:

@phrosnite
My fiancée is a redhead. So, you know, fuck you right back. All my video game female characters are lovely redheads.

There's a clear distinction between my future wife and the video game characters I play as. One is real and my fiancée, the other is a video game character with red hair.

I just like red hair because I love my fiancée. Don't judge.
#35 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3734 posts) -

"it's a default hairstyle for an editable character in a role-playing game. There are Teen Choice Award voting categories with greater societal meaning than this nonsense." 

It's also the version that is going to be used in all of the advertising, and featured on the collectors edition of the game.  Way to miss the point.

#36 Posted by ProfessorEss (7371 posts) -

Nice to hear. I'm all for both this story ending and the universe continuing. 

#37 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -

@Toms115 said:

I'd play that!

#38 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@Galiant said:
@iAmJohn

@Galiant said:

@phrosnite

There's a clear distinction between my future wife and the video game characters I play as. One is real and my fiancée, the other is a video game character with red hair. I just like red hair because I love my fiancée. Don't judge.
Or he is too afraid of her...
#39 Posted by Alex (2168 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac: Oh, I'm aware of that point. It's still meaningless. While I applaud the fact that BioWare is including the female version of Shepard on the cover of the collector's edition and in the ads, what hair color/style she has is a completely meaningless distinction. FemShep getting promoted is a good thing regardless of whether she's blonde, redhead, black-haired or Sinead O'Connor. It's. A. HAIRCUT.

Staff
#40 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Galiant said:

@iAmJohn

@Galiant said:

@phrosnite

There's a clear distinction between my future wife and the video game characters I play as. One is real and my fiancée, the other is a video game character with red hair. I just like red hair because I love my fiancée. Don't judge.

I was joking.

#41 Edited by falling_fast (2224 posts) -

I don't care what character appears on the cover of the box, and in the trailers which I'm not going to watch. I'm just going to import my female Shepard that I've been playing since Mass Effect 1. who has black hair, incidentally.

I'm glad that they're at least kind of sort of letting it end.

#42 Posted by Jeffk38uk (715 posts) -

Funny, I make any char I play redhead too, so woo on that.

#43 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Another quality Alex article. Seriously. I lurrrve you.

#44 Posted by Cybexx (1173 posts) -

Well of course the follow up you play as Wrex in a hardboiled detective game where you search for Shepard who was lost into the vastness of space after [censored]. You have a dedicated "Shepard" button and if your nearby an NPC he will say it in the form of a question.

Its kind of like that button in Luigi's Mansion which had Luigi shakily vocalize "Maaarriooo" except way better.

#45 Posted by blacklab (1553 posts) -

I'm just going to pretend that none of this is happening.

#46 Posted by bkbroiler (1626 posts) -

Jesus that PC Gamer link was maddening. Who honestly cares that much about something so trivial

#47 Posted by DSale (135 posts) -

God, I love Alex Navarro.

#48 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4746 posts) -

Redheads are hot, so this is okay.

And that article linked at the end is hilarious. Just picture the monstrosity that hates blonds so much.

#49 Posted by kagato (920 posts) -

I think this was expected by most people anyway, infact im sure it was mentioned half a dozen times when they released ME2. I will of course be sad to see the current crew go, but i dont want to see the guys ive grown so fond of be milked until they are themselves husks. Maybe they can have further adventures later, or maybe we will see some of them cameo or co-star later, im totally fine with a fresh new crew for the next game much as im fine with the roster change in the new Gears trilogy.

#50 Posted by enemymouse (332 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

They can put a poster of whatever Shepard they want, but Mass Effect is about my Shepard. Not poster Shepard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.