I recently decided to pull out my C64 and make it work. It does...barely. I now have some questions that might expedite the process of making it work better
1. Can I just use an Atari joystick, or did the typical C64 stick have more buttons?
2. Is it normal for the disc drive to stop spinning and games to continue loading, or does that mean that it's frozen?
3. What are the usual words for loading software from a disc? A few of the discs that I have include boot instructions (usually "menu" or "chlr"), but most don't.
4. I'm using an RF adapter to connect to my TV and it looks AWFUL. It gets even worse when I plug the disk drive in. I have a y/w/r RCA cable, but of course my TV doesn't take a luminescence/chroma signal. Does anybody know of a way around this short of making my own s-video cable? At the very least, what can I do about the disk drive issue?
5. Is there an external keyboard available?
6. Sometimes when I use the cursor keys, it starts printing symbols. Why is this?
7. Is there any kind of options menu in the basic (ha!) OS, or is it just load and run?
8. Is there a way to get it to list the available commands?