Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Company of Heroes

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 11, 2006

This action packed strategy game lets you take control of Able Company on the shores of 1944 France, pushing the Nazis back into Germany.

Company of Heroes - Recommended Specs?

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xruntime

I could use the auto select specs thing, but it seems to underestimate my system (I get great FPSs, runs smooth, just looks pretty bad when I set everything to Low)

I have 2.8 ghz processor, 128 mb graphics card, 512 mb ram

What's the best I can get out of this game without getting too few frames per second? I think I want to turn on antialiasing because the jaggies in this game are ugly and noticeable.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Thats your PC, you have to be joking. What OS do you have Windows 98?

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xruntime

It's pretty ignorant to think that everyone has a high end graphics card and processor and all. I'd bet the majority of computers in use in the world do not even have a graphics card and have 512 mb of ram or less.

I know its not the greatest, but its what I have, and I made this thread to find out the best settings for my configuration.

nameeater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By nameeater

This is really quite a flexible question, do you leave other apps running while playing? firewall, AV, game matching software (xfire)? What make is all your hardware, is it overclocked, is it a quality brand, what drivers do you have installed? And I'm sure there is more questions that could be asked. So its hard to say on a case by case basis. In reality it will come down to playing with the settings and running the performance test. My advice would be to start off with everything on low/off, do the test to find out your best minimum FPS then work your way up to a level where you're still happy with the minimum FPS and then try it in an actual game/skirmish.

Good luck. :)

Terrellism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Terrellism

Actually, all current PCs normally come with at least 2 gigs of ram. Your best bet is to totally upgrade your PC or get a new one. Its gonna cost you though. I recenty got a $800 desktop which runs Vista and it can't run Company of Heroes. So your gonna have to spend a lot to run CoH because it uses a lot of stuff off your graphics card.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Scorched

add 512mb of ram and you'll get a pretty good performance boost
    should probably get a 256mb card too

prodromus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By prodromus

Shadows and trees can hit performance pretty hard so make sure those are turned down or off.  Otherwise, I'd say set the resolution and AA you want and then tweak your settings up until it's not playable, then push them down to the last playable configuration.  If you plan to play 4v4 or the like online then you'll need to leave some head room to account for the larger maps and extra units running around. 

If you can upgrade you should, ram is cheap and getting up to 1 gb will help quit a bit.  We could give better advice if we knew specifically what processor and graphics card you had. 

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Artie

Yeah if you got a cheap video card (like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085) then you could really improve A LOT of the settings. And more RAM (1GB or 2GB, shouldn't be THAT expensive) will also help a ton.

The problem with COH is that it only has two settings for most of the stuff. Low or High. As mentioned before Shadows really cramp your machine, and Anti Alias past x4 probably isn't necessary. That's all I got though.

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By kenya24

If you need to upgrade your machine for this game, just get the super reasonably priced Intell Q6600 quad core processor and a NVidia 8800GT. Then you can play pretty much anything. RAM is cheap as dirt so get at least 2GB.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xruntime
    TROJAN_IMPALA said:
    "Actually, all current PCs normally come with at least 2 gigs of ram. Your best bet is to totally upgrade your PC or get a new one. Its gonna cost you though. I recenty got a $800 desktop which runs Vista and it can't run Company of Heroes. So your gonna have to spend a lot to run CoH because it uses a lot of stuff off your graphics card."
    I'm getting a new laptop soon...

Most new computers have 2 GB of ram, but many people are still using the same computer they bought years ago. Like myself....

Anyways thanks for the suggestions of  hardware, but I'm definitely going with a laptop

sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sdauz

hey 2 GB RAM, 2.16 Ghz Core2 (like 3 years old), 500 GB SATA, and a 7950 GT 512MB (which used to be such a good card) and i can play with all the details on VERY HIGH, the only thing is that AA must BE ZERO....otherwise the framerate crwals to a halt. plus on high resolution 1680x1050 u dont really need AA.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Demyx
    xruntime said:
    "TROJAN_IMPALA said:
    "Actually, all current PCs normally come with at least 2 gigs of ram. Your best bet is to totally upgrade your PC or get a new one. Its gonna cost you though. I recenty got a $800 desktop which runs Vista and it can't run Company of Heroes. So your gonna have to spend a lot to run CoH because it uses a lot of stuff off your graphics card."
    I'm getting a new laptop soon...

Most new computers have 2 GB of ram, but many people are still using the same computer they bought years ago. Like myself....

Anyways thanks for the suggestions of  hardware, but I'm definitely going with a laptop

"
    laptops are not upgradeable for the most part unless you really know what you're doing, and are usually more expensive than the equivalent of a desktop.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By lucas_kelly

I wouldn't even bother playing it with those specs, it would look terrible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.