Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Computer

Object » linked to 544 games

A computer is a common object in video games. They can be used for many purposes; to trigger objects - such as a lift or a bomb, gather information, or even to play games.

Buying a new gaming PC.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Slurpelve

My old PC is finally Dying after several years and I need to considering about a buying a new PC.

Any suggestions?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

What is your budget?

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Slurpelve

@Kidavenger: $400-$700

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kidavenger

$500 would be a bare minimum if you are able to build it yourself; you should post what you have now, if you have components that can be reused like the operating system, case or power supply it will open up your options on cpu and gpu quite a bit.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Slurpelve

@Kidavenger: I kind of gave it though to build it , But Im a newbie and I probely got only Ram and some other things.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kidavenger
    ebag3587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ebag3587

I have to be honest, if this is going to be your first build I would pony up and get something a little bit nicer. You might be disappointed with what you get for 500 bucks even when you DIY. Sweet spot for budget PC is 700-850 in my opinion.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Slurpelve

@Kidavenger: Thanks this looks great, I going to check at other places too.

@ebag3587: Yea I expecting the same thing, so I can wait for some months.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By mordukai

@BadSniper52: With that budget you will have to build it your own. Frankly I'd suggest you start reading about this subject and up your budget too. I say for a budget rig go with a 700-900 bucks. Besides building one is not all that hard. The thing you must invest the most is your CPU and GPU. The rest you don't have to go all out.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I have a question to piggy back off this guy, in general is amd still the best choice for budget gaming pc's, or is the low end intel stuff competitive?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kidavenger

AMD is good enough for most gamers right now, but Intel offers higher end stuff, and even their budget stuff competes with AMD's top end stuff in terms of price and performance.

Basically if you are spending under $200 on a cpu, it doesn't matter AMD or Intel; if you are planning to spend more than that it's just Intel.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By BiG_Weasel

You can build a decent rig for $700-900 bucks, sure. Just try to reuse as much of your current PC as you can. Hard drives, DVD drives, case etc may all be compatible. If you only need a mobo, RAM, CPU and GPU you can easily do it for that amount of scratch.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slurpelve

@mordukai: That why I was thinking I should wait a little longer to thinking about building but Im going to see if I can just buy a gaming PC.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai

@BadSniper52: If you buy one you'll pay almost double for the same hardware as you would if you build one. it's really not that hard man. Everything is pretty much self explanatory and I'm sure you'll also have a friend who can help you out. Seriously man. Building one is the best way to go.

Just start on new egg. There are loads of people here who can help you out.

daveyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By daveyd

If you are uncomfortable building your own PC / don't want to bother with the headaches (installing drivers, dealing with possible incompatible or defective parts, etc.), then I'd recommend either Digital Storm Online or Magic Mirco.  But you're probably going to need a budget of at least $1000 to get anything with decent components from those sites. 

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By subject2change

@mordukai said:

@BadSniper52: If you buy one you'll pay almost double for the same hardware as you would if you build one. it's really not that hard man. Everything is pretty much self explanatory and I'm sure you'll also have a friend who can help you out. Seriously man. Building one is the best way to go.

Double? That is just flat out wrong.

There are plenty of sites he can use to do a build for you and only charge a minor mark up on parts and a $50 build fee. Even a DELL doesn't mark up double.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai

@Subject2Change said:

@mordukai said:

There are plenty of sites he can use to do a build for you and only charge a minor mark up on parts and a $50 build fee. Even a DELL doesn't mark up double.

ALMOST. As in not quite, very near. :P

Joking aside. All I know is that last year a friend of mine got an alien ware (that's dell, right?) pc and he ended up paying slightly over $1400 and this year I build one that's really close to the specs he got and I just nudged the $900+ mark. That's still now double, even though I never really said you'll pay double, it's still a huge mark up. So he ended up paying about $400 for labor and for some guy to hit the frequency multiplier in his BIOS. He could have just taken that extra money and get a much better graphics card. He got a pair of 460's when and he could have just gotten a 580.

I get the connivance in buying one, especially if you never put one before and have fear you'll screw things up but imo the benefits that comes with building one outweigh any sort of connivance that might come with a pre-made one.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By subject2change

@mordukai said:

@Subject2Change said:

@mordukai said:

ALMOST. As in not quite, very near. :P

Joking aside. All I know is that last year a friend of mine got an alien ware (that's dell, right?) pc and he ended up paying slightly over $1400 and this year I build one that's really close to the specs he got and I just nudged the $900+ mark. That's still now double, even though I never really said you'll pay double, it's still a huge mark up. So he ended up paying about $400 for labor and for some guy to hit the frequency multiplier in his BIOS. He could have just taken that extra money and get a much better graphics card. He got a pair of 460's when and he could have just gotten a 580.

I get the connivance in buying one, especially if you never put one before and have fear you'll screw things up but imo the benefits that comes with building one outweigh any sort of connivance that might come with a pre-made one.

You bought the same/similar hardware a year later, at a reduced price. Hardware prices drop (for the most part) fairly quickly especially video cards and mid-range CPUs. Things that stay at the same price or similar is PSUs, Hard Drives (now) and RAM after it's the new thing (DDR2 is now more expensive than DDR3); as well as the high end CPUs for older sockets or just well established CPUs (like the 2500k) as well as my older Q9550 still runs for about 300; 3 years later. 1400 to 900 is NOT 50% at the time he prob would of spent about 1200 to self build and for 200 bucks to have a warranty and a "custom" case is not that bad of a premium. I however like to build my own and not be restricted by an OEM boards restrictions.

1400 for an Alienware is fairly cheap by todays standards, when they were the OMG PC; you would expect to pay no less than 2k for an Alienware Desktop and no less than 2500 for a laptop.

All of those "Gamer PC" sites run about the same. You are paying for building and warranty, with a markup of about 10-20% off of RETAIL prices (they get them at a far much lower rate than you and I pay from NewEgg.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.