Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Computer

Object » linked to 543 games

A computer is a common object in video games. They can be used for many purposes; to trigger objects - such as a lift or a bomb, gather information, or even to play games.

Need Help on Computer Problem

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GJSmitty

Hey, I posted this on Tested, but thought I might as well post it here, to get as much help as possible.
     I'm having a problem with my computer that I'm not sure how to fix, and was hoping maybe you guys could help.  So, I had speakers plugged into the back, and I went to unplug them and plug in my headphones, as I've done many times before.  But, when I plugged in my headphones, I came back up and the computer was frozen.  I wasn't too worried, I just turned it off with the button.  When I tried turning it on though, it seemed to turn on normally, but my monitor said it didn't have a signal.  My keyboard also didn't turn on, but my mouse did.  I tried restarting again, but nothing.  I checked the cords, and everything was in tightly. 

So I went to eat dinner, and when I came back I tried turning it on again.  To my surprise, the monitor turned on.  But, after the boot screen, the screen just went blank.  I turned it off, and got into the screen where you can diagnose the problem on start up.  I ran the diagnoses, but it said everything was working fine.  The only tip it gave me was to unplug any devices I had put in then restart.  I went to the back, and unplugged my headphones that I had plugged in.  But as I was getting through the jumble of cords, my hand knocked against the mouse cord and it came loose.  I plugged it back in, but it wasn't working anymore.  So, I turned my computer off.  When I tried turning it back on, the screen once again said "No Signal" and has been like that ever since.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it?

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By GJSmitty

Additional Info: I recently put in a new stick of RAM, but that was 2 weeks ago.  My computer is fairly new, I built it at the beginning of summer.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By l4wd0g

This is shooting from the hip, but it sounds like it maybe a motherboard issue.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GJSmitty
    @slurmisaninja: Actually, at the moment, the PC will turn on seemingly normally, but the monitor isn't getting a signal, and the keyboard won't turn on.
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By the_hiro_abides

This sort of thing I find is trial and error. If you can I would plug into a different monitor and/or keyboard.

Is the keyboard USB? I imagine it is.

Regardless it does sound like a power supply or mobo issue. Although it always seems like power supply is the more common issue.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GJSmitty
    @The_Hiro_Abides: My motherboard is very new, but I've had my power supply for awhile, so that would probably be the more likely problem.  And yes, my keyboard is USB. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.