What Was Up With That Contra Teaser At the End of the Konami Press Conference?

• 82 results
Posted by Alex (2385 posts) -

You will be forgiven if you missed the final stinger at the end of Konami's pre-E3 2011 press conference. After all, that would have meant sitting through to the very end of Konami's pre-E3 2011 press conference, and that's asking an awful lot of anyone.

This is erotic for so many different reasons...

However, if you did bow out a little early, you actually missed what might be the most exciting (possible) revelation to come out of the whole, dull affair. Right at about the 54:30 mark of the conference video--which you could actually skip to at any point, since the whole conference was pre-recorded and not live--a quick flash of a burning "C" pops up, followed by the words "They're coming..."

Unless this is some mean-spirited jerk's way of announcing a Cybernator reboot, this pretty much has to be a new Contra game of some fashion. Who wants to play, "Name the platform you'd most want to see a new Contra game on?" Ready... GO!

#1 Posted by Alex (2385 posts) -

You will be forgiven if you missed the final stinger at the end of Konami's pre-E3 2011 press conference. After all, that would have meant sitting through to the very end of Konami's pre-E3 2011 press conference, and that's asking an awful lot of anyone.

This is erotic for so many different reasons...

However, if you did bow out a little early, you actually missed what might be the most exciting (possible) revelation to come out of the whole, dull affair. Right at about the 54:30 mark of the conference video--which you could actually skip to at any point, since the whole conference was pre-recorded and not live--a quick flash of a burning "C" pops up, followed by the words "They're coming..."

Unless this is some mean-spirited jerk's way of announcing a Cybernator reboot, this pretty much has to be a new Contra game of some fashion. Who wants to play, "Name the platform you'd most want to see a new Contra game on?" Ready... GO!

#2 Posted by ShadowFire01 (48 posts) -

aaand scene

#3 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

Ooooh coool.

#4 Posted by rmanthorp (4054 posts) -

BOOM!

#5 Posted by Mesklinite (814 posts) -

Gameboy!!

#6 Posted by Solh0und (1849 posts) -

Contra 3 Alien Wars HD + Contra Shattered Soldier HD plus Neo Contra.  

Boom! Calling it!

#7 Posted by Snowboarder75 (49 posts) -

I wanna Transfarr it to my PSP1

#8 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

If they go back to making a solid side scrolling shooter like the original, I'd be all in. 

#9 Posted by shadystx (182 posts) -

It's difficult to say, Part of me would love a big budget 360,ps3,pc Contra but on the other hand a new contra for xbla,psn sticking with the old formula would be good also, think i would prefer the latter, It was not that difficult to say after all, Dont know why I said that at the start but not going back and deleting now since ive added a few more lines of nonsense.

#10 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

Contra ported to iOS!!!!!

#11 Posted by cheddartyme (132 posts) -

will this game also feature megadeath

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Contra 4 EX: Missile Rider! 

Coming Holiday Season 2011 for the 3DS!

#13 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -

Since at the end it said it was by Konami Digital I assume it will be a PSN/XBLA game instead of a full-retail release

#14 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Wasn't Hard Corps: Uprising supposed to be the new Contra?

#15 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

PPFFFFFTTTT whatever, the ZOE reveal was way better. JEHUTY IN 1080 P

#16 Posted by DarkbeatDK (1368 posts) -

Calling it now. 
New 3rd person coverbased shooter set in the "Contra Universe"

#17 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I still have a sealed copy of Contra 4 around here somewhere.

#18 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

My money is on Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo announcing it as a console exclusive and reveal it at their press event next week.

#20 Posted by HubrisRanger (488 posts) -

Yeah, kinda curious what the eff that was myself. I suspect they're trying to find a way to advance the Contra franchise into modern standards without making it really fucking shitty. 

I'm kinda skeptical.

#22 Posted by dvorak (1497 posts) -

It needs to be a castlevania style game. That would rock. Plus, it would be the right company to make it.

#23 Edited by afrokola (547 posts) -

Contra 5 for consoles, maybe? I kind of hope it's for the 3DS and/or Vista, Contra 4 on DS was really fun.

#24 Posted by yami4ct (156 posts) -
@DarkbeatDK said:
Calling it now.  New 3rd person coverbased shooter set in the "Contra Universe"
That's exactly what I was thinking as well. I doubt they'd go out of their way to tease a portable or download based contra, what a normal 2D one would have to be. It must be some sort of weird 3D contra on a home console. Maybe project Cafe?
#25 Posted by briangodsoe (484 posts) -

Contra 4 HD on project Cafe with Transfarring? 

#26 Posted by Oy (280 posts) -

Contra Collection HD...with Tranfarring support.

#27 Posted by ribeye (411 posts) -

i hope it's 2D

#28 Posted by WrathOfBanja (355 posts) -

TI-84

#29 Posted by Marokai (3141 posts) -
"You will be forgiven if you missed the final stinger at the end of  Konami's pre-E3 2011 press conference."

I hope so, since I was watching it on Giant Bomb.
#30 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2443 posts) -

Who cares about a new Contra?

There's nothing about Contra that calls for a reboot or update. We already have good third-person shooters. Contra 4 was the most they needed to do with the series, so maybe just do another of those for 3DS. Or don't.

#31 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2398 posts) -

Third person shooter Contra. I want it.

#32 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

WayForward developing The Contra. For PSN and XBLA and the CafeNet

#33 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2402 posts) -

I've only ever beaten the first Contra but I still can't wait to see what this turns out to be!

#34 Posted by AuthenticM (3802 posts) -

PSN and XBLA

#35 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

HD Alien Wars. GO!

#36 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Probably gonna be a downloadable title. Not expecting much. Not excited. 

#37 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3508 posts) -

If it's like 4 or ReBirth in HD that'd be sick. 

#38 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Will it have Transfarring?

#39 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -

Why are people assuming it's Contra?

#40 Posted by Eribuster (511 posts) -

The iconic C of Contra! 
I hope this won't turn out to be some first-person or third person shooter Call of Duty or Gears of War clone. I can't see things turning out well if that is so.

#41 Posted by aidros (244 posts) -

New XBLA release would be sweet with 4 player splitscreen

#42 Posted by EPGPX (287 posts) -
@Xpgamer7 said:
Third person shooter Contra. I want it.
FPS Contra finally coming, a la "Gears of War" style but cooler and more bad-ass. Hooray!
#43 Posted by Shaanyboi (1342 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
Because that's the Contra logo?  That's the 'C' in just about EVERY Contra game?
#44 Posted by SlaveOne (10 posts) -

XBLA please.

#45 Posted by m0rdr3d (472 posts) -

I figure the safe route would be XBLA and PSN.  And, since I have not a 3DS, I hope it's XBLA.  Eh, what do I care? It's likely gonna be the same old uninspired shit.

#46 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -
@Shaanyboi said:
@GunslingerPanda said:
Because that's the Contra logo?  That's the 'C' in just about EVERY Contra game?
Oh, right. Fair enough. I'm unfamiliar with Contra.
#47 Posted by Silver-Streak (1382 posts) -

All platforms. I want it on everything. 3DS, NGP, PSN, XBLA, Wii download nonsense. Everything. except maybe disc release. They'd have to make a /really/ compelling argument for a Contra to be worth more than $10 in today's age

#48 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Contra rearmed coming to xbla/PSN

#49 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (451 posts) -

i'll take a new Contra or a new Cybernator

#50 Posted by Landru (47 posts) -
@PollySMPS said:
Contra was listed among franchises coming to 3DS last year, wasn't it?  My bet's on that or a Bionic Commando-style 3D shooter with some kind of dumb cover-based shooting mechanic and "epic" plot.     Either way, "They're coming" sounds awful reboot'ish to me. EXACTLY WHAT CONTRA NEEDS!
I hope it's some kind of reboot. If they do a BC: Rearmed style remake I don't think I'm interested because my days of playing hard-as-balls 2D shooters is over. 
But the essence of Contra is army dudes fighting aliens, so I think they've got a real battle reimagining the game without making it some kind of inferior version of GOW or Halo or Killzone or etc...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.