What the hell is up with the cover?

#1 Edited by tastyhouse (113 posts) -

I've played this game dozens of times when I had my nintendo but never really noticed until just now...I count no less than 3 blatant ripoffs of IP on the cover of this game.  To the left you have schwarzenegger in the predator, in the middle you have the alien from....well....alien and on the right you have a rambo wannabe.  Somebody obviously didn't put too much thought into this cover.  He probably looked at the movies that were out that week and slapped them on the box.   

#2 Posted by carlthenimrod (1599 posts) -

At least it is better than the Metal Gear box-art for NES.

Metal Gear / Kyle Reese (Terminator)
#3 Edited by tastyhouse (113 posts) -

hmmm touche... 

#4 Posted by IceColdGamer (605 posts) -

Ha, I've never noticed the Predator reference, but yea, that totally is Arny's bod from the cover.

#5 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

Ha!  At first glance, there doesn't even look like anything is wrong! 

#6 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

It was the 80s. And also: Japan.

#7 Posted by Natesaint (146 posts) -

I think that's what they were going for, big burly men resembling action heroes of the time. Besides, who else could save the galaxy from Red Falcon?
#8 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@tastyhouse said:
hmmm touche... 

I swear to god that i thought that was the original cover. I just noticed that something was wrong because of the Alien.
#9 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

lol, I looked at the cover before I read what you said was being ripped off, and I matched what you said exactly.

#10 Posted by TheLastNeo (443 posts) -

@tastyhouse said:

hmmm touche...

Well done sir, well done. lol

#11 Posted by Sportsplosion (19 posts) -

I feel like copyright wasn't as worried about back then because:

1. Not a totally litigious society yet in the 80s

2. Japan, which doesn't have such strict copyright laws as the US

3. Video games may have been popular, but not to the level they are now where they outsell everything.

Now everybody go play the first two Call of Duty games and count the number of movies each level rips off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.