Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Contrast

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

A game developed by a small independent company called Compulsion Games. A puzzle platformer that plays with shadows and mixes 3D with 2D perspectives.

Contrast is dissapointing at every turn...

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

One of the main reasons I chose a ps3 over an xbox is the, essentially, two free pack in games that come with the ps3 resogun and contrast. I know contrast was added later, after drive club was delayed, but it looked interesting enough from screenshots, and including it, essentially, with every playstation made me think Sony had some faith in it.

What were they thinking?

I'm about three fourths of the way through contrast and I wouldn't be able to tell you what it's about. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because contrast aptly has contrasting positives and negatives. The lack of story cohesion might be intentional. Or it might not. It's all up in the air at this point.

But what is not up in the air is the fact that contrast plays like butt. It both looks and feels like a third person game made from an fps mod-kit, like in the quake 3 days. I frequently find myself stuck on geometry in a manner I haven't felt since the ps1 days. One time I actually had to quit out of the game due to being trapped on something and unable to escape.

But the real letdown about contrast is its horrible game design. Hese are the decisions that took place before hand ever hit keyboard. For instance, the game is ostensibly about a superhero with the ability to merge with their shadow and use the shadows of other objects to run across. This is a fantastic idea and the manifestation of a game all kids played, just like wondering what it would be like to walk on the ceiling and racing raindrops on car windshields during road trips. The problem is, instead of setting the game at NOON when contrast would be greatest and shadows would be more apparent, they set the game in he middle of the night where shadows are everywhere. In theory, this COUlD just provide more opportunities to use the players power. In reality, it just means that the game ignores it's own rules and only let's players merge with the shadows when the game wants you to. Usually when there's a random projector around. This inconsistency In and of itself almost entire deflates contrast. The fun and games implied by the games premise almost never happen. Make no mistake, when the game is doing what it promises, it's actually really quite something. There is a short section I. The. Idle of the game that cleverly abandons the problems of the game design to Retreat entirely into a 2d limboesque sequence. It's almost easy to forget about contrasts problems as it does this scene so well. But then it ends and you're left to remember that much of this game stinks.

The writing is ncreadibly uneven, bordering on terrible. Much of it is saved by fantastic voice acting, but much of it is beyond saving. It is a common trait for hack writers to want to write little girls. After all little girls are vulnerable. vulnerability makes for emotional writing. The problem is most have writers don't know how to write little girls. The main character in contrast, Didi, is written anywhere between five and 11 years old. One second she saying things like "mommy, when is daddyy coming home "in the next second she saying things like "we need to like that beacon!" Or "I bet he's in the control room!" At one point didi asks "daddy, what's a taunt? ". Oh sure you know what a beacon is but you don't know what a taunt is? The poor writing seeks to undermine the emotional depth that contrast is trying to achieve.

It's not all bad however. Contrast manages to be gorgeous even despite its technical faults. Many ideas the game presents are solid. If they chose to make a contrast 2, I hope they spend more time working on the game to make it more solid and fix the problems this disappointing game has

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I should add that when I see contrast is beautiful, I mean that it is stylistically pretty. I do not mean that it looks in anyway like a PS four games. It does not. I am completely baffled why Sony would want to give this game away with every PlayStation 4.

BantrosBantros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By BantrosBantros

It looked poor to me from the very first trailer. Would have much preferred a cut down driveclub for launch. Probably won't get it, even if it is free when PS4 finally launches in the UK.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JazGalaxy

The drive club that was supposed to be free on pen was already a cut down version so I guess nothing about the game was ready

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Contrast looks visually interesting, but other than that, can't say I've had much interest in it.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I guess the reviews were right.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By FoolishChaos

I love how everyone keeps calling the ps4 the ps3

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to edit that but I'm on my ipad and it's too difficult to be worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really enjouyed it, the seemless blend of 3D and 2D worked well and I loved the setting. Though ACT 2 carries the game pretty hard with the most interesting environmental sets being thrown at you almost entirely in that act it doesn't quite hold it well enough to be a great game but it most certainly was a memorable and enjoyable experience. Not particularly hard, some might even argue a tad easy, but it was immersive enough to get a free pass in my books. The moment the game turns into a 2d Platformer exclusively for about 10minutes (as the OP mentions) is the clear highlight for me and genuinely funny as well, this bit was very well written... sharp, and totally caught my imagination... it was at this moment the game lived up to my lofty expectations despite using none of the mechanics 2D/3D interaction I'd been looking forward to & it was a fantastic diversion & pound for pound one of the highest high points of any game to come out this year.

But I've said this a lot about the game, the girl is really poorly written and has terrible emotional cues... especially at the end of act 1 where the game dives into parody for an entire scene (and completely unintentionally I might add)

Where the mother goes from saying she never wants to see the ex husband ever again, wanting to shoot her ex husband, to threatening to kill herself, to revealing to the daughter that he's not the real father to taking him back in the matter of 10 - 20 seconds (and I'm not even exaggerating here) and the reaction of the daughter who saw all of that ?!??!?! A very limp 'yay he's comming' and 'hes not my father' (and that's all the dialogue she has) delivered with little to no emotion and back to back and suddenly you're in the daughters room. This scene almost DESTROYED the entire game for me but luckily it didn't get remotely close to being that desperate for a reaction again for the entirety of the game after that.

If I ran a Metacritic approved site I'd review it a 75, but it could've been better but I think the setting and premise alone saved it for me and I loved their take on audio logs and how they relate to collectibles but even these could've been implemented in a more varied way because once you've solved one you've solved them all. But that being said I still think I love this game and experience a lot more than my review score would suggest but I cant mislead people :) I found the whole thing very engrossing is all.

+ Awesome soundtrack

+ Great Visual Design

+ A handful of awesome moments

+ Is never boring

+ Some great voice acting

+ Great Word

- The concept is underutilized

- The protagonist is poorly written with large chunks of dialogue feeling disingenuous and inconsistent with the obstacles the character currently faces

- The game has quite a lot of bugs, though none of them were game breaking

- Controls can be a bit temperamental

I'd recommended it to people who want an artistic game and like the appeal of the Noir setting but people looking for a mechanical masterpiece will be disappointed. It's beautiful and sometmes downright inspirational but gameplay wise it falls short quite often and if you're looking for a well written story you won't find it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. I had to quit out within fifteen minutes of starting the game because I encountered a game-breaking bug. Fantastic.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ripelivejam

undoubtedly the worst ps3 launch game in existence.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looked kinda bad and it looked like the performance was shit when I saw the GB guys playing it on PS4.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

I don't really have an opinion here but this appears to be someone overvaluing a game, especially since it is an indie and launch game. Yes it is on a console and yes it is a high profile release but it is still an indie produced game which are highly variable in quality. You can get a very stellar game out of an indie production but you can also get a lackluster results as well.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

I don't really have an opinion here but this appears to be someone overvaluing a game, especially since it is an indie and launch game. Yes it is on a console and yes it is a high profile release but it is still an indie produced game which are highly variable in quality. You can get a very stellar game out of an indie production but you can also get a lackluster results as well.

Sounds about right. I think some might have elevated expectations for it simply because Sony is using it as a PS+ bonus at launch.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By tourgen

The game plays like ass. The camera is bad, as in a bad PS2 bad camera. The character movement and animations aren't good either. Jumping really stands out as rotten and not tuned, like they just threw in a constant velocity profile and said fuck it, good enough.

Visually it's alright except there aren't many animated character models so mostly it just feels empty. The soundtrack is alright. Maybe the best thing about the game and fits with the setting although neither are really that interesting to me.

I think it was just ready for launch so it's what we get. I would have rather had just about anything else though.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By kaos_cracker

It's fine for an indie game. I plan on finishing it, I just think it could be better. But hey, why complain when you got it for free, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaos_cracker: *troll bait* Because these are people playing it on the PS4 and they've now got nothing to play :3 *troll bait*

I dunno I think some people got the impression this would be close to AAA standards when the reality is the game was produced by 8 people *shrugs*

It's not perfect but not nearly as bad as a lot of people in this thread are making out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine for an indie game. I plan on finishing it, I just think it could be better. But hey, why complain when you got it for free, right?

Being an indie game doesn't immunize it from criticism.

Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Man, I don't know. I just finished it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hate to say "you just don't get it", but maybe its brand of puzzle isn't for you? I'll certainly admit that it's a little uneven in patches. I couldn't stand the puppet show portion, for example, as it was a better idea in concept than execution. The main criticism I'd level against it is that it's painfully short. Aside from that, though, I enjoyed the music, art style, puzzles and to a lesser extent the story (which I felt could have done with a more satisfying resolution).

I paid out real cash monies for it on PC and enjoyed my experience enough to hope that the idea get revisited for a larger scale game.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

But those CURVES!

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By Raven10

From the various reviews it sounds like this game could have used a couple extra months of polish. Seems like the type of thing where Sony would have been screwed if they had to delay this game after already delaying Driveclub so they had them release it before they were ready. Shame. The concept is great. Wish the execution lived up to it.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished it today. In the end, it's "cute". It manages to be endearing. But it's still horribly designed. Also, the giant bomb summary of the game? And interviews with the developers explaining what the game is about? 100% NOT what the game is about.

Playing it I got flashbacks to NES era games where the description in the manual for the game us not at all the plot of the game.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how everyone keeps calling the ps4 the ps3

Yeah. I think its kind of like when the new year comes. It takes a while for people to switch their brain over.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I like the game, but just encountered a glitch that might make me have to start all over.

I'm on the part where you have to fix the three carnival rides, and on the last one (for me, anyway) the carousel part, it won't let me put luminaries into the box to get it started. I have enough of them, and even restarted the game, and the PS4, but it still doesn't work.

Kinda bummed, but would be worse if I paid for it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the game, but just encountered a glitch that might make me have to start all over.

I'm on the part where you have to fix the three carnival rides, and on the last one (for me, anyway) the carousel part, it won't let me put luminaries into the box to get it started. I have enough of them, and even restarted the game, and the PS4, but it still doesn't work.

Kinda bummed, but would be worse if I paid for it.

The game seems to have a number of game-breaking bugs like that. It really needed more time in QA.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5
    deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game was completely OK other than some weird bugs and some annoying puzzle design. Felt like I really never understood the rules of the world despite beating the game though.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Contrast still looks like an excellent idea.

But I first took notice of this game when it was a Steam Greenlight game, so I'm more curious, did they happen to get extra funding for their PS4 launch? And if so, was that more of the problem with a release date and poor management?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

Played a bit of this earlier on the PS4. It seems ok, the jumping and movement are a little stiff and imprecise, and the art is beautiful until it starts moving like badly animated puppets. The frame rate can drop really badly at times, it was instantly noticeable in the bedroom at the beginning.

It has an interesting premise with good music, and according to the trophies it seems really, really short. It's hard to complain about a free download and it seems like it is worth finishing.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DonMFJohnson

Played this on my PS4, seemed ok. My first 100% trophy game.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah, I was fairly disappointed when I finally tried to play it. It definitely had some neat ideas, but the execution wasn't entirely there. It's still an ok game though.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It lasted less than a hour on my PS4. Not impressed at all

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just couldn't make myself to finish the game even though i wanted to. There really aren't something horribly wrong with the game, it just is so mediocre from graphical and gameplay perspective.

I didn't have any expectations for this, but i hope they would have polished it little more and made the puzzles more fun and less like a chore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.