The Latest On Copernicus, Field Goal Kickers

Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -
"Copernicus"
Reports out of the New York Comic Con make it sound like there's some decent stuff there for people who like games, including the power duo of Prototype and Infamous, and the unveiling of Unbound Saga for the PSP. Curt Schilling's 38 Studios also participated in a panel at the show where it talked a bit about its upcoming MMO project, currently code-named Copernicus. 38's Thom Ang was on-hand to essentially say very little about the game, only slightly betraying the panel's subtitle, "How I Learned to Talk on Panels Without Saying Anything." The tidbit of info is that the game will look a lot like its concept art, as the artists at 38 stick with the game through the entire process, from concept to environmental modeling.

Speaking of concept art, maybe we'll see a sweet Peter Moore-like monster in Copernicus. That's not part of a bet between EA's Moore and 38's Schilling that has Peter Moore attempting to kick a 50-yard field goal after his radical kicking abilities came up during a business meeting last year. But that didn't stop 38 Studios benefactor Todd McFarlane from sketching up this likeness of the EA Sports kingpin anyway. Take a look:

(Click here to see full-size image!)

I have to imagine we'll start hearing more actual details about Copernicus later this year.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -
"Copernicus"
Reports out of the New York Comic Con make it sound like there's some decent stuff there for people who like games, including the power duo of Prototype and Infamous, and the unveiling of Unbound Saga for the PSP. Curt Schilling's 38 Studios also participated in a panel at the show where it talked a bit about its upcoming MMO project, currently code-named Copernicus. 38's Thom Ang was on-hand to essentially say very little about the game, only slightly betraying the panel's subtitle, "How I Learned to Talk on Panels Without Saying Anything." The tidbit of info is that the game will look a lot like its concept art, as the artists at 38 stick with the game through the entire process, from concept to environmental modeling.

Speaking of concept art, maybe we'll see a sweet Peter Moore-like monster in Copernicus. That's not part of a bet between EA's Moore and 38's Schilling that has Peter Moore attempting to kick a 50-yard field goal after his radical kicking abilities came up during a business meeting last year. But that didn't stop 38 Studios benefactor Todd McFarlane from sketching up this likeness of the EA Sports kingpin anyway. Take a look:

(Click here to see full-size image!)

I have to imagine we'll start hearing more actual details about Copernicus later this year.
Staff
#2 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

Liverpool!

#3 Posted by Mjolnir (456 posts) -

I'm not an MMO guy, but I'm curious to see what those dudes are working on.

#4 Posted by lafigueroa (37 posts) -

Same here

#5 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

Curt, Todd, and Rich are part of this, so I think its going to be great, whatever it is; but the secrecy of this game is starting too anger me, FINE 38! I WANT TO KNOW ALL ABOUT IT.

#6 Posted by Kohe321 (3529 posts) -

Cool. All though I wish Rich Gallup and Copernicus all the best, there is no denying how hard it is to make it in the MMO industry at the moment. AOC came and went, warhammer is heading downhill fast (from what I hear/read), and these have been amongst the most hyped ones. Hopefully Copernicus will do good!

#7 Edited by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Bring me an MMO that is fresh, that is new, that is artsy. Satisfy these conditions, and I will play. Oh how.

EDIT: medieval stereotypes need not apply.

#8 Posted by ZombiePie (5673 posts) -

It looks interesting, but on Peter Moore, I think he can kick a 50 yard field goal.

#9 Posted by AdventChild (189 posts) -

Damn Liverpool.

#10 Posted by solidlife (878 posts) -

Get out liverpool

#11 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

This year? That's soon!

#12 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

How can you have an article about 38 studio's and not mention the legendary rich gallup. It's blasphemy!!!!!

Anyway, the next time you see Mr. Gallup you should tie him to a chair and torture him until he tells you what the fuck Copernicus is.

#13 Posted by jakob187 (21673 posts) -

1.  CURT SCHILLING ACTUALLY HAS A GAME STUDIO?!?!!  ZOMFG!!!  That dood is epic like Vin Diesel.

2.  TODD MCFARLANE IS PART OF THE STUDIO?!  Means we've got good concept art.

3.  Upon further investigation, R.A. SALVATORE IS DOING THE STORY?!?!?!  FUCK ME RUNNING!!!

4.  Given that Curt plays a shitload of WoW, Salvatore is a masterful storyteller, and McFarlane could put some interesting art spins into this game...I'm already fucking sold!!!
#14 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Curt Schilling has a game development studio?!?

#15 Posted by Death_Burnout (3797 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"How can you have an article about 38 studio's and not mention the legendary rich gallup. It's blasphemy!!!!!

Anyway, the next time you see Mr. Gallup you should tie him to a chair and torture him until he tells you what the fuck Copernicus is."
This!

Nah it was actually nice to have a 38 studio's mention without Rich Gallup anywhere,  in a way :)

Nah who am i kiddin'!?
#16 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

I will buy this game regardless of quality simply because the man-god Rich Gallup is involved.

#17 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Rich and McF....what's the game?

#18 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -

Weird placement of LFC emblem in the photograph.  You'll Never Walk Alone.

#19 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

"How to talk on panels, without saying anything." A panel on that? That is great! Hah!

#20 Posted by truebornracer (103 posts) -

Why is it that all former Gamespotters end up making PC games?

Bob - WotLK

Rich - Copernicus

Carrie - Warhammer

Greg - Red Alert

the only exception is Alex!

#21 Posted by deaux (233 posts) -

Get your hand out of there, Peter Moore!

#22 Posted by Osiris (512 posts) -

I'm secretly super exited about this game! The concept art looks awesome and the team + ideas sounds amazing. Can't wait for more info to be released!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.