Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Corpse Party

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 22, 1996

A survival horror adventure game that tells the story of a group of students trapped in a haunted elementary school. Originally released for the PC-98 in Japan back in 1996, it was not released in the Western world until 2011.

So I finished Corpse party.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By Catolf

Out of all the characters these four do kinda take center stage. XP

I'm tired.. just got off work, but imma do this blog anyway!

I have no idea how much time total I put toward this game, i played a little here and a little there and did aim to get most of the name tags and endings. I missed four of the endings, one due to glitch and the others due to lazyness, but fuck, i got 23 out of 27. *shrug* (haven't done any extra endings though)

Corpse party is one of those games where it creeps you the fuck out while being kinda mindless in it's execution. Certain situations where you'd sit and say "no.. don't do that" happen often. Characters fall into the typical horror cliche often and you want to shake them and tell them no. But if your easily able to forgive these faults and the one annoying character every once and a while (you know who you are you crazy bitch ^_~) then this is defiantly worth checking out.

The tone and sound of this game can be down near terrifying, well placed screams and whisper's that migrate headphones are enough to put your hair on end and make you want to take them off, but you won't cause you don't want this little 16 bit game to get the better of you, but damn it does a few times, (at least for me)

Multiple endings are one thing i did love about this game, most is disturbing in it's own right. Chapter five bad ending in particular I loved a lot due to how it all went down in a bat shit crazy way making you think about it again and again. Though, there are a few that come out of left field that sometimes don't make sense in context. But th good (ie: fucked up) out weigh the bad here.

Not all characters in the game are worth screen time, but again, it's something that can easily be forgiven as the story unfolds before you. Some people are just better off dead after all~

Length wise the game is easily 20 hours I'd say, a bit more or less depending on how quick you learn from your mistakes and if or if not your going for all endings and tags. Though some parts of the game, mainly getting the true ending for a few of the chapters makes you wonder why it matters if you did this or that. Mainly chapter 5, some of the shit to get tot he true end is kinda balls. lol.. but.. i pfft...

Corpse party is a decent game, and with how it ended i'd like to see more of it, so thanks to Xseed for bringing it over, it was a fun ride while it lasted.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Catolf

I'm tired.. just got off work, but imma do this blog anyway!

I have no idea how much time total I put toward this game, i played a little here and a little there and did aim to get most of the name tags and endings. I missed four of the endings, one due to glitch and the others due to lazyness, but fuck, i got 23 out of 27. *shrug* (haven't done any extra endings though)

Corpse party is one of those games where it creeps you the fuck out while being kinda mindless in it's execution. Certain situations where you'd sit and say "no.. don't do that" happen often. Characters fall into the typical horror cliche often and you want to shake them and tell them no. But if your easily able to forgive these faults and the one annoying character every once and a while (you know who you are you crazy bitch ^_~) then this is defiantly worth checking out.

The tone and sound of this game can be down near terrifying, well placed screams and whisper's that migrate headphones are enough to put your hair on end and make you want to take them off, but you won't cause you don't want this little 16 bit game to get the better of you, but damn it does a few times, (at least for me)

Multiple endings are one thing i did love about this game, most is disturbing in it's own right. Chapter five bad ending in particular I loved a lot due to how it all went down in a bat shit crazy way making you think about it again and again. Though, there are a few that come out of left field that sometimes don't make sense in context. But th good (ie: fucked up) out weigh the bad here.

Not all characters in the game are worth screen time, but again, it's something that can easily be forgiven as the story unfolds before you. Some people are just better off dead after all~

Length wise the game is easily 20 hours I'd say, a bit more or less depending on how quick you learn from your mistakes and if or if not your going for all endings and tags. Though some parts of the game, mainly getting the true ending for a few of the chapters makes you wonder why it matters if you did this or that. Mainly chapter 5, some of the shit to get tot he true end is kinda balls. lol.. but.. i pfft...

Corpse party is a decent game, and with how it ended i'd like to see more of it, so thanks to Xseed for bringing it over, it was a fun ride while it lasted.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

27 endings?! What?

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Xeiphyer

Glad to see you enjoyed it and could get some scares and mood out of the game's simple graphics style.

I can't stand horror things usually because it drives me crazy as soon as a character performs some action which no normal person would ever think was a good idea. Being that that is basically the crux of the horror genre, its not surprising I haven't played many of the games or watched the movies. Still, its always interesting reading about other people's experiences with this type of thing, especially because how well someone likes this type of game or movie tend to hinge on if they were able to be affected by the ambience of the game.

Thanks for writing!

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Catolf
    @MooseyMcMan said:

27 endings?! What?

yeah, thats not including the 10 extra endings you can get as well.

@Xeiphyer: I am easily frightened so, when i see a character do something you KNOW they shouldn't, it makes me leery. lol
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By apathylad

I'm not a fan of games with multiple endings. I don't have the patience to revisit the same scenarios, even though the outcome may be different. It's especially true for long games. That being said, the premise to Corpse Party is interesting to me, so I may give it a shot someday.

TYUI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TYUI

The manga was awwwwwful T_T

Reluctant to try this out, but I probably will. At some point in the future. When I get the appropriate hardware >.<

@MooseyMcMan said:

27 endings?! What?

That's nothing, quite a few commercial visual novels have got this number of endings. But then again a lot of them simply give you a 'bad ending' rather than a game over screen when you mess things up, so the number of endings tends to accumulate fast over the length of a game.

@Xeiphyer said:

I can't stand horror things usually because it drives me crazy as soon as a character performs some action which no normal person would ever think was a good idea. Being that that is basically the crux of the horror genre, its not surprising I haven't played many of the games or watched the movies.

Characters acting like morons isn't the crutch of the horror genre by a long shot. It could be considered a crutch of the 'body horror' genre because a lot of lazy or hack writers rely on people acting like dumbasses in order to get them killed in gruesome ways, but that's a subset of the horror genre.

Psychological horror like the one written by HP Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe, for example, relies mainly on people having to deal with things - mainly supernatural - that are so utterly alien to what they and the rest of humanity are used to that not only are they terrified, but they are stumped by what they should do and ponder how much potential damage to their sanity it would cause for them to investigate further. Some VNs I've played drummed up drama in a similar style - the killing is very short and not all that graphic, but the panic and anxiety the character feels is explored at length, to great effect.

That's only one style of psychological horror. A lot of Asian horror relies on psychology rather than body horror(although there are tons of that and a lot of movies actually combine the two beautifully) to really good effect. You should give movies like "Three... Extremes" a watch sometime. (although I have to admit I watched only one of the 3 mini films in it so far, but I greatly enjoyed it >.>)

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Dark

@MooseyMcMan said:

27 endings?! What?

Basically if you stuff up and die the character gets a 'bad ending'. All that means is I usually die the first chance I get to see what happens, then finish the chapter properly.

I started to play it, got half way through the just started to read the manga and haven't played it since. The game lends itself better to a horror manga than it does a game, the writing is b-grade managa quality so why not. Its a surprisngly well drawn manga as well (although there are 2 different manga's. One with MEGA FAN SERVICE, and the other follows this game step by step.) I just love the way the ghosts are drawn in the manga, very very creepy.

The basic idea is, these kids fall through a hole after doing a scary story and end up in this old school that was ripped down years ago. There are dead bodies all over the place and they are seperated into very small 'teams' you could put it, ghosts basically tell them there is no way out but to die and if you do die the pain you feel at that moment will be what you feel for eternity. Then they are left to wander around and basically 'die', it sounds boring but watching the kids slowly loose their minds is quite disturbing and keeps me going. I haven't gone far enough to see any ending but I will say that the story does seem to expand a fair amount later on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.