Costume Quest 'Grubbins on Ice' DLC Hitting This December

• 108 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

A winter-themed downloadable add-on is coming to Costume Quest at some point in December, a GameSpot-exclusive look has revealed. Grubbins on Ice, as the content is being called, will expand on the game's story, taking place after the events of the RPG, which had you saving your brother or sister from the clutches of the troll-like and candy-obsessed Grubbins. 

Grubbins on Ice takes place in a wintry Repugia, an area that game creator Double Fine says is slightly larger than a level in the core game. You'll be plopped into this world during a time of political struggle, one that will conveniently require you to trick-or-treat the area's various houses in order to gather supporters or hurt opposition. A sibling factors into this all as well, but I suggest you check out GameSpot for the full scoop on that.

New costumes and new powers for both battle and world navigation have been confirmed, and as a bonus, Grubbins on Ice will offer fixes for the core game. The text speed will be lowered for us slower folk, select phone posts will become save points, and you'll be able to pause during cut-scenes. Not bad, but it'll cost you an unspecified number of Microsoft Points. 

Hey, more Costume Quest! You wanted more, right?
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

A winter-themed downloadable add-on is coming to Costume Quest at some point in December, a GameSpot-exclusive look has revealed. Grubbins on Ice, as the content is being called, will expand on the game's story, taking place after the events of the RPG, which had you saving your brother or sister from the clutches of the troll-like and candy-obsessed Grubbins. 

Grubbins on Ice takes place in a wintry Repugia, an area that game creator Double Fine says is slightly larger than a level in the core game. You'll be plopped into this world during a time of political struggle, one that will conveniently require you to trick-or-treat the area's various houses in order to gather supporters or hurt opposition. A sibling factors into this all as well, but I suggest you check out GameSpot for the full scoop on that.

New costumes and new powers for both battle and world navigation have been confirmed, and as a bonus, Grubbins on Ice will offer fixes for the core game. The text speed will be lowered for us slower folk, select phone posts will become save points, and you'll be able to pause during cut-scenes. Not bad, but it'll cost you an unspecified number of Microsoft Points. 

Hey, more Costume Quest! You wanted more, right?
#2 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Day one for me!

#3 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

I am so excited for this.

#4 Posted by picklecannon (265 posts) -

The nightmare before christmas?

#5 Posted by LoktarOgar (355 posts) -
 The text speed will be lowered for us slower folk

Oh thank you Jesus. Missing dialogue in CQ was especially painful because it was so good.
#6 Posted by AndyPhifer (167 posts) -

I know what I'm playing Christmas day...
#7 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

There goes my S-Rank!! Guess I'll have to play this then.

#8 Posted by Tebbit (4450 posts) -

"It could take 5 hours to complete" it says in that article. That's like... an hour less than it took me to finish the entire game. I'm calling shenanigans on that estimate.

#9 Posted by Zicdab (388 posts) -
@texaseanacre: My thought exactly.
#11 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Looking forward to this, but I'm hoping the price is reasonable.  The game itself was great but very expensive for so little content, even if a lot of work had clearly gone in.  I certainly don't believe this DLC is as long as the main game and now that most of the work has been done they shouldn't have to charge us so much.

Really sick of being ripped off so badly for DLC.

#12 Edited by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

I would love it if they could hit all the holidays for this.  Hell, I'd like it even more if it was only the minor ones.  Boxing Day? ANZAC Day? Sign me the hell up.  (I know those are foreign holidays and not minor US ones, but they are always on my calendars).
#13 Posted by Shasam (468 posts) -
@Tebbit said:
"  "It could take 5 hours to complete" it says in that article. That's like... an hour less than it took me to finish the entire game. I'm calling shenanigans on that estimate. "
Agreed. They say it's slightly larger than a level from the main game? Then that's not 5 hours, unless they mean bigger as in actual size and the area is packed full of stuff.
#14 Posted by MisterMouse (3543 posts) -

wonderful news!

#15 Posted by AlisterCat (5489 posts) -

If it's low price it'll be an instant purchase for me. Otherwise I'll have to think about it.

#16 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

eeeeeee so excited!

#17 Posted by TheLocustHorde (8 posts) -

trick or treat in the snow, been there.

#18 Posted by ShadowVirus (793 posts) -

f yeeeeaaaahh! I really wanted DLC added onto this game and they go and do it, brilliant. 

Also added save points is brilliant, now it would be nice if they raised the level cap.

#19 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! 
Loved this game from beginning to end. Couldn't stop. 

The only thing that saddens me is that this DLC will also have an ending. 

#20 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Promoting gamespot on giantbomb? wait, what?

#21 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

If it's 400 points I'll pick it up for sure.

#22 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

AWSOME!!!!!

#23 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

Trick or Treating during the winter with costumes on? Right on. Makes ZERO sense but...right on!

#24 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

Definitely getting this!

#25 Posted by MrMcJerk (44 posts) -

Nothing like slower text speed...  ugh.

#26 Posted by darkjester74 (1572 posts) -

Woohoo!  I am sooo there.

#27 Posted by big_jon (5710 posts) -

I will buy.
#28 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

I guess that Zombie gang-leader kid will be the main villain(?).

#29 Posted by ch3burashka (5018 posts) -

It's kind of weird that a tiny, 'themed' game is getting DLC. I always thought it was a one-off deal.

#30 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Costume Quest was OK, but I've had enough. The game was a bit shorter and duller than I had expected.

#31 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

HELL YA!

#32 Posted by yyZiggurat (1013 posts) -
I really liked Costume Quest and was happy to pay $15 to support Double Fine's first downloadable game.  But I have my doubts about this DLC.  I think I will wait for a non-Moon -Dollars price and word on how long it really is.

@CookieMonster said:
" Promoting gamespot on giantbomb? wait, what? "
Yeah, I caught that too.  Weird.
#33 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -
@HomemadeZiggurat said:
@CookieMonster said:
Yeah, I caught that too.  Weird. "

Promoting? He's just naming his source, that's been common for news since the 18th century.
#34 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -
@HomemadeZiggurat said:   
@CookieMonster said:
Yeah, I caught that too.  Weird. "
Citing sources is not the same as promotion.
#35 Posted by shiro11 (63 posts) -

As long as it's priced reasonably I will get it. Costume quest helped me recover from the frustration that New Vegas gave me.

#36 Posted by buhssuht (437 posts) -

cheaper price plz 

#37 Posted by Sharpless (458 posts) -

I will buy this immediately, no questions asked. Loved Costume Quest. I just hope it's reasonably priced. The full game's three worlds cost $15. This one should only cost around $5 or $7, but logic and fairness aren't always present in the world of download services.

Also, LOL at the newbs mistaking "source citing" for "promotion." *shakes head* Ah, you kids...

#38 Posted by RazielCuts (2942 posts) -

Is the level cap increased?

#39 Posted by yyZiggurat (1013 posts) -
@CrazyChris: @S0ndor:  Tomato, tomäto.
#40 Posted by Undeadpool (4913 posts) -

Sweet! Like some kind of...sweet food...perhaps that you'd acquire by going house to house.

#41 Posted by Sin4profit (2911 posts) -

they should really just put out DLC for every marketable Holiday (Christmas, Valentine's day, Easter) so you can pretend to trick or treat all year round. 
the game was quickly forgotten right after Halloween had past.

#42 Posted by afterburner1978 (45 posts) -

Day one purchase indeed!
#43 Posted by GetBentTheVideoGame (261 posts) -

w00t

#44 Posted by brownsfantb (389 posts) -

Holy crap! Where do I insert my space bucks?

#45 Posted by buft (3307 posts) -

Xmas trick or treating? when does that make sense?

#46 Posted by Jalaman (13 posts) -

Actually he isn't just citing. He is directly suggesting we go to GameSpot to learn more about this information instead of giving it to us here.

#47 Posted by AngryRedPlumber (214 posts) -

Great to see more for this game!

#48 Posted by Sacerdos87 (157 posts) -

I hope we get more details soon. Level cap would have to be in the works I would think since playing through the game in it's entirety maxes you out. Finally going to Repugia should be awesome.

#49 Posted by icytower38 (462 posts) -

Costume Quest is one of my favorite games of 2010, I'm so buying this day one! I'd like to see a few achievements added with the new DLC as well.

I'd say they should keep this up, keep releasing themed DLC. Heck, done right Small reasonable DLC could continue for another year at least.

#50 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Why does this game need DLC? It was awesome as a standalone product.

Its official. I hate DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.