Double Fine Dresses Up For Costume Quest On XBLA, PSN

• 85 results
Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

As Double Fine head-honcho Tim Schafer told the crowd at the Develop conference last month, the poor sales performance of Brutal Legend meant that Eddie Riggs' first metal adventure would also be his last, with EA deciding against developing a sequel. With over 10 years of retail stores giving Double Fine's games the brick-and-mortar middle finger (i.e. the games didn't sell too well), Schafer has decided to give retail the double bird right back, starting a series of downloadable game projects within Double Fine.  

Schafer told the Develop audience that three of their upcoming four games, each led by different Double Fine veterans, were currently in development as downloadable games, and today, the first of those games has been revealed from behind its cheap, plastic mask.

It has a real "Animal Crossing" look, doesn't it?

Costume Quest, the first downloadable release from Double Fine (and the first partnership between Double Fine and publisher THQ), is a hybrid RPG/adventure game centered around the only acceptable day to dress up in front of other people,  Halloween. As revealed in UGO's exclusive announcement and preview of the title, Costume Quest will cast players as a young trick-or-treater searching for their lost sister after she goes missing during a candy romp. But finding your little sister won't be as simple as asking the neighbors, as her captor is a monster who hungers for her delicious candy. You'll search for the monster as well as do battle against his army of minions.

== TEASER ==Of course, these aren't real monsters you'll be searching for and fighting; Costume Quest's adventure-game puzzle solving takes place in a "normal" neighborhood on Halloween, while the game's RPG combat takes place in your character's imagination, where the dinky costumes of the neighborhood kids turn into what they believe they look like: a cardboard suit of armor turns to sterling silver, and tin can robot plating becomes harder than steel. You know... the way you acted when you were a kid wearing a silly costume that you thought was awesome.

Yep, that's how I thought I looked when I wore my knight costume. I was a stupid kid.

It's also worth mentioning that while Tim Schafer is watching over the project, he is not the creative lead on this title. Costume Quest is being helmed by Tasha Harris, the lead animator on Brutal Legend (and a former Pixar animator).

UGO has more images and a full preview of Double Fine's latest, which sounds like it shares many gameplay and structure similarities with Hothead's Penny Arcade Adventures titles. I'll be interested in seeing how well Double Fine's strengths--their storytelling and art direction--translate to the digital format. We won't have to wait too much longer to find out; Costume Quest launches on (of course!) October 31 on both Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

As Double Fine head-honcho Tim Schafer told the crowd at the Develop conference last month, the poor sales performance of Brutal Legend meant that Eddie Riggs' first metal adventure would also be his last, with EA deciding against developing a sequel. With over 10 years of retail stores giving Double Fine's games the brick-and-mortar middle finger (i.e. the games didn't sell too well), Schafer has decided to give retail the double bird right back, starting a series of downloadable game projects within Double Fine.  

Schafer told the Develop audience that three of their upcoming four games, each led by different Double Fine veterans, were currently in development as downloadable games, and today, the first of those games has been revealed from behind its cheap, plastic mask.

It has a real "Animal Crossing" look, doesn't it?

Costume Quest, the first downloadable release from Double Fine (and the first partnership between Double Fine and publisher THQ), is a hybrid RPG/adventure game centered around the only acceptable day to dress up in front of other people,  Halloween. As revealed in UGO's exclusive announcement and preview of the title, Costume Quest will cast players as a young trick-or-treater searching for their lost sister after she goes missing during a candy romp. But finding your little sister won't be as simple as asking the neighbors, as her captor is a monster who hungers for her delicious candy. You'll search for the monster as well as do battle against his army of minions.

== TEASER ==Of course, these aren't real monsters you'll be searching for and fighting; Costume Quest's adventure-game puzzle solving takes place in a "normal" neighborhood on Halloween, while the game's RPG combat takes place in your character's imagination, where the dinky costumes of the neighborhood kids turn into what they believe they look like: a cardboard suit of armor turns to sterling silver, and tin can robot plating becomes harder than steel. You know... the way you acted when you were a kid wearing a silly costume that you thought was awesome.

Yep, that's how I thought I looked when I wore my knight costume. I was a stupid kid.

It's also worth mentioning that while Tim Schafer is watching over the project, he is not the creative lead on this title. Costume Quest is being helmed by Tasha Harris, the lead animator on Brutal Legend (and a former Pixar animator).

UGO has more images and a full preview of Double Fine's latest, which sounds like it shares many gameplay and structure similarities with Hothead's Penny Arcade Adventures titles. I'll be interested in seeing how well Double Fine's strengths--their storytelling and art direction--translate to the digital format. We won't have to wait too much longer to find out; Costume Quest launches on (of course!) October 31 on both Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

#2 Posted by Thoseposers (788 posts) -

Awesome!

#3 Posted by chogi (555 posts) -

day 1

#4 Posted by Shibbles (262 posts) -

Literally everything about this game seems fantastic.

#5 Posted by Sin4profit (2956 posts) -

" as her captor is a monster who hungers for her delicious candy."

...So she was kidnapped by a pedophile then.

#6 Posted by StrikerTheLizard (315 posts) -

J.Black: DOUBLE FIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!!

#7 Posted by TurboMan (7605 posts) -

I wonder how long it will be... seems like something I will play in a room, by myself, every halloween from now on :).

#8 Posted by Joeku (115 posts) -

This looks so sweet.

#9 Posted by JarenFace (205 posts) -

I really like the concept behind this, bringing me back to a time where my friends and I could spend entire days outside imaging our next big adventure through the neighborhood. 

...will download for sure.

#10 Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -

This looks very interesting. I have to keep an eye out for this one.

#11 Posted by Devileye--defunct (48 posts) -

im a huge Double Fine fan. i can only expect greatness from them but we shall see when this game comes out :] i cant wait
#12 Posted by buzz_clik (6989 posts) -
@Joeku said:
" This looks so sweet. "
In all senses of the word.
#13 Posted by l3roken (116 posts) -

This looks ridiculous

#14 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

SIZE MATTERS!

Just because it'll likely cost 1/4 as much as Brutal legend, that doesn't mean we should let them get away with making it 1/4 the length.

Then again I'm sure a lot of you still have Limbo goggles on.

#15 Posted by Lobst (151 posts) -

The premise is so imaginative, it even revolves around imagination! In on the day-one party train~

#16 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

Day one.

#17 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -
@Babble said:
" Day one. "
#18 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -

that's adorable

#19 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

Well that's ironic.  Tim Schafer putting out a Quest game.

#20 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4778 posts) -

I hope he kept the rights to brutal legend...

#21 Posted by FlipperDesert (2096 posts) -

It looks super cute, I'm into it.

#22 Posted by Zippedbinders (1017 posts) -

Awesome, I was wondering how Tasha's game was going to be, this looks equally charming and badass, and its out damn soon. Awesome!

#23 Posted by Vonocourt (2141 posts) -

This really is a great premise for a video game, surprised it hasn't been used notably before.

#24 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

Great Halloween games are hard to come by. I love the holiday and will probably love this game.

#25 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Looks good.

The format of bite-sized downloadable games seems perfect for Double Fine's strenghts. Humor might overstay its welcome in a full retail release. In smaller downloadable games though, I think it'll be just right.

Looking forward to hearing more about Costume Quest and their other DLC projects.

#26 Posted by Scheds (464 posts) -

Yes!! Tasha's comic is the shit; here's hoping her game follows suit!

#27 Posted by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

Sweet, setting my expectations to: High.

#28 Posted by Vitamin_Dei (188 posts) -
@Scheds said:
" Yes!! Tasha's comic is the shit; here's hoping her game follows suit! "
Agreed. 

But if it doesn't come to PC at all... Well, I hope it comes to PC, or the powers that be decide to drop a console in my lap. I'd really like to support a developer and creative team that I like.
#29 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

A very cool idea. Although I guess alot of people won't relate to the setting as much as the holiday isn't nearly as crazy in Europe as it is in the US.

#30 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Great premise. 
However, Brutal Legend was also a great premise.  I hope this game turns out less like that game and more like Psychonauts in terms of quality.

#31 Posted by KingDaniel97 (15 posts) -

I love halloween. Can't wait to see this game.

#32 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Awesome. 

Brutal Legend disappointed me, but I still have faith.

#33 Posted by BulletStorm (487 posts) -

Just, just don't overcomplicate things double fine - write a good game, but more importantly - make it fun to play!

#34 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

I couldn't care less. Double Fine is not a good developer in my eyes. As long as the people that are into their games aren't disappointed like they were with Brutal Legend than I'll be happy, I hate seeing people get hyped for a game than it turns out it's not so great. 

#35 Posted by radioactivez0r (862 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" SIZE MATTERS!  Just because it'll likely cost 1/4 as much as Brutal legend, that doesn't mean we should let them get away with making it 1/4 the length.  Then again I'm sure a lot of you still have Limbo goggles on. "
I'm a gamer!  I demand more and more for my dollar while spending less and less of said dollars!
#36 Posted by Darkstorn (465 posts) -

I loved Brutal Legend and Psychonauts, and this will be a definite purchase. Can't wait!

#37 Posted by ChernobylCow (238 posts) -

Wow! Sometimes a "cute" game can really win me over.  I hope the gameplay is fun or at least average.  Brutal Legend was far too unwieldy. 

#38 Posted by Branthog (5583 posts) -

Kessler is all about playing dress-up.

#39 Posted by KyleBaron (160 posts) -

So, consumers are to blame for why Tim Schafer's games didn't sell? 

I think it might also have to do with the misleading intentions of Brutal Legend and the poorly marketed, not all-there mechanics of Psychonauts. 

One is getting off on the wrong foot if they're Insinuating that people who buy games are bad people because they weren't drawn to a particular game.

#40 Posted by bhhawks78 (1206 posts) -

They tricked me into buying/playing the sloppy mess brutal legend was, not buying this until I see a ton of reviews next time. 

#41 Posted by cyrax (205 posts) -

Sold on the idea. Deliver the game.

#42 Posted by batorre (4 posts) -

Psychonauts is still one my all-time favorite titles, but DF really seemed to lose their way with Brutal Legend. It wasn't horrible, it just didn't live up to expectations (which were admittedly high).  
Hope they're able to get back on track with smaller downloadable titles.  

In fact a game like Psychonauts would have been ripe for an episodic release model. Each new dream world a $5-$8 DLC or something like that.  

#43 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

You know... the way you acted when you were a kid wearing a silly costume that you thought was awesome.

It's funny that cosplayers still do this. Funny and sad :/

@StrikerTheLizard said:

" J.Black: DOUBLE FIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!! "

I love turning that game on.
#44 Posted by bhhawks78 (1206 posts) -
@KyleBaron said:
" So, consumers are to blame for why Tim Schafer's games didn't sell?  I think it might also have to do with the misleading intentions of Brutal Legend and the poorly marketed, not all-there mechanics of Psychonauts.  One is getting off on the wrong foot if they're Insinuating that people who buy games are bad people because they weren't drawn to a particular game. "
DING DING DING

Hell if Brutal Legend ended up just being God of War + metal and cut out the rest it would have been better.  That's coming from someone who doesn't like god of war/bayonetta/ninja gaiden and other games of the ilk.
#45 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@radioactivez0r said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" SIZE MATTERS!  Just because it'll likely cost 1/4 as much as Brutal legend, that doesn't mean we should let them get away with making it 1/4 the length.  Then again I'm sure a lot of you still have Limbo goggles on. "
I'm a gamer!  I demand more and more for my dollar while spending less and less of said dollars! "
You never played Brutal Legend did you?
#46 Posted by Grilledcheez (3952 posts) -

Looks pretty cool...I'll definitely demo it

#47 Posted by Civraz (392 posts) -

That's pretty cool, but... Psychonauts 2 plz?

#48 Posted by Solh0und (1799 posts) -
@StrikerTheLizard said:
" J.Black: DOUBLE FIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!! "
Best part of Brutal Legend
#49 Posted by glanesb (151 posts) -
@Dogbert47 said:
" That's pretty cool, but... Psychonauts 2 plz? "
PLEASE!!!!!!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!!???!?!?
#50 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -

Hmm. Not too deep into RPGs. Might want to watch gameplay videos before I invest in this one. Also, isn't Double Fine partners with EA now? Or was that just for the release of Brutal Legend?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.