What did you think of Costume Quest?

#1 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

What did you think of costume quest?
Me personally I tried my best to like it and while I found it humorous and witty it was way too easy RPG lite it maybe but it could have been a little harder in terms of battles, and certainly puzzles could have been harder as well.  I only died once when I purposefully made my self die cause I forgot I could run from a battle I had hit B and went past a story element in one of the bigger battles otherwise the game was easy and short I believe I put 3-4 hours into the game and got every achievement without a problem.

I think I would have liked it alot more if it had been voiced, I know the staff at double fine writes some amazing material and they have easy access to some great voice talent this game would have been far better If it was voice and text based instead of just text based so much sarcasm and great witty remarks were lost because of text only. It would have shone as a game and story with voice.  so yeah I thought the game was okay but as it is now with its ease and no voice its not worth the 15 dollars I paid out for it specially at 3-4 hours playtime to beat it and get every single achievement.

#2 Posted by big_jon (5782 posts) -

I loved it, worth every penny.
#3 Edited by bhhawks78 (1207 posts) -

Cute with a nice idea but insanely shallow disappointing on every level beyond art and world. 

Double fine tricks me every fucking time :(  Just like when I bought Brutal Legend I 100% regret my purchase.  At least with Brutal Legend I found some idiot to buy it from me for 45$  Can't sell costume quest :((

#4 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -

i can understand some thinking 15.00 is too much for this game, and in the interest of full disclosure, i was provided a review code by the publisher, so i paid nothing, but i would have paid for the game and would have had the same great experience if i did. it was nice to play a 5 hour ish super tight game, my only issue was that i wanted more. i played as reynold and i will probably play again during the day on halloween as wren (to see how the dialogue differs). 

i felt they nailed the halloween, vibe and there were some great touches, i won't spoil anything but i loved the final scene before the credits rolled after you beat the game...two words "Dad Tax".
#5 Posted by ___pocalypse (554 posts) -

Loved it! A little short, not super challenging, but still charming and memorable and fun. It was a finished product, through and through, which is something I feel like a lot of games fall short of. I hope they explore the characters and game style more in the future.

#6 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I loved every minute of it and to me it didn't disapoint.  As for difficulty, I don't think any of double fines games are really that hard. Even Brutal Legend. Even so still worth the purchase.

#7 Posted by Unchained (1090 posts) -

I really enjoyed it. It was a fun little diversion and something I'll probably play again next Halloween. It was cute. 

#8 Posted by umdesch4 (771 posts) -

Yeah, I finished it and I found that there are so many little things in the game that I probably missed a few, even though I got all the achievements. Given that, I think I might watch while my housemates play it.

Anybody find anything they'd consider an easter egg in there? I discovered, for example, that if you come back to the start of the game with something better than the candy pail you started with, you can whack the coffin in the ground next door to your house, and the skeleton inside will wake up and take a walk. I'm sure there are at least a few other little things like that buried in there.

#9 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

The combat could've been more varied, but overal it was a nice little game. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have kids that love a halloween style game, but I found myself playing it through alone on a seperate save.

#10 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

Worth every penny.  It was short, but it was so good.

#11 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Loved it, wanted more, hope we get one next Halloween. Combat never bothered me, nor did the puzzles or any gameplay aspect really, a reason to replay would've been nice because it's hard to find an excuse to spend more time with it once you're done with the story.

#12 Posted by DarkTravesty (329 posts) -

love it , i just wish it had v/o

#13 Posted by BBQBram (2291 posts) -

I really loved it. The characters, the art and the world were all superb. As for gameplay and pacing, it felt like all of the satisfaction of a JRPG without the long grind, but constantly changing it up with new quests and costumes. The battle stamp system and the QTEs in the battles really reminded me of Paper Mario, keeping the battles fresh and entertaining. And although I think the difficulty is perfect for a game like this, a new game+ option would have really provided a reason for using more advanced costume/battle stamp set-ups. I was changing them up constantly because I wanted to indulge in the awesome, but not necessarily because I wouldn't have made it through otherwise. Other than that, perfect little game.

And on the subject of voice acting; could have worked, but could also have messed with the tone. As is, the game felt really gamey and old-skool-rpg-y, in a good way.

#14 Posted by Mesklinite (814 posts) -
@BBQBram:
I agree, there's a lot that could of been done with replayability which would of made the game much more awesome for little cost in production I think. Hopefully for the next one if they do! I love the costumes, what drove me to keep playing was seeing the new costumes.
#15 Posted by BBQBram (2291 posts) -

Sadly there's no way for us to find out how well this game did for Double Fine, and what the chances are of us getting another one next year. Doesn't matter though, I'm totally going for another 100% run in a few weeks, the game was just too damn fun!

#16 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Personally I found it to be a perfectly paced distraction - I don't think anyone is going to argue this is something that requires multiple playthroughs or sits side by side with the best of RPGs.  Very charming, very silly, very family friendly - not challenging, not so easy it plays itself - I saw a lot of people labeling it as a good introductory RPG for kids, that's about right, but that doesn't mean that you can't appreciate it as adult. What it did, for me at least, was leave me wanting more because I had so much fun, but left me feeling satisfied about what I'd bought and played, room for a sequel without a cliff hanger ending - in other words they just nailed it, I can't name more than a handful of games that manage to strike that perfect balance.

#17 Posted by Aetheldod (3710 posts) -
@SteamPunkJin said:
" Personally I found it to be a perfectly paced distraction - I don't think anyone is going to argue this is something that requires multiple playthroughs or sits side by side with the best of RPGs.  Very charming, very silly, very family friendly - not challenging, not so easy it plays itself - I saw a lot of people labeling it as a good introductory RPG for kids, that's about right, but that doesn't mean that you can't appreciate it as adult. What it did, for me at least, was leave me wanting more because I had so much fun, but left me feeling satisfied about what I'd bought and played, room for a sequel without a cliff hanger ending - in other words they just nailed it, I can't name more than a handful of games that manage to strike that perfect balance. "
Ageed ..... about the VO , I was thinking myself that but then remembered all those annoying kids voices , so it was better not have em 
#18 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I'll wait for it to hit steam for 3 bucks.

#19 Posted by Sjosz (486 posts) -

Very well executed game world, witty dialog, cute overload all over the place and well paced little adventure. I was mildly disappointed by the lack of voiced characters in there, and despite the 5-6 hour length (which I sat through in a single session) I am perfectly content with the purchase. Quality wise it is a great addition to my gaming library.

#20 Posted by ahab88 (241 posts) -

You can read my brief, amateurish review here.

#21 Posted by Zicdab (390 posts) -

I enjoyed playing it but it should be $10 or play longer.

#22 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

I thought it was great.

#23 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

I had a few issue with it, but it was a great experience overall. The combat was too simple and got really repetitive after awhile, I also don't feel like there's a lot of difference between the costumes.

#25 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

Perfect for what it was - a seasonal offering of just the right length.  After tomorrow it will really be an odd game to buy, so I don't fault the price point - their sales have a much higher drop-off chance.  I don't have kids, but I could easily see this being perfect to sit down in front of with the family a few nights in a row leading up to Halloween.  But if "charm" is not something you care about in a game you'll probably get less out of it.  If they did another one next Halloween with a whole new set of costumes, I'd probably get it.

#26 Posted by Scarz09 (146 posts) -

Really enjoyed it, got all the achievements in one playthrough.
#27 Posted by Jayzz (586 posts) -

if this came out during the summer time, I would not have even looked at it.

This game had perfect timing. It's adorable and a really fun nostalgic experience. (if you went trick or treating as a child :P )

#28 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4985 posts) -

Short and sweet.  Babby's first RPG.

#29 Posted by ___pocalypse (554 posts) -

Looooved it. It was definitely super easy and pretty short, but I think every element of the game worked really well. It felt polished, and I didn't have the feeling after beating it that I was somehow missing out on what it could have been. It was a really satisfying experience, and a really fun way to spend a rainy evening in. I'm glad I bought it and I hope to see more like it in the future.
 My Halloween costume this year was inspired by Everett's knight costume :)

#30 Posted by billysea (103 posts) -

I was hyped for the game and played the demo, while I love the art style, the game is very very shallow.  It's like your "My First RPGzzz" kind of shallow.

#31 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

Costume Quest is one of my favorite games of all time.

#32 Posted by Portis (1283 posts) -

I absolutely loved it. I honestly did not mind the lack or voices of the length of the game. Everything about it charmed the shit out of me from the candy (XP) meter looking like a Smarties wrapper, to the writing and the way the children are so excited about it being Halloween. It was a nice, silly break for me from the bleakness of Fallout: New Vegas.  

The only nitpick I had was that the battle system became sort of robotic, and I mostly felt as if I was just going through the motions with it with no real excitement involved. I didn't think it was anywhere near bad, but I definitely got to a point where I was wanting to get though battles quick, so I could subsequently see more little cut scenes and run around and talk to people. Though, I've got to say I really enjoyed the 'boss' battles. 

Also: Everett rocks! :)

#33 Posted by buhssuht (435 posts) -

I wish the game was slightly longer, but then Double Fine did their best so I can't really complain that much about the game's length. 
However, one part that did kind piss me off was that you can only equip only one battle stamp per character; i thought buying more of them would add more fun and variety to the battle but i was wrong.

#34 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

I thought it was a really cute game. Funny and fun to tear through. But yeah ... no real challenge on any level.
I understand that they wanted to make it accessible for the kiddies, but it could use a Harder mode for those of us who are only kids at heart. 
Also, in contradiction with the easy of play, the text goes too fast for kids to read when you don't have to press to continue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.