de_dust is nothing to get excited about.

#1 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -

One thing I keep seeing in coverage of CS:GO is people's relief that de_dust will be in the game. I know it's silly, but it really bugs me that people are misremembering the quality of the original dust. It was almost never played in competitive CS, and for good reason. There's absolutely no good way for terrorists to get into either bombsite. 

de_dust2, however? Classic. It was _the_ standard map to practice on. 

That's all.

#2 Edited by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

Whenever we played CS and someone was like "Let's play de_dust!", then we beat that guy to death.

#3 Edited by Marz (5653 posts) -

That's why in all the interview videos they say they are changing de_dust because they know it sucks.   They are leaving de_dust2 alone because they know it's great.

#4 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2688 posts) -

Dust was always a fun map to play, if not fair in competitive scenes.

But yeah, in clan matches it was always dust2.

#5 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Marz said:

That's why in all the interview videos they say they are changing de_dust because they know it sucks. They are leaving de_dust2 alone because they know it's great.
#6 Edited by BoG (5191 posts) -

cs_aztec, please. I once played Aztec for 4 hours straight in a 24 hour CS marathon to welcome in Christmas. My mother told me Santa would not bring me presents if I didn't sleep. I told her I was fine with that, as Counter Strike is all I needed.
#7 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

In Brad's CS:GO interview, they fully acknowledge that the original dust is not competitively viable. They also said that they are making changes to it in an effort to make it a better competitive map. I don't see what the problem is, especially since dust2 will be in the game as well.

#8 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

It annoys me that I recognized de_dust during the interview with Brad even though you could only see maybe a quarter of the screen behind them and it had completely new textures ... but that layout is still totally engrained in my head even after 7-ish years of not playing that damn game.

I hated that map so much because dust and dust2 was all everyone wanted to play back then. Servers running maps like de_chateau and newer additions were always nearly empty ...

#9 Posted by Xolare (1284 posts) -

cs_assault you faggots.

#10 Posted by JackG100 (405 posts) -

Aztec has my most precious CS-memory, rushing as a terrorist out of the big gates and then headshotting 7 people with my scout... two while completely flashed. It was... LEGENDARY!

Favorite map was Inferno though.

#11 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@DevWil said:
One thing I keep seeing in coverage of CS:GO is people's relief that de_dust will be in the game. I know it's silly, but it really bugs me that people are misremembering the quality of the original dust. It was almost never played in competitive CS, and for good reason. There's absolutely no good way for terrorists to get into either bombsite.  de_dust2, however? Classic. It was _the_ standard map to practice on.  That's all.
....you are aware that they are rebalancing the map to make it more viable for competitive play right? Of course not, or else you wouldn't have wasted your time posting this thread.
#12 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

I love me some assault and office.

#13 Posted by Rowr (5665 posts) -

Dust was the noob map that the noobs played over and over and over. I guess its like the equivalent of prestiging the newest COD 8 times. It's for "those" people.

#14 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Xolare said:
cs_assault you faggots.
Not as_oilrig? 

For shame.
#15 Posted by CheapPoison (733 posts) -

I love me some dust! 

Beside knowing counter-strike there will be tons of maps quick enough. 

Besides this is more like Dota 2. Putting a proven concept in an updated jacket with modern trappings. 
I am for it!

#16 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -
@Jace said:

I love me some assault and office.

Once upon a time, I love office. And then I began playing CS:S prior to the realease of HL2, and got really, really sick of it.
#17 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
@DevWil said:
One thing I keep seeing in coverage of CS:GO is people's relief that de_dust will be in the game. I know it's silly, but it really bugs me that people are misremembering the quality of the original dust. It was almost never played in competitive CS, and for good reason. There's absolutely no good way for terrorists to get into either bombsite.  de_dust2, however? Classic. It was _the_ standard map to practice on.  That's all.
....you are aware that they are rebalancing the map to make it more viable for competitive play right? Of course not, or else you wouldn't have wasted your time posting this thread.
chill out. i did not know that, but that's also not the point. i don't care if dust is the only map in the game; i was commenting on people's strange (to me) nostalgia for it. 

and i agree with some other folks in here that aztec (which is de_aztec, not cs_) was a good map that somehow dropped out of fashion towards the end of my time playing CS. nuke and train were my favorites, though. train matches were always really tense, and nuke's paper thin walls made for some nice highlights :)
#18 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@DevWil: People's nostalgia towards dust is largely related to the fact that although it wasn't a balanced map it was damn fun, mostly because there were only two points of contact between T and CT: tunnels and underpass. No matter which way you went there was going to be an intense firefight. Either way, you're right that it wasn't a balanced map but balanced isn't the same as fun.
#19 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Yo let's change it to fy_iceworld because you don't need to buy guns and stuff.

#20 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Office or die.

#21 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Anyone who is excited for CS:GO is excited for the wrong reason

also this:

Office or die.

#22 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

cs_office and de_season is all I want.

#23 Posted by FavoritoBandito (171 posts) -

I love me some cs_office and , but for some reason I enjoyed the occasional cs_miami.

#24 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

My favorite map is one that I only have to play on once before rotating. Fuck 24/7 Dust2 servers.

#25 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Man, Valve are dicks. I got an e-mail basically rubbing in my face that I don't have a CS:GO beta key. "Hey, stress test is live. If you have a key, come and play! If not, HAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

:(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.