Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 21, 2012

The fourth iteration of Valve's team-based modern-military first-person shooter, rebuilt and constantly expanded for competitive play with new maps, new weapons, and new gameplay mechanics. It was later made free-to-play and most versions were later replaced with the sequel.

Gameplay mechanics wise 1.6 and CSS were better than CSGO

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

1.6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6gcmbioqiE

CSS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QABpyXwJScc

Yeah... you wont see a highlight reel of frags like that in csgo movies... so much faster, SO MUCH MORE SKILL BASED and a zillion times more entertaining/impressive to watch. But none of that matters right? Cuz csgo got dem skinz... CSGO is an absolutely fucking facepalm bad to anyone who has a long history with counterstrike. Sad times.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Third Strike is awesome

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recoil patterns are dumb

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Noted.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Your opinion is in no way unique and is also about 3 years too late.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1.6 and Source are better, but GO is still a really good PC shooter.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CS:GO? More like CS:STOP! Booom, ya burnt!

(I rarely play CS and have never played GO, although it does look fun.)

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't disagree but you know what the real problem is with CS:GO? It actually looks too nice graphically. CS works really well partly because of it's simple level geometry and clean look. Nothing ever felt artificially obscured, unclean or unclear. You could pick out a dude from across the map and know they were an enemy and not a texture mixing in with depth of field and particle effects, and thus you could kill said dude with ease. Or said dude might kill you first. Depends on who is the best player, and therein lies the point.

A good competitive multiplayer game should be like a gentlemen's duel. Set both teams off on as equal footing as possible, and let the outcome be decided by raw skill. CS:GO has way too much extraneous crap all over the screen and the maps. It'd be fine if it wasn't CS... But... It's CS.

Having said all that, I'm sure a lot of 1.6 diehards felt the same about CSS as I do about CS:GO, but I feel like CSS nailed the balance between visuals and clarity pretty nicely. 1.6 is still the best game out of all of them.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I've heard this one before. In 5 years when the next version of CS is released I'm sure you'll tell us how it isn't nearly as good as 1.6, Source, and GO.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

"It was better when it was a mod!"

"It was better when it didn't require Steam!"

"1.6 was better!"

"Source was better!"

Please stop.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anab0lic said:

1.6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6gcmbioqiE

CSS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QABpyXwJScc

Yeah... you wont see a highlight reel of frags like that in csgo movies... so much faster, SO MUCH MORE SKILL BASED and a zillion times more entertaining/impressive to watch. But none of that matters right? Cuz csgo got dem skinz... CSGO is an absolutely fucking facepalm bad to anyone who has a long history with counterstrike. Sad times.

Pro tip, you can still play Source or 1.6 all you want. The vast majority of people have realized that GO has improved immensely since it was released and it still being updated and tweaked. Also it is way more popular than 1.6 or Source ever was and only seems to be getting bigger. And if you can't find some entertainment in some of the high level games, I can't help you. The MLG Aspen event was amazing, and the games in the current tournament have been great as well.

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By anab0lic

@e30bmw: You can't play Source... Well you can, but the version that exists today is a shadow of its former self. In 2010 the same clueless team (hidden path entertainment) that made csgo ruined it with a serious of patches that dramatically changed the way it played...and it still remains in that broken state today sadly. Also the main problems that exist in csgo that have been there right from the beginning have still not been fixed, much of the magic that was in both 1.6 and css just isnt there.....

Just watching the frag movies in my OP you can see how different the gameplay is.... notice in the csgo frag movies they have a shoutcaster having to hype every scene because the gameplay alone isnt all that impressive.... play some fast music and it doesnt fit the slowertempo of csgo, like it does in 1.6 and css movies. The skill ceiling is a lot lower in csgo, you can be a top player in just a few months if you bother to put the effort in, the difference between someone playing the former games years and months was enormous.. there just isnt anywhere near that much to master in csgo.

Also the reason why csgo has playerbase far higher than source ever did is not because its a better game (because it absolutely isnt) but instead because.

a) Steam userbase has grown IMMENSELY since the days CS source was in its prime.

b) Constant Free advertising/exposure on websites like twitch.

c) Valve have actually bothered to support the esports side of things offering big prize pools for tournements

d) Skins -_-

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#14  Edited By sammo21

At this point in my life I can say this as a person who has played CS fairly consistently for a long time (since the original beta 4). I LOVED CS back in beta. I religiously played it and was fairly good at it. I think beta 6.5 was the best the game's ever been, but whatever. 1.5 sucked, but it was still fun to play. CS:S was fine, but that's when I dropped off but I still played for hundreds of hours in total. CS:GO isn't fun to me, but honestly...I've played CS for like...15-16 years and its not fun anymore.

I will occasionally play with my brother, who hilariously is just now relatively getting into it, but overall I don't care for it. I think CS:S was more fun than GO, but GO is still fine. CS:GO does have some crazy issues with shots reading correctly at times, so I've not taken the game seriously at all. Also, their hardcore push with the typical Valve microtransactions and auction house stuff added to my loathing for their model. I'm still in the camp that TF2 was better before they spun up the hat machine.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only ever played CS:GO and I've dropped around 50 hours in. Really enjoyed it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"It was better when it was a mod!"

"It was better when it didn't require Steam!"

"1.6 was better!"

"Source was better!"

Please stop.

The cycle repeats. I can't wait for the next Counter Strike in 8 years where people say "1.6, Source, and GO were the best, this new game is shit!"

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By jkz

Source was never taken especially seriously in high level competitive circles. GO gained way more traction, way more quickly, at least once valve stepped in for HPE, so *shrug*

*EDIT* With that said I played 2k hours of 1.6, 1.5k of source, and now 1k of GO, so obviously I didn't HATE source or anything. But cmon this is silly. Have an opinion / a favorite, sure, but trying to argue that GO is an objective step down is silly. GO has problems that need to be fixed, yes; so did source, though (even before it got decimated by HPE).

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think GO is pretty cool, especially to watch. Maybe your nostalgia is making you biased.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

@doctorchimp said:

Third Strike is awesome

I could not agree with you any more.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cikame

I'm a long time CS player, i agree with the previous versions being better but the ease of finding a game in CSGO is unmatched. A lot more questionable lag related things happen, once a week i get booted for having files which don't match the server, sometimes the mouse disappears, sometimes menus get stuck on screen, but being able to form a 5v5 within seconds is beautiful.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This reminds me of the Broodwar elitist shitting on Starcraft 2. You cant keep playing a 10 year old game forever. Also maybe not in CS, but mechancis and user friendliness has to evolve. Does not mean the hidden depth is not there, its just a different kind.

All though, those videos are sick I will give you that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all subjective. I've been playing CS since around beta 6. CS:GO is fine. Games evolve. If you want 1.6, it still exists. One doesn't require more skill than the other, and you can find a ton of highlight reels similar to the ones posted. It's fine to prefer one version of the game over another, but trying to act like one is objectively better than the other is silly. At least give some specific reasons and examples if you want to talk about which version you prefer. Saying things like "You won't find highlight reels like this" and "a zillion time more..." doesn't start a conversation. It just causes everyone to go back and forth with "nuh-uh!" and "yu-huh!". What are your reasons for enjoying 1.6 and CSS more than GO? What about 1.6 makes it more skill based than GO? You say CS:GO is "fucking facepalm bad". You've got to have more to say with an opinion that strong. Having a preference for one thing doesn't make another thing automatically terrible.

TL;DR - Simple "___ sucks" posts don't lead anywhere. Strong opinions should have strong reasoning. X being better than Y doesn't make Y bad.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think GO is pretty cool, especially to watch. Maybe your nostalgia is making you biased.

You're not the only one. ~1 million concurrent viewers in the finals today at Katowice. I'm hoping that Valve does some kind of "International" for GO this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.