How Was Your First Counter Strike Experience?

• 109 results
#1 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

I'm going to buy Counter Strike: Global Offensive on ps3. I'm just curious to know how Counter Strike was like for you. I've been hearing that Counter Strike is hardcore. That its a game for people that has a strong mindset, and blood that has gone cold.

Watching this vid it seem like that type of game that will take time to get use to. It looks like its going to be challenging but alot of fun. I can't wait to check this game out when its released.

#2 Edited by doobie (605 posts) -

how much you love CS is directly proportional to how hardcore you are.

i hope you realize just how much hardcore CS player will look down on you for playing the PS3 version.

you are dog shit on their shoe.

#3 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

Good CS players are like fucking Animals.

Admittedly you say you're playing on PS3 so it won't nearly be the same, but still.

#4 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

So I guess the community for CS is very mean?

#5 Edited by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

I started playing CS back when it was just a mod for Half-Life. By the time it was on the shelves of stores being sold in a box I was dominating the top slot of every server I joined and boasting about my superior k/d... I miss those days. It would be great if GO could recapture the magic of my early days with CS. 

#6 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@doobie: A "hardcore" player shouldn't need to give a shit regarding which platform a person wants to buy the upcoming Counter Strike game on. It's not their problem and they have no right to criticize anyone on their choice of platform. I love CS and I used to play all the time, but I get my ass handed to me all the time. Is it fun? Yes but it can also be irritating because I'm solely a console gamer and not accustomed to that style of play, hence why I'll be getting the game on 360.

#7 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

Jonathan Blow, creator of Braid and upcoming "The Witness", was a hardcore Counter-Strike player.

Nuff said.

#8 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

The only counter strike I played was Source and my god some of those people had horrid attitudes so I never really got into Counter strike.

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I shot someone, someone shot me.
They went crazy in the chat, I never played it again.

#10 Edited by HarlechQuinn (449 posts) -

Started it when it still was a mod for Half-Life... Didn't like it and switched to other mods like Action Half-Life or The Opera.

#11 Posted by Nilhelm (28 posts) -

It's not that hardcore man. It's kinda like Halo where people who plays it thinks they are the shitz, and though it is true there are some really good players out there, there are also alot of average players to.

I played alot of CS 1.5 on LAN and Hamachi years ago and remember having a blast with friends. When Steam came around I played alot of CSS aswell, but after TF2 came out I lost intrest and moved over to that.

Have fun with it!

#12 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (733 posts) -

My first experience of Counter-Strike?

Being called a fucking cunt n00b.

#13 Edited by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -
@HarlechQuinn said:

Started it when it still was a mod for Half-Life... Didn't liked it and switched to other mods like Action Half-Life or The Opera.

Action Half-Life was the greatest thing ever... the earlier version, before the patches.
#14 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -

Great fun with friends at a LAN. Flying in the sky and being the invisible sniper; hiding in places where we shouldn't really be able to get to and so making the learning process for every map a back and forth; exploring new maps and giving feedback if the creator was one of the group; running guns around each round if there was a valuable weapon that a corpse had dropped. Man, those were some special times and it always seemed to be a good match of serious play and emergent fun.

Later, the real game was kinda finished and that CS was also quite fun, but it never quite matched the early days of glitches, exploits, and adventure.

#15 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

I think I will record some gameplay vids of Global Offensive on ps3.

#16 Posted by adam1808 (1499 posts) -

If I ever play Counterstrike GO it'll be on PS3 just to make that caustic community flip out. I tried learning to play Source once and that was the beginning of my dislike for competitive gaming in general.

#17 Posted by ch3burashka (5082 posts) -

@doobie said:

how much you love CS is directly proportional to how hardcore you are.

i hope you realize just how much hardcore CS player will look down on you for playing the PS3 version.

you are dog shit on their shoe.

The whole point of GO is that no one will know what you're playing on. He'll be matched up with Xbox players and shitty PC players, so the community will come to accept everyone.

I always heard CS was filled with the hardest of cores, and that it was impenetrable if you haven't been playing from day one, but I started only last year on CS:S. After running around like a dumbass and playing 'who can hold the left mouse button the longest', I finally got a feeling for how the shooting works (move slowly, prioritize headshots, shoot once, etc), and have been able to hold my own. Morale of the story - never assume you can't get into a game because it's been out too long. I'm sure I could hold my own after two weeks of getting a feel for Halo Reach.

#18 Posted by Xymox (2088 posts) -

I played beta 7 for a bit, but didn't really get fully into the game until the release of 1.0. Stayed all the way until 1.3 and played that for quite a bit. That's around the time when I joined a clan, which was an interesting experience - and probably the way to go. Public servers put a lot of emphasis on individual players being really good, but there was a much better feeling of team-play when playing as a clan.

They patched the game and changed a lot of stuff and after that I kind of just lost interest. Came back around 1.5/1.6 or whatever it was but didn't stay too long as I ended up playing a substantial amount of CSS instead. The most hardest of the core seem to remain in 1.6 though. Funniest thing I noticed last time was that the community changed a lot since the earlier days. They seemed more mature now, but I might've just lucked out with the server I ended up on.

You're curious to know how it was, well... More often than not, imagine a server with a lot of rude and competitive people packed tightly together, really. Because one player playing well could make or break a single round, there was a lot of pressure on individual players to do good. And when they did bad, more often than not, it wasn't exactly followed with words of encouragement for the player to do better, but rather people treating their team mates with a pissy attitude.

So yeah. CS.

Now this is not a statement of "more harder core than thou" or to sound like a big jerk.. but if the console version has aim assist, that's going to seem like a really bad joke to me. Mostly because I've been part of a really competitive side of it, where you need to be a good shot in order to compete, it just comes of as really backwards and I get a sense of "Huh? Why would they bring this to consoles?" since I don't think it'll translate that well. I guess that, and aimbots in general were looked down upon quite intensely. Hopefully it's understandable why I'd think that/where I'm coming from with that.

#19 Edited by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

I first played Counter-Strike whilst it was at version 1.3, which, incidentally was released on September 12, 2001.

GABEN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?

It was good times, shooting people and dying.

Good times.

I also played Counter-Strike on the orginal Xbox, over LIVE. Good times...

GREGK WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?

#20 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

You'll die a lot. But if you stick to it you'll learn the basics and maybe even get a kill! Remember, crouch and burst firing at the head is your friend.

#21 Edited by CaLe (3985 posts) -

It was in 2001 and I played it at a friend's house. I didn't know anything and told him to just buy me the biggest gun. I ran into de_dust tunnels just spraying everywhere and got headshot instantly. I later went on to be in one of the best UK CS teams, Ufo / ImaGine. My biggest moment was a match vs. 4 Kings, where I ended up 1 on 1 vs. Mangiacapra and totally outplayed him to take the round.

Oh I can't leave out my knife kill on HeatoN. They had SK member servers for a while and sometimes the SK guys would jump on. It was a deathmatch server so it wasn't very hard to get knife kills. Still, not many people can say they have even killed HeatoN, let alone knifed him.

In CS, more than other games, it's pretty important to find a good server to play on. With people of a decent skill level and not just spamming chat. A sign of a good server is a bunch of people with low pings and an empty chat. People using the chat usually aren't very good. Well if you're new, they might still be way better than you.. Anyway yeah. Don't confuse those guys with CS players who actually are good. Then again, many of the best players don't even play on public servers. I did mostly for warm-up before clan matches.

#22 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

They got rid of the cross console play as far as I know.

I was a competitive CS player; started in the beta, had a break, got cable and started again in 1.3 through a lot of Source before calling it quits.

I'll be playing GO on PC when it comes out, and some of the old gang is getting back together for it. I doubt I'll be playing it to the same level, as I don't have the same amount of time to devote to playing compared to the old days, but I am hoping I'll still have enough in the tank to enjoy myself.

Regarding the CS community, they are, almost universally, a group of insular, highly competitive, often downright nasty pricks...with some exceptions. The secret was always to find a group of regulars to play with, but I imagine that will be tougher in the console version. The game is probably the most skill-focused shooter out there in terms of twitch reflexes and aim, and you will get absolutely dominated until you get good. This, I think, is the reason for the particular breed of ass-hattery common in the CS playerbass.

#23 Posted by Meltac (2002 posts) -

Damn, 5 vs. 5 on consoles is not a lot. 

#24 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

Well sense I'm a solo player and I prefer not using a mic. Trying to be apart of a clan isn't for me. But I got the overall idea of what to expect from counter-strike. Pretty much I have to be tactical, take things slow or else I'll get beasted on. Try not to rush and work together with my teammates If I can, and expect a vulgar community. I think I'll be able to handle myself once I get use to everything.

#25 Posted by Loafsmooch (349 posts) -

I first played CS when I was like 12. Got hooked instantly and still playing 10 years later. The satisfaction that comes with being extremely good in a competitive game is just so immense, I'll probably never stop playing. Didn't care much for source, hoping GO is good enough to make me switch up from 1.6.

I only play on one single server these days simply because whenever I hop to different servers I get accused of hacking 8 times out of 10. Most times admins even ban me without any recorded proof.

I'm not very social when I play, I'm so used to being called nasty things and accused by the kids that I just shut off. Not chatting actually makes me get "in the zone" easier.

#26 Posted by deox (216 posts) -

I played it back when it was still only a Half-Life mod. I believe it was one of my first online gaming experiences and man... it was intimidating. Even back then when the game was fairly new, the community was ruthless. The minute it became obvious that I was new to the game, my own team mates would start throwing insults at me and shame me into leaving the match. But despite being called a fucking n00b every 5 minutes the game itself was a lot of fun. If your into competitive shooters I think you'll enjoy it too. Since you're playing it on PS3 you probably won't have to deal with the hardened CS fan base you would find in the PC version. Which will undoubtedly make your first time experience less stressful.

#27 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@Loafsmooch said:

I first played CS when I was like 12. Got hooked instantly and still playing 10 years later. The satisfaction that comes with being extremely good in a competitive game is just so immense, I'll probably never stop playing. Didn't care much for source, hoping GO is good enough to make me switch up from 1.6.

I only play on one single server these days simply because whenever I hop to different servers I get accused of hacking 8 times out of 10. Most times admins even ban me without any recorded proof.

I'm not very social when I play, I'm so used to being called nasty things and accused by the kids that I just shut off. Not chatting actually makes me get "in the zone" easier.

Yeah I don't like chatting much in online games either. Usually people start calling me the N word everytime I try to talk.

#28 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I used to play a lot of Counter Strike Source, and it was fun. But i was never top of the servers, and usually my kill death ratio was negative. But... there would always be this felling when your waiting for the other team to rush you in Office, or when your sneaking around in De_dust, that is unmatched in any other game.

I eventualy found a low gravity server playing a custom match that I spent a lot of time on. And it was great. Fun times.

But yes... as others have said, you will die a lot.

#29 Posted by Loafsmooch (349 posts) -

@falserelic: That sucks man. Racists are just beings of lesser intelligence or really immature kids..

#30 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

At a LAN way, way back. I'll probably pub/pug a bit of GO, but I'm kind of done with CS competitively. I was never THAT fond of Source, and now that GO has random recoil patterns, I don't think I'll enjoy that nor will my muscle memory.

@Meltac said:

Damn, 5 vs. 5 on consoles is not a lot.

That's honestly the only way CS should really be played.

#31 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -

First time I played was in an Internet cafe and it was amazingly fun. First time I played on the open web was a nightmare. If your gettin into the game id say ps3 is the way to go

#32 Edited by falserelic (5437 posts) -

Did some of you guys play CS for money? Like clan vs clan battles or just for honer.

#33 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Did some of you guys play CS for money? Like clan vs clan battles or just for honer.

Yeah, and leagues that required fees to enter.

#34 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

First time i played CS it was 1.3 at an internet cafe was really fun. But seriously if you thought the MOBA community was bad you have another thing coming when playing CS. They are some of the worst people on the internet. Also how the hell do you play CS on a controller?

#35 Edited by CaLe (3985 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Did some of you guys play CS for money? Like clan vs clan battles or for honer.

There used to be online leagues. We won things like a free CS server, Ventrilo server and IRC bouncer bots. Most money competitions take place at LAN though, not online. I don't follow the current scene so I'm not even sure what the prize money is like nowadays. The most I ever won was a headset, mouse, and graphics card.

Many teams would have multiple clan matches each week night. There are IRC rooms dedicated to finding other teams to play against. A lot of it is just for practice though, for when you actually do have a league match.

#36 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

First time i played CS it was 1.3 at an internet cafe was really fun. But seriously if you thought the MOBA community was bad you have another thing coming when playing CS. They are some of the worst people on the internet. Also how the hell do you play CS on a controller?

Well sense I'm used to player shooters on consoles. For me it feels natural and comfortable. When I try to play online games on PC like Team Fortress 2. For me I kinda have a hard time playing. Because I'm not used to playing online games with a mouse and keyboard.

#37 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@falserelic said:

There used to be online leagues. We won things like a free CS server, Ventrilo server and IRC bouncer bots. Most money competitions take place at LAN though, not online. I don't follow the current scene so I'm not even sure what the prize money is like nowadays. The most I ever won was a headset, mouse, and graphics card.

Many teams would have multiple clan matches each week night. There are IRC rooms dedicated to finding other teams to play against. A lot of it is just for practice though, for when you actually do have a league match.

Sounds like people can really take CS very seriously. But its cool to see they offer different rewards.

#38 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

I played it almost a decade ago. I named myself DOOM HOSE and I bought an LMG and just held down fire into chokepoints. I wasn't good or anything like that, but sometimes I would catch them all off guard because they expect me to play the right way.

#39 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@CaLe said:

@falserelic said:

Sounds like people can really take CS very seriously. But its cool to see they offer different rewards.

http://goplay.se/videos/637/xap-the-winter-tale/ A good video of some very nice skill shots^^ Yes, it was taken seriously but still a lot of fun. Competing at a high level in anything intrinsically feels good.

#40 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Won servers and things over the years, but I never enjoyed LANing and so avoided any opportunities to compete for serious prizes...not that I was ever that good compared to the dudes who did play comp at that level.

I don't mind 16 player servers for pubbing, but 5 vs 5 or 6 vs 6 even definitely feels more focused.

Not to mention tense. That game, due to the ease with which you can die, builds tension like no other that I've played.

#41 Posted by Ares42 (2669 posts) -

oh man, my first CS experience.. I first played it way back when it had barely just started. Still remember having to buy specific ammo for specific weapons (always fun when you bought a weapon and had no clue what ammo it used). Back then there was nothing like it. The only thing comparable was some mod we had played in Quake 2 that had classes, but even that still had some of the more arcade stylings (like a class with a jetpack and only rocket launcher). Can't remember if we played it online at first, but if not it didn't take long before we started building up some heavy ISDN bills =D

#42 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@falserelic said:

@CaLe said:

@falserelic said:

http://goplay.se/videos/637/xap-the-winter-tale/ A good video of some very nice skill shots^^ Yes, it was taken seriously but still a lot of fun. Competing at a high level in anything intrinsically feels good.

I just seen that wake me up inside CS vid. I definitely will have to take things slow when I play Global Offensive.

#43 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I just don't get how they couldn't improve these horrible-as-fuck weapon / hand models. These are just gross. Look, i know the gameplay is what's important, but if i'm going to stare at a gun the whole time, make it cool-looking.

#44 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Klei

I just don't get how they couldn't improve these horrible-as-fuck weapon / hand models. These are just gross. Look, i know the gameplay is what's important, but if i'm going to stare at a gun the whole time, make it cool-looking.

Models and skins; I didn't have a single default gun when I was playing.

I loved my gangsta Mac10
#45 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

I guess people really do take counter-strike to heart.

#46 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

I played my first rounds of CS:S last December during the Valve gift grab stuff. I'd never really been into military shooters, so I was just goofing around and trying to find a loadout that worked for my playstyle. It was tough, but I was consistently getting at least one kill a round. Because I spent a lot of time wandering around the maps to get the lay of the land, there were more than a few times I missed brutal firefights that decimated my team, so I was the last man standing. I even managed to win a round like that by popping a terrorist in the head just as they were coming to ambush me. What's great about Counter Strike is how much Valve understands the reward-you-even-if-you're-still-learning aspect of achievements. So even while you're dying constantly, it's still raining cheevos, which is a nice feeling. I've never really encountered any shit talking on any of the servers I've played on, but I typically ignore the chat feed and, if I'm playing on my laptop, I have the speakers muted.

As a result of those reasonably positive experiences, I'm pretty excited for CS:GO. Really enjoyed what I played of the beta. Arms Race is a neat little mode, too. Since it's so cheap, I'm considering picking it up for PS3 as well as PC.

#47 Edited by mikeeegeee (1562 posts) -

I played adamantly from 1.2 to Source, took an extended break because of WoW, but got back into Source back in February.

The things people are saying about the community are somewhat true. I think something that is being mostly overlooked is that the community is actually really diverse. In the PC realm, if you grew tired of traditional bomb defusal or hostage rescue maps/servers, there were TONS of "fun" servers. Becoming a regular on any server is one of the greatest joys CS can bring, but I had the best time frequenting these sorts. These servers played "fy" maps that rarely had an objective aside from wiping out the other team, and the maps were traditionally much simpler (iceworld, awp map, pool day, etc). Many of these maps restricted you to using one gun, and sometimes admins would allow for low gravity.

And there were still other server-side mods that made the game even crazier. Jet pack allowed you to boost anywhere, rope allowed you to swing at incredible speeds around the map, and Warcraft Mod spawned its own unique community by adding a leveling component and tons of new abilities. And then, there's Gun Game, which I'm fairly certain was first conceived of in CS. Oh fuck, I almost forgot surf maps!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you're playing the traditional way, there's only one way to succeed: play the objective, work as a team, kill everybody. The subtle tweaks that the community came up with often times placed more of a focus on fun. Unfortunately for the console crowd, these tweaks will probably be lost on you. Sorta doubting if GO will have any PC tweaks either, but here's hoping!

#48 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@scarace360 said:

Well sense I'm used to player shooters on consoles. For me it feels natural and comfortable. When I try to play online games on PC like Team Fortress 2. For me I kinda have a hard time playing. Because I'm not used to playing online games with a mouse and keyboard.

But will you still use it even when there is no aim assist? Just curious never heard of anyone playing cs with a controller.

#49 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@falserelic said:

@scarace360 said:

But will you still use it even when there is no aim assist? Just curious never heard of anyone playing cs with a controller.

Aim assist or not. If I'm having fun with the game that's all that matters. I just hope I don't have a bad experience on my first time playing CS:GO. It seem like the main issue with CS is the online community.

#50 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@scarace360 said:

@falserelic said:

@scarace360 said:

Aim assist or not. If I'm having fun with the game that's all that matters. I just hope I don't have a bad experience on my first time playing CS:GO. It seem like the main issue with CS is the online community.

i wouldn't bother with it if you just have attitude of 'just playing for fun' that will not wash.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.