Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 21, 2012

The fourth iteration of Valve's team-based modern-military first-person shooter, rebuilt and constantly expanded for competitive play with new maps, new weapons, and new gameplay mechanics. It was later made free-to-play and most versions were later replaced with the sequel.

I just played Counter Strike for the first time since 2005.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Anund

I chose the casual game setting. I just came off Tribes where I did alright, but holy moly do I suck at CS: GO. It's not even funny. I think I got 3 kills in 30 matches. Total. Starting to think this wasn't my best purchase, hehe.

LangarN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By LangarN

Hey man! You should try some Arms Race to get some shooting practice. Im sure you will find more succes about killing fools in that mode in the start

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

In my experience, Tribes and CS use slightly different skill sets. All you need is more practice with the skill set needed to excel in CS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had one thought when I tried the CSGO beta:

"I'm already dead."

It was, unsurprisingly, pretty accurate.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CatsAkimbo

I've only fired CS up maybe once every few months since 2005 as well, but I've been doing well for the most part. Maybe I've just been lucky and finding servers with people new to Counter Strike, which is kind of my main problem with the game: I can't find one server to call home and learn who the "regulars" are who play on it.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By scarace360

You just need practice. I was like that last week and now im going about 12 and 18 in a 30 round game.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

I've never played CS, but I'm really considering purchasing it on PSN.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones

Yup. Sound like my experience with counter strike

Solidfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Solidfox

The only time I ever play Counter Strike is to play the dumb mini game servers and listen to people talk about how smoking dope makes them play better. Until CS: GO has that, I'll just keep playing CSS

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yinstarrunner

Don't worry.  I'm actually pretty alright at CS:S (in pubs, anyway), but I get my shit wrecked in GO.  It's different.  It will take some practice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

yeah, the shooting mechanics in GO are very random compared to 1.6 and Source. I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Dagbiker

I found CS:GO easy compared to what I remember of CSS. Every match I was getting at least one kill. Of coarse I wasnt stopping for anything, and kept moving. so most of my kills were people trying to sneak around corners.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Etnos

@Anund: I think you are comparing Apples with Oranges, the skill set for CS Go and Tribes is quite different, give it some time duder its a classic.

As far as CS Go I'm liking it so far, its CS with a modern flavor

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Anund

Hehe, yeah, I'm sure it's just a matter of practice. I will try Arms Race tonight :)

pekarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pekarn

If you are new to CS or just haven't played in a long while I highly recommend playing against bots for a few matches just go get up to speed on the mechanics and feel of the game. Then you can start playing against other people.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By jacdg

I seem to be dumping a full clip into dudes, while they just kill me instantly, looked at my stats and my accuracy is HORRENDOUS I really miss some more feedback to let me know if I'm hitting a dude. Basically I've become that guy I hate being on the team with when I play shooters on console, where I am actually good. This game just says fuck you, if you aren't experienced. I can barely break even in arms race, but at least that is somewhat fun.. It's not been that long since I played some Source, a few months, and I did pretty alright there compared to the shitstomping I've been receiving so far, not sure I have the patience to ever become better than plain shit.

Tonyyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tonyyj

A tip for those who are used to CS:S, change the crosshairs from default to classic. When I jumped into CS:GO coming from CS:S I was getting scores of around 5-10, after my buddy told me that you could actually change the crosshairs I immediately jumped to regularly getting 2:1/3:1 ratios in pubs.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexW00d

@JacDG said:

I seem to be dumping a full clip into dudes, while they just kill me instantly, looked at my stats and my accuracy is HORRENDOUS I really miss some more feedback to let me know if I'm hitting a dude. Basically I've become that guy I hate being on the team with when I play shooters on console, where I am actually good. This game just says fuck you, if you aren't experienced. I can barely break even in arms race, but at least that is somewhat fun.. It's not been that long since I played some Source, a few months, and I did pretty alright there compared to the shitstomping I've been receiving so far, not sure I have the patience to ever become better than plain shit.

Dumping is the worst thing you can do. Aim. And shoot in bursts. But mostly aim.

teapoted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By teapoted

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

yeah, the shooting mechanics in GO are very random compared to 1.6 and Source. I'm still trying to get my head around it.

They really aren't random. The shooting is a lot more like 1.6 than it is source. Source and 1.6 however, is vastly different.

The biggest issue I typically see from people who say "they can't kill anyone" is that they have bad rhythm for stopping and shooting, are not bursting, or are just not stopping to shoot. This is something that source players are particularly bad at as you can run and shoot in Source.

I say this as someone who also hasn't played CS for 5 years, in that period I might have played a total of 3-4 hours. However, I was a fairly high skilled 1.3-1.6 player (in the Swedish community), and I found the game very easy to adapt to and after around 300 rounds had a k/d of about 2.5 (which when only playing 5v5 competitive is high).

Overall though, I like that they've made it easy to get into a good game of classic mode cs. But, they've really screwed up by making the models not stand out, the maps over-complicated, the sounds non-impactful, the textures low contrast. The mechanics however, I don't mind too much, being constantly shot in the head by allies because it's impossible to see the difference between me and enemies, I mind quite a bit.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Branthog

@Anund said:

I chose the casual game setting. I just came off Tribes where I did alright, but holy moly do I suck at CS: GO. It's not even funny. I think I got 3 kills in 30 matches. Total. Starting to think this wasn't my best purchase, hehe.

It comes back to you very quickly. Just stick with it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Phatmac

yep. not for me.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I can't get over how easily I've picked it up considering I haven't played CS onion a couple of ears.

I've been regularly getting 2:1 - 6:1 ratios in competitive and doing it easily, it seems the game really fits me naturally. Then again, I was always better at 1.6 than Source.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Branthog

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

I can't get over how easily I've picked it up considering I haven't played CS onion a couple of ears. I've been regularly getting 2:1 - 6:1 ratios in competitive and doing it easily, it seems the game really fits me naturally. Then again, I was always better at 1.6 than Source.

CS:Onion?

Yeah, it has been awhile since I've played seriously, again. I am surprised how quickly I'm picking it up. I mean, I used to run a very popular server for years out of OSU and put thousands of hours into the game. Then I stopped for a long time. And aged. And slowed. And got bad eyesight. I didn't care much about CS:GO until recently. Mostly, because I knew I was beyond the point where I could hold my own.

But then I started playing. And god damn if I am not always near or at the top in the boards. It's good to get back in the game. :)

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By jacdg
    @AlexW00d said:

@JacDG said:

I seem to be dumping a full clip into dudes, while they just kill me instantly, looked at my stats and my accuracy is HORRENDOUS I really miss some more feedback to let me know if I'm hitting a dude. Basically I've become that guy I hate being on the team with when I play shooters on console, where I am actually good. This game just says fuck you, if you aren't experienced. I can barely break even in arms race, but at least that is somewhat fun.. It's not been that long since I played some Source, a few months, and I did pretty alright there compared to the shitstomping I've been receiving so far, not sure I have the patience to ever become better than plain shit.

Dumping is the worst thing you can do. Aim. And shoot in bursts. But mostly aim.

I know, I have some habits from playing numerous console shooters religiously for the past 5 years, but even when someone has their back to me and I just fire expecting them to die, they manage to turn around and just kill me instantly, I lack the hit feedback that I've been used to for so long. I see their is an option in the menu called weapon range, hopefully that will provide me with more of that, and make me used to the recoil, I've been crouching and burst firering a bit, but that only got me killed faster because I was standing still.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlexW00d

@JacDG: Yeah I only ever play CSS with friends, dudes on the internet are too good. It's scary how fast they can pop around a corner/door/whatever and headshot you and pop back into cover.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zekhariah

CS:GO definitely is a good way to realize that you are not half as good at gaming as your middle/high school self.

Although, the game play is definitely top-shelf and looks / feels like counterstrike. No progression system is also a nice plus, as even if you are worse there is not a uphill battle where you might be fighting someone who straight up has a advantage on top of that.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Humanity

I think CS in any form is rough to get into at this stage. I played CS before CS1.6 pretty heavily every day and was pretty damn good at the time. At this point I realize that a good portion of the CS community is compromised of players that were like me, only never stopped playing. I'm sure with practice everything will become better but it's almost like jumping into Gears of War multiplayer - it will take a long time to get used to the game mechanics and the fact that you're mostly playing against players who have years of experience under their belt, getting those mechanics down isn't any easier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.