I pre-purchased, but where is the beta today?

#1 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

So I bought CS:GO, noticing that on the store page it says I'd get access to the beta starting today... do I have to wait until they e-mail a key to enter it? I don't see any options on steam to download it.

#2 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -
#3 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1435 posts) -

@LtColJaxson: So when does the beta start for those of us that pre ordered?

#4 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

@Dizzyhippos:

In about 2 and a half hours from now... I assume there will be a download option available on Steam.

#5 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1435 posts) -

sorry if your link answered that question but I dont click links online, EVER!

#6 Posted by scottp (238 posts) -

Its still not up :(

#7 Posted by LangarN (131 posts) -

I don't think they have said any official time. Pretty stoked for this game tho!

#8 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

I am a little tiny bit mad that I still don't have access well into August 14th....

And the steam forums are down....

I'm not ready to make a big stink just yet... but if this beta doesn't go up soon I am going to be pretty pissed. I only have a few days to play the Beta before I go away, then I have school when I get back and won't have time to play this.

#9 Posted by TMThomsen (2073 posts) -

@Dizzyhippos said:

You must have a hard time.

#10 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1435 posts) -

@TMThomsen said:

@Dizzyhippos said:

You must have a hard time.

half asleep, may of fibbed a bit

#11 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

Just looked at the Steam forums, people are really taking this too seriously.. I am a bit disappointed that it is not out, but I can wait a few hours.

#12 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

The trolling is unreal.... lol

#13 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -
#14 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@DG991 said:

The trolling is unreal.... lol

No, it's Source Engine 2.

#16 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@Ravenlight: The source of the trolling is source engine 2, but the trolling itself is unreal.

#17 Posted by yoshisaur (2722 posts) -

@LtColJaxson: That is an awesome website.

#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

There are people who didn't already have beta access?

#19 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

There are people who didn't already have beta access?

Yeah, this is pretty amusing. I've had this game since like April. I assumed it was much wider than it seems.

#20 Posted by i69edUrGpa (586 posts) -

Predictions on how much of a nightmare this will be on my Macbook Air?

#21 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

Does this game have custom maps yet?

I only ask because surfing.

#22 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

@i69edUrGpa said:

I was wondering the same thing about my laptop, which uses Intel HD graphics. You might be able to play it on lower settings.

#23 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@i69edUrGpa said:

I was wondering the same thing about my laptop, which uses Intel HD graphics. You might be able to play it on lower settings.

Mac Requirements:

• Processor: Intel Core Duo Processor (2GHz or better)
  • Memory: 2GB RAM
  • Hard Disk Space: At least 7.6GB of Space
  • Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 or better / NVidia 8600M or better

Windows Requirements:

• Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 processor or better
  • Memory: 1GB XP / 2GB Vista
  • Video Card: Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 3.0
#24 Posted by i69edUrGpa (586 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp: Yikes! Oh well, just don't have my PC with me right now, few more weeks once I move back for school :(

#25 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@believer258 said:

@i69edUrGpa said:

Mac Requirements:

• Processor: Intel Core Duo Processor (2GHz or better)
  • Memory: 2GB RAM
  • Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 or better / NVidia 8600M or better

Windows Requirements:

• Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 processor or better
  • Memory: 1GB XP / 2GB Vista
  • Video Card: Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 3.0

That does not tell me anything about whether or not it will run on Intel HD graphics because there's not really a comparison between integrated graphics and whatever actual card it might equal, and neither will "canyourunit" or any similar thing.

Doesn't matter, chances are it won't run well on an onboard chip, but sometimes I get surprised and someone makes it run playably. Still, I'd rather get the console version that works right with no issues than I would a PC version that I'm not even sure will run; even then I'd rather just wait and get the proper PC version when I've got a proper PC.

#26 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

@believer258: My bad, I should have answered the actual question(and learn to read)! How new is the laptop you've got? If it's brand spanking new it might run pretty well with the integrated graphics card. Then again, if you don't mind playing counter strike on a console (ahhh good ol' xbox counter strike...) you could go with that. But, if you're in no rush go for the long term plan about getting the pc version once you've got a fancy-dancy computer!

EDIT: Also, I just checked and it is out right now (roughly 6pm EST)

#27 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@believer258: My bad, I should have answered the actual question(and learn to read)! How new is the laptop you've got? If it's brand spanking new it might run pretty well with the integrated graphics card. Then again, if you don't mind playing counter strike on a console (ahhh good ol' xbox counter strike...) you could go with that. But, if you're in no rush go for the long term plan about getting the pc version once you've got a fancy-dancy computer!

EDIT: Also, I just checked and it is out right now (roughly 6pm EST)

That's fine, I'm actually not buying any more games until I can get a gaming PC.

Anyway, my laptop was bought in 2010 and has the aforementioned Intel HD graphics with 4GB RAM and an i3 M350 processor. It can run every source game well enough to beat it up until now, but keep in mind that I had to turn Portal 2 down pretty far.

Chances are, I'll be able to play it, but not comfortably. I'm going to see if there's a demo.

#28 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

@believer258: chances are there'll at least be a free weekend coming down the pike, give it a shot then. I know what you mean, there's something about playing games on low settings...

#29 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Game seems pretty good. I really like the feel of it.

Of course all the 1.6 kids are still bitchin.....

#30 Posted by BoG (5188 posts) -

How do I get access to the beta? I own the game, but can't download anything. The store page acknowledges my purchase, but I can't find anyway to get the beta. Can anyone help me out here?

#31 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

@BoG: did you try restarting steam? it didn't show up on my game list until I restarted steam...

#32 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

@BoG:

Hey, if you haven't found it already - it's actually listed as a seperate game. I have both Counter Strike: Global Offensive, as well as Counter Strike: Global Offensive Beta listed on my Steam library. Only the beta you can download, while the full game is still inaccessible.

#33 Posted by BoG (5188 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp: I've restarted three times now. Once, I restarted my computer completely. Nothing.

@LtColJaxson: The first thing I did was search for the beta in the store, but I can't find it.

#34 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

@BoG: okay, I think Gabe just has your IP address and wants to fuck with you. That's quite preposterous. The only other thing I could recommend is emailing valve support to see what the deal is... That's pretty terrible

#35 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

@BoG:

The beta isn't in the Steam store. When you pre-order CS:GO, the beta and the game should show up like this:

#36 Posted by BoG (5188 posts) -

After another reset, it showed up! Thanks for all y'alls help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.